Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Sing-A-Long Wedding Entrance Ideas?

2»

Re: Sing-A-Long Wedding Entrance Ideas?

• OMG this is the worst idea I've heard in a very long time.  Wow. Bad.
  • We did plastic everything in an attempt to deter it. Overall, I think we only had 2-3 groups that tried. And failed. I don't understand why people feel the need to see you kiss. Ew.
    We had one table that kept trying to do it. The first time, DH and I gave each other a quick peck. The time they did it, I went and kissed my BFF. Third (and last) time they did it, DH and I each went a kissed one of our friends. Guess they got the hint after that.

I love to sing. I randomly burst into song all the damn time. However, I would feel really awkward doing a group sing along for a processional and find it hard to focus on the people actually walking down the aisle. And people singing off-key would grate on my nerves.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Sorry OP, I agree with all of the above. I'll sing at the top of my lungs at the end of the night after many drinks, but not at the ceremony. I would not sing at the ceremony. Especially if told I had to.

• Ok- I think this is an AWESOME idea, and am shocked by the hate you're getting back. If you want people to sing along just be confident you've got enough people attending your wedding to lead the singing. What about "Isn't she lovely" by Stevie Wonder? or "Walking on Sunshine?"
    You might want to consider including lyrics on your wedding day program so people have those in hand to help!
    Good luck :)
  • edited July 2015

bb2016 said:

I haven't heard of this kissing on command thing. Hopefully that means no one in my group of family/friends has either! Just no.

Consider yourself lucky. Everyone clinks their glass with a fork or something and you're supposed to kiss. The annoying thing is they do it ALL NIGHT LONG. Even when the couple is trying to eat/enjoy each other for a few minutes. The FI was just in wedding where the couple decided every time this happened they were going to call out a couple they knew to stand up and kiss. FI and I got called pretty quickly but eventually everyone let up...

We might be stealing this idea. 

***pretend there's a box here***

My fiance is inviting a neighbor he and his dad are close with. Dean is a big dude from West Viginia- a little hillbilly- it's great. I keep trying to get my fiance to see if we can send Dean out to kiss the glass clinkers; so far he has not asked him. :-(
  • Ok- I think this is an AWESOME idea, and am shocked by the hate you're getting back. If you want people to sing along just be confident you've got enough people attending your wedding to lead the singing. What about "Isn't she lovely" by Stevie Wonder? or "Walking on Sunshine?"
    You might want to consider including lyrics on your wedding day program so people have those in hand to help!
    It's not hate- It's just that as a guest, I would genuinely feel incredibly uncomfortable if this happened at a wedding I was attending.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

I literally laughed out loud when I read these suggestions. Because I pictured in my head what this would sound like. 

Have you ever been to a karaoke bar with amateurs? Now picture that sound X100 guests without the support of background music. I'm dying laughing just thinking about it.

Ideas like this are the same thing as when you're like 12 and you picture your girlfriends choreographing a dance and singing to Grease or something at a talent show. The execution is flawless. The moves are perfect. Everyone loves it. The crowd stands up and sings/claps along. OMG SO AMAZING!!! But in real life, this literally never happens. It's a thing of the movies.

So fantasize all you want, but this would go over like juicy fart in church.
    *********************************************************************************

• I guess I'm the odd one who wouldn't mind something like this.  H and I attend church as do most of our friends and probably at least 95 percent of our wedding guest list that attended. So we're all pretty used to singing aloud in a group. I'm picturing something like that with a song that everyone knows for the most part and words either on a screen (probably not the best for a wedding) or printed in the program.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015

Lots of people, though, don't like to sing or to be expected to sing-especially when it's just to stroke the ego of someone who is already one of the principals, who has access to music of her own.  That's what makes it not a good idea.

In my family this would only be a good idea if I was prepared to deal with being mocked at every holiday for the rest of my natural life for having the ego to make dozens of my friends and family members sing "Isn't She Lovely" to me as I prance by in a ballgown.

Lol!! So much this.

And I'm pretty sure I would need a cocktail hour BEFORE the ceremony to partake in these shenanigans.
    *********************************************************************************

In my family this would only be a good idea if I was prepared to deal with being mocked at every holiday for the rest of my natural life for having the ego to make dozens of my friends and family members sing "Isn't She Lovely" to me as I prance by in a ballgown.
    Lol!! So much this. And I'm pretty sure I would need a cocktail hour BEFORE the ceremony to partake in these shenanigans.
    A cocktail? I would need at least 3 or 4.

• Eww... everyone singing seems like a bad idea to me.  I think audience participation like that at the ceremony would be awkward.  People really just want to concentrate on the bride as she's entering, not worrying about reading lyrics to a song. It would likely get messed up and throw off your whole entrance and processional.

But, that doesn't mean you need to do a traditional song and entrance either.  I walked down the aisle to Metallica. 

• I think it is a cute idea, as long as there were enough people who would be comfortable singing. Friends of mine did something very similar, it was during the ceremony, not the procession. The lyrics were printed in their program. No one looked super uncomfortable as far as I could tell.But then again, there were quite a few of us that are involved in theatre, so we had no problem singing in as a group. 
  • pennydl said:

I think it is a cute idea, as long as there were enough people who would be comfortable singing. Friends of mine did something very similar, it was during the ceremony, not the procession. The lyrics were printed in their program. No one looked super uncomfortable as far as I could tell.But then again, there were quite a few of us that are involved in theatre, so we had no problem singing in as a group. 

Lots of things that seem like "cute ideas" for weddings unreasonably impose on guests and bridal party members. This is one of them. Even people who like to sing aren't going to appreciate being asked to sing the bride down the aisle. They just want to watch it.
  • Ok going to be honest... If this happened at a wedding I was at.. I'd look at hubby and start laughing... and not sing. We'd talk about it on the way home and how silly it was. We like Broadway but we are NOT singers. 

With that being said IF you are having a very small ceremony like 20 people and you know all of them well enough to know they are great singers. Then by all means... but if it's a larger event ... you said YOUR family what about FI family? 

Did you say you are getting married in a church? Thats pretty traditional, as is wearing a bridal gown.. Is your dad giving you away? Another traditional thing. I wouldn't say you aren't having a traditional wedding when you are. 
  • Ok going to be honest... If this happened at a wedding I was at.. I'd look at hubby and start laughing... and not sing. We'd talk about it on the way home and how silly it was. We like Broadway but we are NOT singers. 

With that being said IF you are having a very small ceremony like 20 people and you know all of them well enough to know they are great singers. Then by all means... but if it's a larger event ... you said YOUR family what about FI family? 

Did you say you are getting married in a church? Thats pretty traditional, as is wearing a bridal gown.. Is your dad giving you away? Another traditional thing. I wouldn't say you aren't having a traditional wedding when you are. 
    FH and I (and my mom and I too!) have a certain look we give each other when batshit crazy things go down that appear to be "the norm" to other people. So while we keep a straight face during the batshit crazy scenario- Such as a Sing-A-Long ceremony- we are laughing hysterically on the car ride home. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    Ok going to be honest... If this happened at a wedding I was at.. I'd look at hubby and start laughing... and not sing. We'd talk about it on the way home and how silly it was. We like Broadway but we are NOT singers. 

FH and I (and my mom and I too!) have a certain look we give each other when batshit crazy things go down that appear to be "the norm" to other people. So while we keep a straight face during the batshit crazy scenario- Such as a Sing-A-Long ceremony- we are laughing hysterically on the car ride home. 
    Yep.  My sister and I can't look at each other if we attend church with our parents on Christmas Eve.  Undoubtedly something totally neutral will happen, but we'll give each other "the look" and be choking on laughter for the rest of the hour.  So if something genuinely silly happened, we'd be wrecks.
  • Anybody who can ask their friends and family to sing "Isn't she lovely" as she is walking down the aisle soundly deserves the amount of eye rolling and talking behind her back that she will receive. 

• I need your help. I don't want a traditional wedding march down the aisle, for the processional, bride's entrance or recessional. I need some ideas. I want one or more to be a sing-a-long. The attendees singing the words during at least one. I'm thinking probably during the bride's entrance. I want the ceremony to be upbeat and joyous. And for family and friends to participate instead of just watch. But I'm drawing a blank. It would need to be something most people know the words to or most of the words, we could even have words in the program. No bad ideas, what came to my mind was Brandy You're a Fine Girl, lol.
    If your guests are the kind who'd be down with a sing a long I think it's a cute idea (apparently I'm in the minority?).  Maybe you could have a discrete screen set up with the words like at karaoke for those who don't know them, or as an extra support for those who do?  Or have them in the program like you said. 

Bruno Mars' "I think I want to marry you" is fun and probably fairly easy to sing along to.
  • I love to sing in a group but I would hate this. I like choosing to, not being forced to. Like at my husband's cousin's wedding, during the recep, the DJ played a couple of songs that were well known and a lot of the guests (including me) sang along. We weren't forced to but it was fun.

Also, your family and friends might like it, but what about your husband's?
  • I was just at a wedding where the groom is a member of a praise and worship band. The couple picked two songs that the vast majority of the wedding guests were unfamiliar with (including the congregants of the church). It was awkward and did not sound nice. I feel like this could end up with a lot of looking down and mumbling instead of having the effect you are hoping for.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    The only way this would work is if the song is "Don't Stop Believing".
    QFT.

• The only way this would work is if the song is "Don't Stop Believing".
    Now there's an idea. It's actually something of a tradition to belt Journey on the dance floor among our college friends.
  • AddieCake said:
    The only way this would work is if the song is "Don't Stop Believing".

Absofuckinglutely. Or "Friends in Low Places."
    Do both!  One for the processional and one for the recessional.

• I'm sorry for resurrecting this zombie, but OBB featured this exact thing today....with the added suggestion of kazoos for people who don't want to sing! o.O

I'd add the link, but I'm not sure if that's allowed? Anyway, it's right on top of their page.....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards