Not Engaged Yet

Melancholy Monday

13»

Re: Melancholy Monday

• Weekend was pretty busy. Hung out with friends on Friday, and one helped Matt get the a/c into the bedroom window. He still needs to cut the boards, so we only have a garbage bag around it for now. Such great timing, this week is suppose to be hot!

Saturday went through stuff with our venue before paying balance. Specifics like "if it's crazy hot, can we easily come inside?" {we're having it outside under a tent} and "how are the tables being arranged?" {which I'm glad I asked since my seating plan had 6-7 people per table, when it can actually hold 7-8 and there's 2 tables with 10!}

Haven't got bank issues settled, but set up the back up plan. I may actually just change banks later. This is more headache than it's worth.

My mum came for dinner and we watched "Gone Girl" {for those who have watched it, thoughts? I hated the ending .... *scowl*}

Sunday didn't do much. I did some price matching for groceries, Matt and I went for a lunch date and then we took a nap. Matt shares a bday week with some friends, so we had a joint bday party Sunday evening. Nice BBQ and was still kinda humid but cooled enough as sun went down.

Is there anything making you melancholy this morning?
    Yup. Matt's off today, so he was up later than normal. Kept waking up because he was doing stuff. So I had a horrible night.
    And I need to figure out how to fix the sole of my shoe :(

What movie could you watch over and over again?
    "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

What song cheers you up as soon as you hear it?
    hmmm .... good question. I have a few and zero are coming to mind haha!
  • @minskat30 It sounds like he's being spiteful, I'd go over his head again.  I'm frustrated for you. 
  • @eilis1228 - Rolls Royce! fancy! i love it
  • @mskittydanger I just saw Gone Girl for the first time last week. I HATED the ending too!

• @lavenderfields13 UGH! I wonder if you could negotiate staying a few extra months, at least until November to find out if you have to stay in the city? No bueno L Also, I would be pissed at your photographer too! I definitely agree with PP about re-reading the contract to see how you can get some of your money back for all of the inconvenience!

@peaseblossom55 A GIRL! SO EXCITING!!

@jenjen047 I’ve been doing a little more negotiating through e-mail before even going to see the venues. FI and I looked at our budget and found a price per person that we were comfortable with. It was a little below what each of the venues was offering, but I replied with the price we wanted to pay and they showed us what they would be willing to cut to fit within our budget. Our top venue reduced their original offer by $45 PER PERSON, while only cutting out little things like choice of linen colors (I would have only wanted white anyway). I figured this place must be a dump, but it was our favorite out of all of them before even considering price! Definitely worth trying to hardball them a little!

@twodimes LOVE your wedding shoes!

@labro Your yard is BEAUTIFUL!

@bethsmiles I don’t remember details about the job you applied to, or whether this is a career change for you (if you’re super familiar with the education field then just ignore me!) BUT from a teacher, counties set a deadline for current teachers to formally resign and many will wait until after that deadline to hire new teachers. I know that a few counties in the area have a deadline of July 15, so they may be waiting until the end of the month before extending any offers.

@minskat30 Your inspector sounds terrible L So sorry you have to deal with that!

---------------------------------------------------
    FI and I had a great weekend with family. He got to meet some of my OOT family from CA, which he wouldn’t have had a chance to meet until the wedding, so that was awesome!

This is my last week of summer school, so I am really looking forward to actually enjoying the rest of summer after this week! Also hoping to have a venue contract signed by the end of the week! EEK

This weekend we are having a dinner with my parents, FI’s mom and stepdad, and his dad and dad’s GF. FI’s dad has been kind of a jerk through this whole process, despite claiming to be super supportive of us and so excited about the wedding. My parents are throwing us an engagement party on August 1, and FI’s dad is coming back from his vacation that day. The party isn’t until the evening, so we thought the timing was perfect for him to be able to make the party and could not find a different day that worked better. Apparently, FI’s dad and GF decided to come back the night before so that they wouldn’t have to travel on the day of the party, but then started making snarky comments about “having” to cut their vacation short to make it to our party. No one ever asked them to leave early, and they would have had plenty of time to drive a few hours home before a party around dinner-time. It’s not easy scheduling things around a million people!!!

On top of that, FI’s dad already booked his vacation for next summer (not out of necessity – he reserved a campsite a few hours away) and told us not to schedule our wedding either of the Saturdays that he will be gone because he “won’t be cutting another vacation short”. One of those dates was our original backup date, but we changed that to work around him (and the date we’re looking at now is in a different month so we should be fine). He even told us that if we had no other dates available to book, that we could just wait another year to work around his vacation. He’s being intentionally difficult about everything and starting to piss us off!  We’re so thankful that he isn’t contributing a dime to the wedding or at least hasn’t offered, and even if he did I don’t think we could accept. Too much drama!

• @eilis1228 We came up with one we both liked, but we really haven't discussed it any depth yet. 

Work is nuts today sorry I can't address everyone and everything today :-(

Anniversary

• At the request of @minskat30 here is a mini AW of the concert!

@speakeasy14 I lived with my boyfriends parents for three months when I first moved to NY and while I get along with them fantastically it was definitely weird for me, esp because BF wasn't living there! He was living in the dorms at his college at the time.... weird. I really hope you find a place soon!

@lavenderfields13 sorry about all the stuff you're going through. I'd definitely try to get your photog for at least a partial refund.
  • Super jealous of all the people on here hanging out last weekend!

@eilis1228 - The Rolls Royce is going to be so fun! Great choice!

@Swazzle - You have the greatest freakin friends! That seems like such a great birthday celebration! How did it compare to the last two times you've turned 29? ;)

@speakeasy14 - I love all of the movies you listed.

@MsKittyDanger - I already knew the ending from the novel when I went into watching Gone Girl, but my friend, who didn't, literally yelled at the TV. She was SO PISSED, haha....... The ending made me like the book a ton less, too.

------------------------------------

My weekend was long and annoying, with all the work on our roof going on, trying to pack, and my dog flipping the hell out about the noise. I smoked a lot of weed to deal with all of it, which made me not as good at packing, haha. And then they needed to finish the roof last night, so they were working out there until almost 10. Then left our yard and everything around our house an absolute mess, plus our ENTIRE driveway is taken up by a giant dumpster and their trailer. I have no idea if/when they're picking the trailer up, but there's no way I'll be able to get a moving truck even near the house if they don't come pick it up before Wednesday...... Plus they left the garage door open, so we're really hoping nothing got taken.

Is there anything making you melancholy this morning? It's not Wednesday yet. I want to move in already!

What movie could you watch over and over again? My first choice is probably Sabrina, with Audrey Hepburn. Also I Love You, Man.

What song cheers you up as soon as you hear it? I'm definitely on the same page as those girls that said Walking On Sunshine. I sang it at karaoke once and the entire crowd started dancing. It's one of those songs!............... But when I truly need a cheer up I dance around to You Can't Stop The Beat from Hairspray.

• @knockonwood5127- Not a career change, actually going back to what I want to do since I finished my thesis which will make it easier to get jobs. It's actually a teaching job at a university. The application deadline was June 30 so it's been almost 2 weeks since they've had all the applications that will get full consideration. But of course it's summer so everything moves slow as fuck because no one is really there. Online my application says it's still under consideration but they aren't the best at updating those so that doesn't mean much.

• @lavenderfields13 @AlPacina - oh good I'm not alone! I didn't get a chance to read the book. However, they're making "Girl on the train" into a movie and similar idea {except better ending!}
    and I would highly recommend! {at least reading it}
  • @untouchablets We have a place. We bought a house that needed a full renovation. We partially moved in before the 4th, but our bathroom still needed renovations.  My bf ended up completely removing the tub, so we can't live there until the bathroom is done.  We installed a new tub last week, and now just need to do the tile. We'll be in by this weekend, I'm just impatient. 

@alpacina awesome movie choices as well!
  • @jenna8984 I've always loved that movie. I haven't been to the bar in NY, but I did go to the one in Vegas.  My bf didn't get why I wanted to go in, and all I said was "so I can live the movie."  May have had a little too much fun bar dancing.
  • @speakeasy14 Ditto! We actually got thrown out of the one in Vegas because my friend was way too drunk and fell off the stage haha (it was her 25th bday)

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    @jenna8984 - <3 Wildwood. My family had a beach house my whole life and my mom lives 5 minutes away now. I'll be there this weekend! I'm not great with actual hotel recs because I've never had to stay in one. As for location, I like going to the beach in North Wildwood (the WIldwood beach -- like the sand part-- is HUGE and it's a LONG walk from the street/boardwalk to the ocean mostly everywhere else). We usually park around 2nd-6th aves for the beach. 

The 2 main piers of the boardwalk where the rides and water parks are, are at 26th and also at Schellenger. It's not a far walk between them. We always would park at one end then take the tram car (this is where "watch the tram car" comes from, if you've ever heard of that) to the opposite end and start doing the rides there and work our way back to where we parked our car. It's $3 to take the tram car. There are a TON of shops to go in and out of along the entire boardwalk.

Biking on the boardwalk in the morning is a lot of fun so I would recommend doing that once! 

On the boardwalk: go to Chickie's and Pete's for crab fries which are fries that have Old Bay on them and served with the most amazing cheese sauce. Curley's Fries around 26th has my other favorite fries and that place has been there for as long as I can remember. I'm also obsessed with their fresh-squeezed lemonade. 

Off the boardwalk: Maui's dog hotdogs are ridiculous. They were on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. They have "salty balls" which are little potatoes that were soaked in brine and they're served with melted butter for dipping.

Cape May is right near Wildwood and is absolutely beautiful. There are a lot of great restaurants with amazing views of the ocean and a ton of unique shops. I'd recommend spending a full or half day there. Stone Harbor also isn't far and has a lot of really great shopping too. 

I get really excited about Wildwood because I spent every summer of my childhood there. I'll stop now.  

ETA words

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @cu97tiger Our yard was completely overgrown with trees when we started so the decision to take some out was really easy. We removed all the pine trees, poplars, sweet gums, and other "nuisance" trees around what was the original grassy perimeter and left all the oak trees and dogwoods. We knew our old grass was dying because all the tree roots were taking up all the nutrients. We ended up being able to expand the lawn because taking out the trees increased our areas of sun and light shade enough for bermuda to survive. We also had our septic field replaced in January and that tore up our lawn anyway so it was really easy to start over with a semi "blank slate" after that.

• @jenna8984 I love Wildwood! I am missing my family trip year just due to the time my family is going and work stuff.  Cape May is really nice too.  I also spent ever summer as a child growing up going there.  It has some wonderful memories.

@mskittydanger I read the book awhile before the movie Gone Girl came out.  I was so pissed about the ending of the book, I remember being on vacation in the Bahamas and H was seriously concerned about me for a bit.  lol.  I wasn't as upset with the movie for some reason. 

Anniversary

• @peaseblossom55 is the book similar to the movie?
    ps - congrats on baby :)
  • @swazzle Oh I am soooo sold- thank you so much! I am printing that out because I will need to hit every one of those food places. lol. I am kind of a stickler for Trip Advisor reviews so I will likely chose one of their top 5 hotels which generally can't go wrong. And H is all excited about his new bike he just bought so he will love to hear that he can bring it and ride it on the boardwalk! Maybe (hopefully) in Sept the waterparks will be a little less crowded.

• @labro No special perks :( I was just happy to find a place that 1. had vintage cars and 2. would let us do a point-to-point transfer without charging a 2 or 3 hour minimum! And your yard really does look like it should be in a magazine or featured on HGTV. It's gorgeous!

Re: Rolls Royce-- I'm excited for it! It was a little pricier than we were planning for, but when else are we going to be able to ride in a vintage Rolls? 

Also, for all you ladies currently wedding planning, sometimes it's good to do things a little early. For example, my BMs wanted to get their dresses in February for my October wedding, and I originally wanted to put them off until the spring or summer. I'm SO GLAD that we went in February... one of my BMs called me just now and said her dress is waaaaay too big. She said they clearly did not measure her correctly, and she wasn't sure if she should just pay and have it altered like crazy or see if they'll order a new dress for her. I told her to call the boutique and see if they'll reorder or at least handle any alterations for her for free. I'm so relieved this issue popped up now while we have time to fix it instead of right before the wedding...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @GoldenPenguin Reese is producing! I am so beyond curious on how it turns out! What made you like the ending??

@TwoDimes I knowww!!! No dates or specifics that I know of yet, but I'm stoked too :)

fyi - to all those who liked "Gone Girl" and "Girl on a Train", my mother has advised to check out "Mr. Brooks" {movie - unsure if it's a book as well} She said same kind "mind fuck thriller" lol
  • Also in regards to Gone Girl and Girl on a Train, I read "Luckiest Girl in the World" in about 2.5 days on my honeymoon. 100% recommendation!

@MsKittyDanger - I don't want to say too much because of spoilers, but I feel like it ended the only way it COULD end. There was no other resolution between these two characters. Highlight below for spoiler-included discussion.

These two were meant for each other. They both were totally effed up, and the only people they could ever end up with were each other. They were totally co-dependent on each other. In the movie, I felt like he had a little more leeway in which he could have left her, but in the book, there was no other resolution. I can't think of any other situation in which it would have ended that I would have been happy with. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @mskittydaner Mr. Brooks is definitely a movie that I love. It's about 5 years old with Dane Cook and Kevin Costner (yum). Another mind fuck that I love is Identity. That's about 12 years old with Ray Liotta.

• I have 5 minutes! Hi guys! It's raining cats and dogs here. I love and miss you guys tons. This weekend was pretty mellow. Went to see my surgeon to follow up on my knee. Basically the damage that's done can't really be repaired. My knee is always going to be loose and unstable. Only thing I can do is compensate by toning my quads. I'll probably always have trouble with stairs :( It makes me super sad. I'm wondering how much riding I'll ever be able to do again. 
    Anyhow, Friday night was soccer for Bean. Saturday was riding lesson for him. Saturday night we went to the mall to get both kids new shoes and then had dinner at Bobby's Burger Palace (HOLY NOM!). Yesterday I laid in bed most of the day (super sore throat and feeling icky) and then got up and made a Blue Apron meal - crunchy pork chops and summer squash slaw NOM NOM NOM!

Is there anything making you melancholy this morning? My stupid knee.
    What movie could you watch over and over again? The Devil Wears Prada
    What song cheers you up as soon as you hear it? Marching Bands of Manhattan and Codes and Keys (both by DCFC)
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @GoldenPenguin you make an excellent point. I may have to rewatch it just to see it from the point of view through the whole thing. 

@jenna8984 my mum watched for Kevin Costner also {Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves if you're a fan of him but I'm sure you've seen it! ;-)!}
  • TwoDimes said:
    I'm the weird one who LOVED the ending of Gone Girl. I didn't think there was any other way for it TO end! The movie was great. I'm also looking forward to the Girl on the Train movie - if I remember correctly, Reese Witherspoon is producing, and she always does a great job.

WHAT? I did not know they were making a movie of Girl on a Train. SO EXCITED!!

Yea did know this either.  Yay!!!  Sorry there are probably no boxes here....

Anniversary

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Is there anything making you melancholy this morning?
    Today is the first day back after staying at my GF's for two weeks, so I am kind of bummed about not being able to see her again for a little while.

What movie could you watch over and over again?
    Dan In Real Life
    Father of the Bride
    The Fountain

What song cheers you up as soon as you hear it?
    Twist and Shout by The Beatles
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards