Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Who Runs the Rehearsal?

According to our DOC, we give her a list of the order of people and she will make sure everyone's all set the day of. But she won't be there the night before for the actual reherseal.

Our Cantor only does day of, he doesn't do rehearsals.

My question is, who runs the rehearsal? I've never been married before I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 

Re: Who Runs the Rehearsal?

• Our officiant ran our rehearsal. He's the one kind of running the ceremony the day of, so it made sense. Basically he just told everyone what to expect, how they'd know to start walking, how fast to walk, how much space to leave, how they'd know to recess, and told the readers how/when he'd call them up to do their readings. 

He didn't actually go through the ceremony itself. It was more logistics. If your officiant isn't going to do this, you could probably do it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Our venue coordinator ran ours.  

Actually all the weddings I was in it was the church coordinator. (all Catholic).   Those Catholic women do not mess around.  I think the priests were scared of them too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    MegEn1 said:
    According to our DOC, we give her a list of the order of people and she will make sure everyone's all set the day of. But she won't be there the night before for the actual reherseal.

Our Cantor only does day of, he doesn't do rehearsals.

My question is, who runs the rehearsal? I've never been married before I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. 
    Is that in her contract with you that she will not participate and/or coordinate the rehearsal?  To me, that is one of the absolute primary responsibilities of a DOC.  Rehearsals aren't really all that complicated.  You could actually skip it and save yourself some time and money.
  • My daughter's planner's contract does not include the rehearsal. If we wanted her to run the rehearsal it would cost extra. Fortunately, the church has a co-ordinator  who does run everything during the rehearsal. 
  • I basically ran ours. I told people when who was walking in, what song would be playing, etc. We practiced that and walking out a couple of times and then the officiant ran the "ceremony" part.

• We could have had our coordinator / planner do it or our officiant.  We decided on neither- it doesn't seem that complicated as we're having a secular ceremony, no bridal party, etc.

If neither of these people is going to be there for yours, then I'd say just take charge yourself. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    A person from our venue sort of ran it along with me.  I knew who went where and when but she showed us where to line up and queued people on when to walk (she did that for the wedding too).  Our rehearsal was really just one quick run through so people had an idea of where to go before and after.
  • Our officiant worked with his wife, and she and he tag-teamed to run the rehearsal for us. 

• The officiant has at every wedding I've been to, including mine.
  • Our venue coordinator ran the rehearsal as well as the officiant. Our DOC ran everything with the venue coordinator on the day of. 
  • MegEn1MegEn1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    It looks like I'll likely be running ours along with the venue person. Just added work for me I guess! 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards