Wedding Woes

Ottomans are your friend.

Dear Prudence,
I’m engaged to a great guy, but there’s one ridiculous issue we clash on. He won’t let me put my bare feet on the coffee table. He thinks it’s gross. I think he’s uptight. I’ve done this my whole life almost every time I sit down in my living room. Of course I wouldn’t do this at a friend’s house, but we’re going to be living together. I dread the thought of forgetting and putting my feet on the coffee table, or doing it only while he’s out. That seems kind of pathetic. How can something this silly turn into a deal-breaker? Please help!

—Dancing Around the Issue

Re: Ottomans are your friend.

• DH did this as well.  He stopped b/c I asked him too.  I also think it's gross. 

Of course, we had to compromise in the first place b/c I loathe coffee tables in living rooms.  So if he was going to get one, he couldn't put his feet on it.  It's worked through the years.
  • Getting rid of our huge, sharp cornered coffee table was the best thing ever.  We almost bought a new one with the house, but we haven't so far.  I'd rather have ottomans that can be pushed out of the way.  I'm even cool with getting one that you can flip the lid over and has a tray. 

• all of our couches recline exactly for this reason - the ones in the family room  have built-in cup holders (and the loveseat has a storage console in the middle). We don't own a coffee table. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards