blank

nsho4nsho4 member
10 Comments First Anniversary
edited July 2015 in Attire and Accessories
delete account

Re: blank

• nsho4 said:
    Hi everyone,

I'm seeking advice on styling for my non-traditional, casual wedding event. We won't have a formal ceremony and are having live music, so plan to hop on stage at some point during the evening to have our friend marry us. I know it is kind of weird, but my personal preference is no processional, no formal sit-down dinner, and no arranged dance schedule. No dollar dance, etc. We are both progressive families and the  celebration is being held in a female-owned boxing gym in the Minneapolis, MN arts district.

I am planning to wear a maxi dress in champagne, beige, or ivory... maybe something shiny by Adrianna Papell? Such as: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/adrianna-papell-beaded-dress-long-blouson?ID=682871

My mom has found this metallic cardigan to wear with a dark gray shirt and, I think, white pants: http://www.chicos.com/store/product/travelers-collection-duster-cardigan/570145061?color=3844&catId=cat40001&fromSearch=true&scPos=1-1142-3416

What do you think about me wearing a non-traditional color and style of dress and my mom wearing a white, gray, and metallic pantsuit? I am seeking opinions on the MOB outfit, specifically, her possibly wearing white pants and being the only one wearing white. It's fine by me, but I don't want everyone to think we are severely fashion faux-pas-ing so thought to get some input from others :)

THANK YOU for your opinions! I look forward to hearing them.

I wouldn't see this as a big deal at all, but especially not with how you're wanting to do things. We always say that when parents ask, tell them to wear whatever they feel comfortable in. I think this is no different, and even though you won't be in a big poofy dress, no one will forget who the bride is. It doesn't sound like your circle is very traditional (although I don't know), so I doubt anyone would side eye it.  

To the bolded, what time is the event going to be held? If it's at a traditional meal time, you need to serve a meal. It can be pizza or chicken wings or whatever, but people will be hungry and want to eat. If it's at a non meal time, you can get away with more finger foods, etc. Traditional or not, your guests need to be hosted properly.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think both you and your mother can wear whatever you want, especially for a "casual" and "non-traditional" wedding. Try not to over-think it!
    lachattefatale
  • It sounds like you and your mom are both going to look amazing.

As a guest, I would not wear white to a wedding, but I would also not really question someone else doing so, especially a member of the family. (But then, I naively assume that people's families are supportive and aren't trying to offend the bride deliberately. I know very well that's not always the case.) I guess what I'm saying is that as long as you're cool with your mom wearing white, everyone else should also be cool with it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • climbingwifeclimbingwife NYC 'burbs member
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 5 Answers
    I think it's great. Wear whatever you both want!

• nsho4nsho4 member
    edited July 2015
  • nsho4nsho4 member
    edited July 2015
  • AddieCakeAddieCake Beyond the Wall member
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 25 Answers
    You and your mother can wear whatever you like.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • nsho4nsho4 member
    edited July 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards