Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Has anyone herd of this idea?

So instead of the overused sand ceremony we wanted to do something different, our whole wedding will be different and unique. So I came up with the idea that at the ceremony every parent and grandparent will have a single rose on their chair. At some point durring the ceremony they will all come up and put the rose in a vase. Then me and my groom will each add a rose. After doing so we will each pour water into the vase. The meaning will be two family's bring husband and wife together and so now they are one. Has anyone done anything like this? I'm trying to think of a way for the pastor to announce what we are doing instead of just getting up and doing it.

Re: Has anyone herd of this idea?

• edited July 2015
    ThatGilmoreGirl said: So instead of the overused sand ceremony we wanted to do something different, our whole wedding will be different and unique. So I came up with the idea that at the ceremony every parent and grandparent will have a single rose on their chair. At some point durring the ceremony they will all come up and put the rose in a vase. Then me and my groom will each add a rose. After doing so we will each pour water into the vase. The meaning will be two family's bring husband and wife together and so now they are one. Has anyone done anything like this? I'm trying to think of a way for the pastor to announce what we are doing instead of just getting up and doing it.
    BOXESSSSSSSSSSSSS-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've
    heard of the bride starting down the aisle with one flower and then having family members hand her roses as she walks down the aisle, so at the end she has a full bouquet. I think it's supposed to symbolize how her family helped make her who she is today.

Honestly though, I don't see how putting flowers in a vase symbolizes two families becoming one. If you want to do that somehow, have the parents come up and hand you the sand you'll pour into the vase. Or to a tree-planting ceremony and have the family members each put in a handful of dirt. 

But I also think these unity ceremonies are usually too much. A wedding ceremony is, in and of itself, a unifying ceremony. Unless fresh flowers or sand or trees or whatever are already personal and important to me, it seems like overkill. I don't understand googling some unity ceremony that means nothing to you just for the sake of doing it. 

Edited to build a box
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • So instead of the overused sand ceremony we wanted to do something different, our whole wedding will be different and unique. So I came up with the idea that at the ceremony every parent and grandparent will have a single rose on their chair. At some point durring the ceremony they will all come up and put the rose in a vase. Then me and my groom will each add a rose. After doing so we will each pour water into the vase. The meaning will be two family's bring husband and wife together and so now they are one. Has anyone done anything like this? I'm trying to think of a way for the pastor to announce what we are doing instead of just getting up and doing it.
    Honestly?  I think it is overkill.  The point of the ceremony is to unite you and your FI not you and your FI and your families.  Really the whole marriage thing is a large enough unity ceremony in itself.  And sorry but putting roses in a vase and then adding water doesn't seem very unique or different to me.

• I don't mind unity ceremonies, but how long will it take for this to be done? People don't like having to sit through a lot of extras.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Well I have never herd or seen the idea so I thought it was unique. It's a small ceremony and it would have meaning.
  • http://www.magnetstreet.com/wedding-blog/unity-ceremony-ideas

It is called a unity rose ceremony.  It can be performed many different ways, including the way you describe.  So no, not very unique.

• Awesome thanks for the link!! I have never seen it done before so to me and my groom it's unique!
  • I love the lantern one!!! To bad it will be daytime, cooler if we could do it at night.
  • OK, I'm just gonna put this out there and I hope you don't take offense to it, OP, because I'm seriously trying to be helpful here. 

You seem a bit all over the place with your planning. From your posts, (and there have been several the last couple days) you seem to have a bunch of ideas, a lot of confusion, no real direction, etc. I feel like you don't really know what you want for this wedding and that you have too much going at once. Your focus is in all directions. Do you and your fiancé have a clear plan for your wedding?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I get where you are going with this, but as a guest, a unity ceremony isn't about the whole family, it's about the bride and groom. The parents  being involved is like them giving their blessing to the unity. I get the desire to be different and very away from traditional things, but the fact that a unity ceremony is a traditional event no matter what form you do it in. And I think there is something to be said about doing things in a traditional way instead of trying to always create something new & different to stand out from others.

• I came onto this thread expecting to see a post about a rustic barn wedding using a dairy cow as a ring bearer.  Disappointed there was no cow pun.

I have not heard of this, OP, but PPs have it covered, as usual.  Seems overkill and you may be assuming a lot in terms of people's willingness to participate in your ceremony.  When I attend a wedding as a guest, I personally like to just focus on the couple getting married, not be a part of the ceremony.  
  • Awesome thanks for the link!! I have never seen it done before so to me and my groom it's unique!
    Unique means One of a Kind.  One.  Never again, just the one.  Pretty much nothing is unique.  Especially not overdone "unity" ceremonies.
  • I don't get this. A marriage unites the two people who are making vows, it doesn't unite the two families. Your mother and your spouse's mother will not be related to each other, although they will become mothers-in-law to each of you. 

• I hate to be morbid, but this honestly reminds me of a funeral. Maybe I've been to too many. But usually in my family when someone passes, we all get roses and then place them on the casket at the grave site. This just seems to reminiscent of that. 

We didn't do any unity ceremony. It's OK to skip that. 
  • I don't get this. A marriage unites the two people who are making vows, it doesn't unite the two families. Your mother and your spouse's mother will not be related to each other, although they will become mothers-in-law to each of you. 

Stuck in box...

There actually is a Hebrew word to describe the relationship between people whose children have married each other.

That said, I agree that no unity ceremony is necessary in a wedding beyond the vows themselves.

• I hate to be morbid, but this honestly reminds me of a funeral. Maybe I've been to too many. But usually in my family when someone passes, we all get roses and then place them on the casket at the grave site. This just seems to reminiscent of that. 

My first thought was the morbidity of having everyone show their support with something that will very quickly die... not great symbolism in that, especially during a ceremony that is meant to bind you forever.  And, as others said, it's unifying bride and groom, not necessarily unifying your families together.

We didn't have a unity ceremony because, like others said, the whole wedding is a unity ceremony.  We did include our parents though.  Instead of having my father "give me away", officiant asked "who supports this union?" and we had all our parents stand and state "we do". There are other ways to include loved ones in ceremony.  

• adk19 said:
    Awesome thanks for the link!! I have never seen it done before so to me and my groom it's unique!
    Unique means One of a Kind.  One.  Never again, just the one.  Pretty much nothing is unique.  Especially not overdone "unity" ceremonies.
    Nailed it. At this point, brides who are concerned with standing out would do better to ax the UC all together than try and come up with something novel. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    I don't get this. A marriage unites the two people who are making vows, it doesn't unite the two families. Your mother and your spouse's mother will not be related to each other, although they will become mothers-in-law to each of you. 

Stuck in box...

There actually is a Hebrew word to describe the relationship between people whose children have married each other.

That said, I agree that no unity ceremony is necessary in a wedding beyond the vows themselves.
    Thanks, I didn't know that. 

This was my first association too.

-----------------------

I don't think boxes are working. But this is the exact image that popped into my head.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards