Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

DIY or PRO?

Hello knotties!

are you going to do it yourself when it comes to your wedding makeup? OR are you paying a pro?

Love to hear your answers!

Re: DIY or PRO?

• Options
    I'm DIY-ing it for my wedding day and I'm actually pretty excited about it! I love makeup and could probably spend all day in Sephora lol. I think every bride has a differing opinion on this topic and each side has its pros and cons. For me personally I feel more confident when I do my own as opposed to having someone else do it. I think if you are going to DIY definitely do your research. Go to sephora and have them match your color, look online for tutorials, test out as many products as possible and then practice. And if you decide to hire someone definitely do a trial or two and don't be afraid to tell them if you don't like they way something looks. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
  • Options
    I'm planning to DIY my makeup too. FSIL had a pro do hers, but ended up washing it off right before the ceremony and redoing it herself. (I wasn't there, so I'm not sure if she hadn't done a trial with the pro or what, but it just wasn't working for her the day-of, anyway.)

In preparation, I've been reading and watching a lot of tips on how to do makeup for photos; matte products, highlighting and contouring, false lashes, etc. and sampling products to find out what lasts and which colors I need.

My biggest suggestion with samples at Sephora is to go outside. Things might look okay in their lighting, but go out into the sunlight to make sure it's a good match for you. My local Sephora actually lent me a hand mirror to take outside for this purpose, and suggested trying the light in the mall it's in as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm having someone do my makeup. I do my own makeup when I go to work and whatnot, but it never stays on as long as I want because of my skin type. I want to make sure my makeup stays put for my wedding day. 
  • Options
    I'm having mine done by a professional on the day. I like makeup but whenever I do mine for an 'event' I feel like I've just put on loads more of whatever I usually do for my everyday makeup. I want someone who knows what they're doing for it on the W day as I have no confidence that with the added nerves I'd be able to pull it off. Always very impressed when people do their own!
  • Options
    My mom, a Mary Kay consultant, helped me with some of the eye makeup.  I did most of it myself though.
  • Options
    I booked a professional.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I did my own purely for money reasons. My skin is pretty easy to work with. It's not oily or dry. I used a primer before foundation, and my makeup stayed put just fine.
  • Options
    A professional. I'm a huge makeup junkie but makeup looks different when photographed professionally, so I want someone who has the knowledge/technique to make me not look washed out in pictures. 
  • Options
    I paid a pro to do it. I probably could have done it, but it felt nice to be pampered
  • Options
    I'm paying a pro.   I can do my makeup and hair on a regular basis, but I can't do anything other than my normal routine.   I'm not talented enough in the hair/makeup department.   I also have natural thin, straight hair and I know I need a pro to create an undo that will last an entire day.   When it comes to make, the same thing.  I need someone that's going to make me look extra special and have the products needed to achieve that look.   Plus, I don't want to have to stress about anything on the day of the wedding.    I'm going to the salon, I'm sitting in the chair and drinking a mimosa.  The professionals can do the rest. 
  • Options
    I'm going DIY. My hair is very curly so it's easy to make curl stay/pin up. I also love makeup, and I love trying new products and shopping for it so I have been enjoying spending money on new products I might like and trying them out! Also, wedding is at a ski lodge in the winter so it costs a LOT to get someone up there. I also want to be able to just hang out up there before the wedding and not worry about a scheduled appointment.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I paid a professional.   I don't elaborately style my hair or wear make-up on a regular basis so I wanted to make sure it would be tasteful & well put together.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards