Outdoor Weddings
Options

Do I really need flowers for ceremony?

My FI and I are getting married outside (with a tent over us) and the ceremony is only going to be 15-20 minutes max. My FI and I were thinking of decorating the ceremony area (the chairs and the arch) with just tulle in a tasteful mannor, but my mom thinks that I NEED flowers for the area. My FI and I feel like the tulle is all we need and we don't want to spend more time (or a ton of money) for an area that we're only using for 15 minutes. 

Am I wrong for saying that we don't need flowers to decorate the ceremony area? 

Re: Do I really need flowers for ceremony?

• Options
    If your mom is paying, she gets a say, but it seems like a really small thing to care about... If she isn't paying, do whatever y'all want to do.

We also got married outside with an arch. I went to Michael's and got silk flower garlands to decorate the arch. We also had plant stands on either side of the arch for arrangements. It looked really nice.

If your ceremony site is on cement as ours was, plant stands would work. If its on grass, shepherd's hooks with hanging baskets or arrangements would look good. And personally, I think garlands are easier to work with and more forgiving that tulle.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you are getting married outside, you probably don't need extra flowers as decor because you will already be out in nature and that's definitely pretty enough.  One thing I saw suggested before is to use flowers at the ceremony (ie. two vase-type things on either side of the altar area) that you would already have for the reception, so just have someone (someone you pay, not a guest) move them after the ceremony.
  • Options
    KLM7386KLM7386 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Actually my fiance's family is paying for the wedding and we both felt that it wasn't necessary to have flowers/plants for the ceremony area. Plus my fiance brought up a good point of buying the potted flower. We would have to make sure that it's been watered, make sure that the pot it's in is decorated, then we would have to bring it home and plant it as soon as possible to prevent it from dying and honestly we just want to relax after our wedding. 
  • Options
    KLM7386 said:
    Actually my fiance's family is paying for the wedding and we both felt that it wasn't necessary to have flowers/plants for the ceremony area. Plus my fiance brought up a good point of buying the potted flower. We would have to make sure that it's been watered, make sure that the pot it's in is decorated, then we would have to bring it home and plant it as soon as possible to prevent it from dying and honestly we just want to relax after our wedding. 

Nope!  You give one to each member of your WP and let them take it home as their gift!  Or you purchase hanging planters that instead of hanging them up, you just set them along the way.  Or..  The garden centers around here (including the big box retailers) have planters all ready to go (pick up the day before) that you don't have to lift a finger to deal with yet look pretty as can be.. 

But really - do you need tulle to decorate the area even - it's only for 15 minutes...  I'm also with Belle in that outside, garland is SO much easier to deal with than tulle!!!!

• Options
    If you have a pretty view then no, you don't need flowers.  And even if you don't have a pretty view flowers are never a necessity.

What were your plans for your reception area?  Many times ceremony decor is then transferred to the reception area.  So you may be able to do to large arrangements to flank the alter and then have them moved to the reception area to dress up the bar or used to flank the entrance to your reception room.

But in the end, you do what you want and since your Mom isn't paying for the wedding the final decision is up to your FIs family.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    It seems like having flowers would just add more stress and you definitely don't need to deal with that! Honestly it is such a minute detail in the scheme of things, do what you and FH want and think is best. Especially if your mother isn't paying, it is not up to her. Just let her know you considered the option and have decided to stick with your original plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards