Wedding Party

What to put in Bridesmaids' Totes?

Hello ladies, I have a question about my bridesmaids' tote bag presents.  I'm DIY-ing tote bags, and I'm not sure what to put in them.  We're getting hotel rooms for the girls for the night before and night of the wedding, and I'm trying to gear this stuff towards what would make their stay more comfortable.  This is my list so far:

lotion
bubble bath
sunscreen (our wedding is outdoors)
hair ties/ clips
hair spray
chips/ popcorn/ candy 
DVD (different movie for each girl, depending on her tastes)
little bottles of rum (or whatever each individual girl likes to drink)
bottles of pop/ juice
gift card to a local restaurant

Anything I've left out?  Anything on the list that I shouldn't include?  (We're also getting each girl a hand-painted wine glass, which they'll get at the wedding reception.)  Thanks in advance for the advice!

Re: What to put in Bridesmaids' Totes?

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_put-bridesmaids-totes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:2a3a5d7f-e222-4a2e-b4bd-d24e8c0a871bPost:fe916e03-e8f6-4fe2-9032-32590f5f5ed4">What to put in Bridesmaids' Totes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies, I have a question about my bridesmaids' tote bag presents.  I'm DIY-ing tote bags, and I'm not sure what to put in them.  We're getting hotel rooms for the girls for the night before and night of the wedding, and I'm trying to gear this stuff towards what would make their stay more comfortable.  This is my list so far: lotion bubble bath sunscreen (our wedding is outdoors) hair ties/ clips hair spray chips/ popcorn/ candy  DVD (different movie for each girl, depending on her tastes) little bottles of rum (or whatever each individual girl likes to drink) bottles of pop/ juice gift card to a local restaurant Anything I've left out?  Anything on the list that I shouldn't include?  (We're also getting each girl a hand-painted wine glass, which they'll get at the wedding reception.)  Thanks in advance for the advice!

<strong>Sorry, but for me,  all of the "stuff" except for the DVD, booze, and gc are for your wedding and while they're okay,  I wouldn't really need all that stuff to make me "comfortable" for a one night stay in a hotel.

I think you're overdoing it, to be honest.  Skip the tote, skip everyting except the movie, booze and gc.   I'd rather get a larger gc than the other "stuff" and a tote bag.

But good luck to you.</strong>
    Posted by ckollstedt[/QUOTE]
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Thanks for the post, trix.  I know that a few of my bridesmaids are rather forgetful, and maybe wouldn't think about sunscreen, etc. until the day of.  That's why I was including that type of thing in the totes.  But they're all big girls, and old enough to take care of their own stuff without me having to worry about it (or deal with sunburns, I guess! haha). Spending more $$ on the gift cards and less on "pampering" stuff for the girls is an idea!  :)
  • I agree with Trix that things for the wedding day are probably not the greatest gifts, but I think that the spa products and tote bags are just fine. A lot of people on here are down on totes, but I personally would be just fine with one. If you think that some nice bubble bath in a pretty bag would be appreciated, then go for it.
    Photobucket
  • How about putting together your totes with gifts for the girls (DVD, rum, gift card, etc) and then having all that other stuff on hand (hairspray, sunscreen, bobby pins) in your hotel room for them to get ready with - sort of like bathroom baskets for the reception? That way if they forgot something you've got it for them - but it doesn't seem like you're trying to making it into a gift.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_put-bridesmaids-totes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:2a3a5d7f-e222-4a2e-b4bd-d24e8c0a871bPost:09d96cf8-6efa-4ba4-bb05-ac621001ac2a">Re: What to put in Bridesmaids' Totes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about putting together your totes with gifts for the girls (DVD, rum, gift card, etc) and then having all that other stuff on hand (hairspray, sunscreen, bobby pins) in your hotel room for them to get ready with - sort of like bathroom baskets for the reception? That way if they forgot something you've got it for them - but it doesn't seem like you're trying to making it into a gift.
    Posted by kgorman307[/QUOTE]

<div>Love this idea! Thanks :D</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_put-bridesmaids-totes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:2a3a5d7f-e222-4a2e-b4bd-d24e8c0a871bPost:4aae6fc7-943c-4e65-ba97-57dd07aa4f1e">Re: What to put in Bridesmaids' Totes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Trix that things for the wedding day are probably not the greatest gifts, but I think that the spa products and tote bags are just fine. <strong>A lot of people on here are down on totes, but I personally would be just fine with one.</strong> If you think that some nice bubble bath in a pretty bag would be appreciated, then go for it.
    Posted by graysquirrel[/QUOTE]

I'm in this camp, too. I'd rather receive a recyle-able tote bag that I can use for shopping trips rather than a paper gift bag.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_put-bridesmaids-totes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:2a3a5d7f-e222-4a2e-b4bd-d24e8c0a871bPost:09d96cf8-6efa-4ba4-bb05-ac621001ac2a">Re: What to put in Bridesmaids' Totes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about putting together your totes with gifts for the girls (DVD, rum, gift card, etc) and then having <strong>all that other stuff on hand (hairspray, sunscreen, bobby pins) in your hotel room for them to get ready with - sort of like bathroom baskets for the reception? That way if they forgot something you've got it for them - but it doesn't seem like you're trying to making it into a gift.</strong>
    Posted by kgorman307[/QUOTE]

This is what I did & it worked great :-)
  • Maybe a manicure set and a different color nail polish for each?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm hand making little purses for each of my bridesmaids and I am having a hard time deciding what to put inside of them as well.

I feel as though gift cards are impersonal so this is what i have so far...

a monogrammed compact
    handmade soaps (one of my friends makes them with herbs in her garden)
    a thank you poem (that I wrote) in a scroll wrapped in a ribbon
    a pair of ready flats

anyone have any other suggestions? I think some gourmet candy might be a nice touch.
  • Mints and condoms.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_put-bridesmaids-totes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:2a3a5d7f-e222-4a2e-b4bd-d24e8c0a871bPost:2da3b67a-98ee-4597-bf51-b9045af10efa">Re: What to put in Bridesmaids' Totes?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mints and condoms.
    Posted by almost-a-bride[/QUOTE]

<div>love it!</div>
  • Where did you buy the totes to DIY them? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I bought some cheap jeans shorts and cut off/ sewed up the legs.  (You could do this with long jeans too, and you'll just have a lot of leftover jeans fabric.)  They're getting fabric for linings sewn in, and a fabric strap knotted around a couple of the beltloops.  It's really cheap, and I think they'll turn out cute!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards