Chit Chat

Can you name all the US state capitals?

I used to know this stuff. Missed Wisconsin and Virginia. And can never remember if Tennessee is Memphis or Nashville. Subject came up when a co-worker asked what the capital of South Dakota was and we had to resort to google. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Can you name all the US state capitals?

• Wow. I forgot a lot of them :S I used to be good at this stuff. Apparently not anymore. 
  • No.  Never had to learn the capitals.  Can do the states in alphabetical order and locate them all on map.  Not good with the capitals.

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Yes.  Every few months I go onto sporcle to test my knowledge of the capitals, states, countries and the presidents.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • No, I cannot name all 50 state capitals. And I don't really care that I can't. (Just being honest.)

I have never once in my life needed to know something like this. This is where I think school curriculum should focus more on stuff you actually need to know (like learning about taxes) and less on pumping kids full of shit that will not enhance their life unless they go to Buffalo Wild Wings trivia night.
    *********************************************************************************

• I realized back in 2002 that I missed that information in school.  So, on the drive back from a cousin's wedding (Rhode Island to Illinois) my dad and grampa tried to teach me.  But they got some wrong, so I learned wrong.  I went to sporcle a few times to quiz myself and re-learn.  At this point, if I'm going to learn about geography, I'd rather learn to name all the countries of Europe and Asia on a map rather than re-learning the state capitals.
  • Damn I used to be so good at geography! I got 30 out of 50. However I had about 5 others that I knew but it didn't accept them because I spelled them wrong, such as Annapolis. (I kept doing 1 N). I could have thought of about 5 more if I had more time but there were 10 that I never would have gotten with all the time in the world.

• Man, I forgot how WEIRD some of the state capitals are... tiny little places no one has ever heard of.
  • adk19 said:
    I realized back in 2002 that I missed that information in school.  So, on the drive back from a cousin's wedding (Rhode Island to Illinois) my dad and grampa tried to teach me.  But they got some wrong, so I learned wrong.  I went to sporcle a few times to quiz myself and re-learn.  At this point, if I'm going to learn about geography, I'd rather learn to name all the countries of Europe and Asia on a map rather than re-learning the state capitals.
    trying being old like me and having to remember that some country names have changed over the years.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I can name all the Provincial capitals... But then again we only have 10 provinces and 3 territories so that's not really quite the accomplishment.
  • lyndausvi said:
    adk19 said:
    I realized back in 2002 that I missed that information in school.  So, on the drive back from a cousin's wedding (Rhode Island to Illinois) my dad and grampa tried to teach me.  But they got some wrong, so I learned wrong.  I went to sporcle a few times to quiz myself and re-learn.  At this point, if I'm going to learn about geography, I'd rather learn to name all the countries of Europe and Asia on a map rather than re-learning the state capitals.
    trying being old like me and having to remember that some country names have changed over the years.

That's why I said Europe and Asia rather than Africa.  I know in Africa they practically get a new country every year.  I tried learning those once, lost cause.  When European countries change it's a pretty big deal on American news programs, and it sticks around for a pretty long time.
  • Why would anyone need this stupid information?
  • adk19 said:

lyndausvi said:

adk19 said:

That's why I said Europe and Asia rather than Africa.  I know in Africa they practically get a new country every year.  I tried learning those once, lost cause.  When European countries change it's a pretty big deal on American news programs, and it sticks around for a pretty long time.

Wha?????? I mean, learn what you want but Africa does not get a new country every year and it's not that hard to keep track of it you care.
  • FI is a HS World History teacher and challenges his students to these tests every year.  It's amazing how much time a teenager will invest in something like this just to beat their teacher:).
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Yes, I know all of them. But I lobby state governments so I need to know them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I try to think of all the major airports. And then I'm shocked how many are not the capital....like the airport is in Chicago...why the fuck is Chicago not the capital? lol

• jenna8984 said:
    I try to think of all the major airports. And then I'm shocked how many are not the capital....like the airport is in Chicago...why the fuck is Chicago not the capital? lol
    Yeah, and NYC isn't the capital of NY, and LA isn't the capital of CA, and Portland/Oregon, Seattle/WA, Las Vegas/NV, St. Louis/MO, and so forth and so on...
  • jenna8984 said:
    I try to think of all the major airports. And then I'm shocked how many are not the capital....like the airport is in Chicago...why the fuck is Chicago not the capital? lol
    You will find a lot of the capitals are in the middle-ish part of the state.   They are often picked to be a more neutral place.  The southern part of Illinois might feel slighted if the capital was all the way up in big city of Chicago. Chicago doesn't reflect the wants and needs of the entire state. 

Same with NY.   NYC does not speak for the entire state of NY.  Albany is more in the middle-ish.  State issues might get lost in the big city so-to-speak.

• lyndausvi said:
    jenna8984 said:
    You will find a lot of the capitals are in the middle-ish part of the state.   They are often picked to be a more neutral place.  The southern part of Illinois might feel slighted if the capital was all the way up in big city of Chicago. Chicago doesn't reflect the wants and needs of the entire state. 

Same with NY.   NYC does not speak for the entire state of NY.  Albany is more in the middle-ish.  State issues might get lost in the big city so-to-speak.

This makes sense to me. But Boston is still the capital of MA (sometimes I think the rest of MA resents that).
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    lyndausvi said:
    jenna8984 said:

This makes sense to me. But Boston is still the capital of MA (sometimes I think the rest of MA resents that).
    Some of these state capitals were figured out some 200+ years ago.   200 years ago the western part of Mass might not have been much. The majority of the population would have been closer to the coast.  Thus making Boston a better choice.  Fastword 200+ years, well things change.  They are not going to move the state capital.  

• I used to know them all. In fact, I recently came across my award for reciting them all perfectly in school.

Now, apparently not so much. I got 7 wrong. Should probably give that award back.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think my spelling is partly to blame...but I only got 3 haha.

I'm better with canadian =\

• State capitals are an example of my bad learning process. I memorized them enough to pass the test and then promptly forgot them. I didn't actually learn them.

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    lyndausvi said:
    jenna8984 said:

MA is also a much smaller state than IL, CA, WA, FL, etc
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Phoenix is the capital of Arizona. 

That's it. That's all I got. And that's cause I live in Phoenix because literally this has never been information I needed in my day to day life.
  • @ lyndausvi and adk 19, I knew we had a lot in common!  I put myself to sleep by reciting states and capitols, and if that doesn't work, I think of European, Asian and African countries.  It's better than counting sheep.  African countries were hardest for me to learn, since they have changed so much since I was in elementary school.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I got 41/50, but I'm kicking myself I couldn't think of Santa Fe. I literally could not think of a city in New Mexico. I also couldn't think of Indianapolis, or Springfield, duh!

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

So I know this isn't quite the same but I just had a coworker send me an email that said "client has an employee with a dependent who was born in Alaska and from what they can find out the member is unable to get a social here in the states".

Errrrrr Alaska is part of the US?! There are some special social security programs for American Indians and Alaska Natives but that didn't quite mesh with her question. Hmmm

• I got 41/50, but I'm kicking myself I couldn't think of Santa Fe. I literally could not think of a city in New Mexico. I also couldn't think of Indianapolis, or Springfield, duh!

@huskypuppy14 My company has an office in Albuquerque so I just kept typing that over and over thinking I spelled it wrong. I was like "but there is no other city in NM!" lol

• edited July 2015
    kvruns said:

So I know this isn't quite the same but I just had a coworker send me an email that said "client has an employee with a dependent who was born in Alaska and from what they can find out the member is unable to get a social here in the states".

Errrrrr Alaska is part of the US?! There are some special social security programs for American Indians and Alaska Natives but that didn't quite mesh with her question. Hmmm

Probably just as hard as getting a BC from a military base in Japan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards