Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding Program - Deceased Father of the Bride

I am trying to figure out how to list the parents when my father is deceased but my Mom is not.

Right now I have it as:

Brides Parents
Patricia and the late David XXXX

Grooms Parents
Richard and Anne XXXX

It just seems off that the man is first in the groom's but not in mine. Thoughts or other suggestions would be really appreciated! TIA

Re: Wedding Program - Deceased Father of the Bride

• Options

This is me, but I think living persons need to be listed first, even if it puts the woman in front of the man.

• Options
    Just my opinion, I also have a deceased father, and I have my program as:

Mother of the Bride
    Peachy's mom

Parents of the Groom
    FI's parents

And then I have a separate section of the program with a little short and sweet blurb about lost loved ones, including my dad. I kept trying different things and this was the way that felt right to me. You will find it. Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    I would not list your Dad with your Mom, as if they were a living couple.  Just list your mother - Mrs. John Doe. (This is the traditional form for a widow, but you can use whatever she prefers.)  Below the list put this:

In Fond Memory

The late John Doe
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    peachy13 said:

Mother of the Bride
    Peachy's mom

Parents of the Groom
    FI's parents

And then I have a separate section of the program with a little short and sweet blurb about lost loved ones, including my dad. I kept trying different things and this was the way that felt right to me. You will find it. Good luck!
    I think this is the better way to approach things. It's nice when it says something like, "We remember those who are celebrating with us in spirit." It's a bit jarring to see someone deceased in a program that's supposed to be of events happening live. 

• Options
    It's a program, not a family tree!
  • Options
    I think the way you have it is fine, or peachy13's suggestion is good. I doubt anyone will really notice the man/woman first issue, esp since it's obvious why it was done this way.

I would not be jarred by seeing "the late John Doe" in a program at all under the parents. I understand this is not a family tree, but of all the ways to mention your father in the program, this way is pretty innocuous. I think it's up to you on which way you and your family are most comfortable with. Mentioning him up front, or later in the program. 

• Options
    FIL was deceased at our wedding and we did our programs just as Peachy described. 
  • Options
    peachy13 said:

Mother of the Bride
    Peachy's mom

Parents of the Groom
    FI's parents

I like this way of doing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards