Chit Chat

Some people suck....GRRR.....

So this morning I was craving chocolate milk.  I ran to the convenient store, took out $20 from the machine.   Bought the milk, a sprite for lunch, Hostess ding dong and a scratch off.  I never do that.   I haven't even been in that store in months.      

I just got a call from my bank asking if I bought some things at a grocery store in Michigan.

The answer would be no.

Now they are rushing me a new card because (1) I live 5 hours from the closest branch and this bank is my primary bank and (2) it's the holiday weekend.     Of course, I have to go through my auto-pays and change those.  I think I only have 2 of those setup, but I know I have my card on file for other places.

Good news is my bank was on top of it and didn't take the charge out of my account.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Some people suck....GRRR.....

• lyndausvi said:
    So this morning I was craving chocolate milk.  I ran to the convenient store, took out $20 from the machine.   Bought the milk, a sprite for lunch, Hostess ding dong and a scratch off.  I never do that.   I haven't even been in that store in months.      

I just got a call from my bank asking if I bought some things at a grocery store in Michigan.

The answer would be no.

Now they are rushing me a new card because (1) I live 5 hours from the closest branch and this bank is my primary bank and (2) it's the holiday weekend.     Of course, I have to go through my auto-pays and change those.  I think I only have 2 of those setup, but I know I have my card on file for other places.

Good news is my bank was on top of it and didn't take the charge out of my account.
    Sigh.  I would cry if this happened to me.  And all for want of a chocolate milk.  That sucks.
  • Ugh that's so annoying. I'm sorry that happened :( But like you said, at least your bank put a stop to it! 
  • I feel your pain!  I used my card for gas one night and I never use my card, but I was in a pinch and needed gas.  Sure enough when I arrived home, I had to pay my bills anyway and I saw all these bogus charges in South Carolina.

Called the bank, but since they were closed (Sunday night) I had to wait until the next morning.  Luckily they put a stop on the card and refunded me all of my money once everything stopped processing.  
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just called the police to see if there was any issues from that store.    They are sending an officer to check out the machine.   It's a small town, so it's not really difficult for them to check it out.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I had that happen to me... but instead the a$$holes drained every penny out of my checking account (it was like $5000) at a Best Buy. Thankfully it was all restored without too much difficulty, but it took a few days to sort out and in the meantime I recall that my rent check was due. Soooooo stressful!
  • A few years ago we had something similar happen.  The bank caught it quickly, but it tied up most of our money right before rent was due. After that, we opened another account at the bank and keep most of our money in that account.  They are linked online so I can instantly transfer money quickly and easily.  We use the new account for just deposits, transferring to other account, and writing checks to pay bills. Our account that we use our cards for rarely has more than a couple hundred dollars in it. That way if our debit card gets hacked, they have access to very little money and the majority of our money is in an account that is kept more secure.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, I do not keep a lot in this account either.   Like you I keep most of the money in another account within the same bank.  That way I can move money around, but it's not linked to the debit card.

Our rent is out of another bank that I rarely use the debit card.   It's so infrequent that I often forget the pin.   I will put in another pin, then it's declined.  Then I have a light bulb moment and say "yep, they are right, it is wrong.  Let's try this one".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards