Wedding 911

It's going to storm

After all the stress and panic over the past nine months, FI and I are finally getting married this weekend... and it's going to storm. We have a beautiful outdoor venue (with a less attractive rain plan in place). I know it's not important and I know at the end of the day we'll be married and that's all that matters but it's hard to stay positive after all the stress we've already been through to get to this point. I'm trying to be supportive for FI because he's pretty broken up about this but so am I. I was hoping for some support here, anyone have any positive vibes they could send my way?
Just Married!

Re: It's going to storm

• That sucks, I'm sorry. Be thankful that you are only disappointed and not scrambling for a Plan B. There are people who just want an outdoor wedding so badly they think not preparing = rain won't happen and then they're freaking out.

So I guess the silver lining is that you had a Plan B and everything will be ok!
    *********************************************************************************

• Just concentrate on the things that you can control.  It sucks that it is going to rain, but you knew that there was the chance you were taking when you planned an outdoor wedding.  Your wedding will still be beautiful and you will still have a kick ass time with your friends and family.  When you and your FI are standing there saying your vows the fact that it is raining and you are inside will not be a thought in your mind.

And hey, you are still two days out.  Weather can change and you may luck out!

• I dreamt of a beach wedding, tropical storm Hannah came in with her 60+mph wind-driven rains and squashed those plans.

I just rolled with the punches.  I can't control the weather so no need to cry over it.  We had a backup plan (a tent).  We still had the best time.  We had great food, booze, awesome DJ and most importantly we were with our family and friends.

If you look upset and miserable it will bring the party down.  If you just go with the flow, your guests will follow your lead.

7 years later I still have guests comment on how great our attitudes were over the weather.   Some admitted they would not have been so chill.   They also admit that our attitudes is what made the day awesome.   

Like maggie said, concentrate on what you can control.  Remember rain or not, the ultimate goal is to get married.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Maybe you can offer to FI that you return to the location at some point and take some photos, just the two of you- when the weather is better obviously. I agree with PPs, you're getting married to each other! Keep talking about how excited you are for that and FI will come around to being less bummed. 
  • The great thing about nowadays - you can literally to the minute know what the forecast is for your location.  You never know, keep the faith, but also your attitude determines how your guests react.  If you're rolling with it and having fun, so will your guests.  It may not be ideal, however it's better than being soaking wet!

I also wholeheartedly agree with the PP on some brides coming here having NOT planned a "plan B" in case it rains on their outdoor wedding day!  At least you thought about it even if your option isn't as nice/ideal as the outdoor event you wanted.  Maybe if the forecast holds out you can at least get some pictures there...

• Sending you all the vibes I can muster because I totally get it! It was misting the morning of our wedding, and I was so devastated at the prospect of moving the ceremony from beside the waterfall to inside the reception space!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • spglspspglsp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    lyndausvi said:
    I dreamt of a beach wedding, tropical storm Hannah came in with her 60+mph wind-driven rains and squashed those plans.

I just rolled with the punches.  I can't control the weather so no need to cry over it.  We had a backup plan (a tent).  We still had the best time.  We had great food, booze, awesome DJ and most importantly we were with our family and friends.

If you look upset and miserable it will bring the party down.  If you just go with the flow, your guests will follow your lead.

7 years later I still have guests comment on how great our attitudes were over the weather.   Some admitted they would not have been so chill.   They also admit that our attitudes is what made the day awesome.   

Like maggie said, concentrate on what you can control.  Remember rain or not, the ultimate goal is to get married.
    This is really motivating. Do you mind my asking what helped you keep that positive attitude when things didn't go as planned? I'm not the best at putting on a brave face but I really want to go out there and have fun with my wonderful family and friends.
    Just Married!

• Oooh! I was in a wedding where it thundered and rained the entire ceremony. I saw several positive things from this:

- The couple had a plan B. Smart people way to go!

- The plan B had this huge open windows and you could see the storm during the ceremony. It was actually absolutely beautiful :-D

- I'm normally not a superstitious person but I liked this approach. You could view it as 'the storm is the washing away of the old and the beginning of a new future!'.

I know I'm being cheesy but since my friend's wedding, I think a storm shouldn't ruin a wedding, Just add to it :-) Congratulations and good luck this weekend! Sending you good vibes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've heard lots of people say that it's a superstition that rain actually means good luck on your wedding day!

My photographer said that his best pictures came out when it's raining so I recommend when the rain lightens up a bit grab a couple umbrellas and (and maybe some cute rain boots) and go get some awesome pictures with your new husband. 

I've heard of some photographers agreeing to do another session with couples when the weather is uncooperative also so maybe check and see if that's an option. It'd mean getting to wear your dress again which sounds pretty awesome to me. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about damaging it as much so you could have a little more fun :)

Best of luck this weekend and Congrats!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It rained all morning on the day of my sister's wedding in St. Croix.  They implemented plan B, reception inside instead of on the veranda and ceremony in the gazebo instead of on the beach.  It had stopped raining by the time of the wedding, and bride and groom ended up getting gorgeous sunset shots that are rare on beautiful sunny days in the islands.  However, bride's dress ended up turning ombre at the bottom from the water and dirt combining on the dance floor (they moved the dance floor to the veranda since the rain had stopped).  I actually have a great picture of her poor dress.  Nobody can say they didn't have an awesome time though.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    One of my favorite songs from The Fantasticks should become your song:

Soon it's gonna rain, I can see it
    Soon it's gonna rain, I can tell
    Soon it's gonna rain, what are we gonna do?
    Soon it's gonna rain, I can feel it
    Soon it's gonna rain, I can tell
    Soon it's gonna rain, what will we do with you?

We'll find four limbs of a tree
    We'll build four walls and a floor
    We'll bind it over with leaves
    Then duck inside and play
    Then we'll let it rain, we'll not feel it
    Then we'll let it rain, rain pell mall
    And we'll not complain if it never stops at all
    We'll live and love within our castle
    Hear how the wind begins to whisper
    Feel how the rain is falling now
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • spglsp said:
    Wedding weekend done! It was so funny how little it actually mattered when we were in the moment. My husband (husband!) and I were so excited, we didn't even care and the venue made the rain location so beautiful for us. The joy was infectious. People were coming up to us all night and saying it was the most fun they've ever had at a wedding.
    Congratulations and best wishes!  That's awesome.
  • Congratulations.   Glad it was a fun wedding.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm so happy your day was wonderful!

FWIW, it rained on my parents' wedding day and they have been married almost 38 years... :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards