Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Has any one experienced Mad libs RSVP Downfall??

Hi, I'm getting married 10/24/2015. We've already received our Madlibs RSVP cards to put in the invitation suites. I don't know if I'm overthinking this because we haven't really had much to work on with the wedding but I hear that RSVP time is always hard for people planning  a wedding and now I fear I've made it harder on us because some guests won't know how to respond. I wondering if I should scratch this idea all together and get traditional rsvp (nothing about our wedding is traditional though) 

We've already planned on numbering the bottoms of each RSVP to alleviate the pain of trying to figure out who sent the card back but now I don't know what else to do. 

Re: Has any one experienced Mad libs RSVP Downfall??

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Despite your wedding not being "traditional," I think that trying to be deliberately "non-traditional," "creative," etc. with wedding communications isn't a good idea and can even be counterproductive because it leads to confusion about exactly what you're inviting people to, the logistics (when, where, etc.) and how to respond to them.  So I'd scratch the "Mad Libs" aspect of your RSVPs (???) and just have traditional RSVPs.  I do like the pre-numbering idea though.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    edited May 2015
    Pretty much exactly what @TrixieJess said.  

• Options
    Nobody is going to say "Man, her wedding was so untraditional and quirky and I loved it! But her RSVP cards... Man. HOW VANILLA." 

You're on the right track here :) Definitely scrap the idea and go with the typical RSVP cards. It'll save you and your guests a headache.

• Options
    What is a mad lib RSVP?

I would be so confused and probably wouldn't know what to do with it. I can't imagine what the people in my parents' or grandparents' generation would make of it.  

The point of the RSVP card is to give your guest an easy way to accept or decline the invitation. Trying to be cutesy and unique often just confuses people and makes things more complicated. Getting everyone to RSVP is hard enough. Don't make it harder on yourself. 
  • Options
    TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    Best RSVP card ever. Could you imagine the replies you would get from your friends..

@Mynameisnot, See above ^^ (hopefully this image shows up).
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    Best RSVP card ever. Could you imagine the replies you would get from your friends..

@Mynameisnot, See above ^^ (hopefully this image shows up).
    Ain't nobody got time for that. 
  • Options
    Madlibs is something myt chgikdren did in elementary school.  They weren't funny then, and they aren't funny now.  Please don't do this.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Another vote here for scrapping the idea.

I am not a fan of mad libs at all, much less as part of wedding correspondence.

I just want a box with yes or no and and that is it.

HTH!
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    CMGragain said:
    Madlibs is something myt chgikdren did in elementary school.  They weren't funny then, and they aren't funny now.  Please don't do this.

I disagree.  MadLibs are always funny. 

It's just that wedding communications, especially logistical ones, are not the appropriate time or place for humor.  The recipients need to know what they're being invited to and the time and place without extra stuff that can distract or confuse them.

• Options
    Ih. There's a clear "WHO ARE YOU AND ARE YOU COMING?" in the photo example. If OP's madlibs follow suit, I don't think they'll be confusing. Since they're already purchased, I say use 'em.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My FI's sister used them as her RSVP's.  She even expected her frail mom to fill one out, and her mom didn't want to, so I did very generically.  My FI filled ours out with every blank being the word nice and and put his name and his human property as the ones going.  (He's got a messed up sense of humor.) So, I would either be prepared for confusion and snarky answers or change the save dates to normal, clear cut ones as PPs have said.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards