Favors

Favors vs other 'extras'

So basically I'm deciding between doing favors (would probably be our homemade jam in little mini mason jars - potentially a lot of work!) at about $1-2/person OR taking that $100 or so and putting it into 'extras' - like bathroom baskets and a basket of flip flops for dancing etc.

Which do you think people would appreciate more? Any other ideas of how $100-200 could be used to add something to the guest experience?

Re: Favors vs other 'extras'

• japlanet said:

So basically I'm deciding between doing favors (would probably be our homemade jam in little mini mason jars - potentially a lot of work!) at about $1-2/person OR taking that $100 or so and putting it into 'extras' - like bathroom baskets and a basket of flip flops for dancing etc.

Which do you think people would appreciate more? Any other ideas of how $100-200 could be used to add something to the guest experience?
    Personally, I would take that money and put it towards adding an additional appetizer.

• Food or booze. Personally, I don't care for jam and wouldn't use it. But I'd really dig an extra app or some good booze.

• We will already be having a top shelf open bar, alcoholic snow cones, passed hors d'ouerves, a 5 course gourmet chef's tasting menu with wine pairings, and a late night specialty coffee bar with desserts. Not sure more food is really needed, which is why I was thinking about non-food and/or 'take home' food items.
  • japlanet said:

We will already be having a top shelf open bar, alcoholic snow cones, passed hors d'ouerves, a 5 course gourmet chef's tasting menu with wine pairings, and a late night specialty coffee bar with desserts. Not sure more food is really needed, which is why I was thinking about non-food and/or 'take home' food items.

Well then I would do a food item that can actually be eaten on the way home.  Like a candy bar or chocolates or cookies.

• I would prefer a bathroom basket to a jar of jam, personally.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I would definitely not be into homemade jam. Is there another favor you could do? Something like cookies or chocolate or something that would be more well-received by a greater number of guests? 
  • In order of preference:

a) Upgrade food

b) Edible favor (that I can take with me, but don't HAVE to take with me - i.e. a cookie I can eat now or later rather than a condiment I have no use for now and have to pack in my purse/bag for later)

c) Welcome bag for people staying at the hotel if you aren't already doing one and have people at a hotel block

d) Bathroom basket with stuff that might be handy (floss, Tylenol and ibuprofen, stain remover, etc.)

• japlanet said:

We will already be having a top shelf open bar, alcoholic snow cones, passed hors d'ouerves, a 5 course gourmet chef's tasting menu with wine pairings, and a late night specialty coffee bar with desserts. Not sure more food is really needed, which is why I was thinking about non-food and/or 'take home' food items.

Um, YES, please.  Consider this my RSVP for your wedding ;)
  • I'm really surprised at how many people say they wouldn't like jam. I thought everyone liked jam.

That said, I could go either way. I am big on having a favour for guests but the idea of bathroom baskets is also really good because there's always a need for those little necessities. I wouldn't upgrade alcohol because I already think there is too much emphasis on alcohol at any kind of event. If there's a bar, there's more than enough alcohol no upgrade needed.

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

I'm really surprised at how many people say they wouldn't like jam. I thought everyone liked jam.

That said, I could go either way. I am big on having a favour for guests but the idea of bathroom baskets is also really good because there's always a need for those little necessities. I wouldn't upgrade alcohol because I already think there is too much emphasis on alcohol at any kind of event. If there's a bar, there's more than enough alcohol no upgrade needed.

Oh, I *like* jam, but I have dietary restrictions that disallow me from eating most of it (unless I want to live on the wild side and risk being sick later), so it would be a wasted favor for me. I would want it, but I wouldn't take it. 

But also, there's a great deal of hesitation for a lot of people in taking homemade food items. You have no way of knowing about the methods of preparation, what all is in it, how sanitary the person's kitchen is, etc. A lot of people just don't want to take that risk. 
  • Skip the jam. Homemade items would make me nervous and I'd likely leave it behind. If I flew to your wedding, I wouldn't want to bring it on the plane either.

If there's nothing else that needs upgrading, give me something delicious that I can eat on the way home. I like cookies and chocolate.

We did bags of local candy. Inexpensive and people loved it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Breakfast pastry table at the end of the night! What drunk people don't like bagels or donuts? 

(Besides those with dietary restrictions)

Or, they can save them for the morning!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've never used anything from those bathroom bins.  Also, if you've been to a few weddings, you know know what shoes are appropriate to wear.   I always see unused flip flops for sale on wedding sites.  So, who knows if those actually get used either.  I think a favor that reflects your personal style (but not personalized) would be a great gesture.  Something to eat is always a special treat. 
  • I'm a fan of the flip flops and bathroom basket. I don't like jam either. Upgrading the bar or adding appetizers sounds like a great idea, but depending where your catering is from could be much pricier than what she's describing her budget is. For example it would cost us $5 a person to add an app and $10/person to upgrade our bar. No thanks! I think small things like flip flops and bathroom baskets make nice impressions- maybe some people wouldn't use it, but some people wouldn't notice an upgraded bar or if you had 5 apps instead of 4!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm cool with jam. But I also don't think that favours are ever necessary, so spend the money where you want to.

I like to wear pumps with a dress. However, these pumps cannot be danced in. Usually I end up bare foot on the dance floor. My friend had a flip flop basket- many people used them, myself included. It was nice not to have black feet at the end of the night. (What I really need to do is get a pair of those rescue flats and bring them with me).

The same friend, also had a basket in the bathroom and I would say it was about half used (I used some too). Useful things I can think of- Tide pen for stains (my friend used this after dinner!), bobby pins, hair elastic, body spray, wet wipe, chap stick, hair spray, brush, band-aids.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards