Wedding Woes

Let them get upset...they're out of line

Dear Prudence,
I am a male pediatrician in a small group practice. I have two female employees, one in her 60s and one in her 40s, who are great with patients but who are both are in the habit of coming up behind me and either playfully scratching my back or rubbing my shoulders. I know it’s meant in a purely friendly way but I hate being touched (I never go for massages, etc.). I don’t want to make this a big deal because I know they will both be upset and embarrassed. But if I were the one doing the unwanted touching, I would have long ago been told not only to stop, but threatened with a harassment suit. I know it should work both ways but I’m not sure it does. We have a parent corporation with an HR department that will address this if I push it, but I’m not sure I want to. Any suggestions?

—Hands Off, Please

Re: Let them get upset...they're out of line

• "Please don't do that, I don't like to be touched." 

• That meme is my everything today. 
  • Dear Prudence,
    I don’t want to make this a big deal because I know they will both be upset and embarrassed. But if I were the one doing the unwanted touching, I would have long ago been told not only to stop, but threatened with a harassment suit. I know it should work both ways but I’m not sure it does. We have a parent corporation with an HR department that will address this if I push it, but I’m not sure I want to. Any suggestions?

—Hands Off, Please

This guy sounds like (to quote Liz Lemon), a dum-dum.  1) They don't have to be upset and embarrassed if he handles it with some amount of tact--i.e. like a grown-up, 2) I'm pretty sure he would only be threatened with a harassment suit if they asked him to stop and he didn't, whereas he hasn't said a word to them so far--apples and oranges, dude, and 3) he's not sure he wants to send it to corporate HR before he so much as says "I don't like to be touched?"  Duh.

The only awkward thing here is that they're going to wonder why he hasn't said anything before, but not much to be done about that now.
  • Book smart - reality dumb....  What would he tell a patient to do!?!?!? 

The simple "hey, I'm not a touchy-feely kind of guy, can you knock it off with the touching!"..  Something tells me he never learned the basics of establishing his own personal space...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards