Moms and Maids

Honoring Parent and Grandparents Anniversary

Next year I will be getting married on my grandparents' 61st wedding anniversary and my parents' 28th wedding anniversary. I purposely chose this date to honor both of their marriages. My grandmother and grandfather both passed away within the last three years. However, I am fortunate to still have both of my parents present. I want to do something special to honor both marriages and were wondering what ideas people had. I really want to focus on these two marriages without making my fiance's family feel left out. (Keep in mind that my fiance's parents have been divorced for nearly 30 years and my fiance has never had a close relationship with his biological father or step-father). 

Re: Honoring Parent and Grandparents Anniversary

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Next year I will be getting married on my grandparents' 61st wedding anniversary and my parents' 28th wedding anniversary. I purposely chose this date to honor both of their marriages. My grandmother and grandfather both passed away within the last three years. However, I am fortunate to still have both of my parents present. I want to do something special to honor both marriages and were wondering what ideas people had. I really want to focus on these two marriages without making my fiance's family feel left out. (Keep in mind that my fiance's parents have been divorced for nearly 30 years and my fiance has never had a close relationship with his biological father or step-father). 
    I got married the day before my sister and BIL's anniversary and the anniversary of another couple in attendance.  I found out their wedding songs ahead of time and made sure that at some point during the night the DJ played them so that the couples could dance to them (along with all of the other guests, they weren't singled out and there was no announcement or anything).  Both couples said after the fact that they really appreciated it.

Additionally, if you are doing a program maybe you could put a little mention on the back indicating that the date is also the anniversary of your parents and grandparents.
  • I don't know if these were saved, but at my sister's wedding they displayed the cake toppers from both grand parents weddings. Maybe you could do similar or just have pictures of each wedding?
  • Next year I will be getting married on my grandparents' 61st wedding anniversary and my parents' 28th wedding anniversary. I purposely chose this date to honor both of their marriages. My grandmother and grandfather both passed away within the last three years. However, I am fortunate to still have both of my parents present. I want to do something special to honor both marriages and were wondering what ideas people had. I really want to focus on these two marriages without making my fiance's family feel left out. (Keep in mind that my fiance's parents have been divorced for nearly 30 years and my fiance has never had a close relationship with his biological father or step-father). 

Before you do anything else, I'd talk to your parents and grandparents and make sure that they are okay with having their anniversaries mentioned at your wedding-especially your grandparents.  It may reopen grief that isn't that old.  And even if they are okay with having their anniversaries mentioned, make sure that they are okay with the specific way you plan to do it.

For your FI's parents, again, I'd have your FI talk to his parents and find out what their thoughts and feelings on the matter are.

• I second making sure it ok first then I'd do some sort of collage of photos and a special dance! At my cousins wedding they honored my grandparents but asking all married couples to come to dance for them one by one the picked them off...If you'd been married one day leave the dance floor, if you've been married one month, if you'd been married one year, then 5, 10, 20, 30...on and on until they were the last couple standing! It was in cute everyone was in tears.
  • I second making sure it ok first then I'd do some sort of collage of photos and a special dance! At my cousins wedding they honored my grandparents but asking all married couples to come to dance for them one by one the picked them off...If you'd been married one day leave the dance floor, if you've been married one month, if you'd been married one year, then 5, 10, 20, 30...on and on until they were the last couple standing! It was in cute everyone was in tears.
    Were there any singles, divorce/es, or widow/ers who didn't get to participate in this?  That's not a nice thing to do to people just because they aren't married.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2015
    I do have a problem with memorializing dead people at a wedding.  It seems creepy, at least to me.  (My father died 10 years before my wedding, and there was no mention of his death at our wedding, though all the relatives were thinking about him.) 
    Let your parents have a special dance if they wish.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • First off, let me say how sweet that is to be getting married on your parents and grandparents anniversary. I'm also getting married on my grandmother's birthday to honor her memory. My grandmother meant a lot to me and I always dreamt of her being at my wedding, but she passed before I got engaged. Honestly, I think your parents would be extremely flattered that not only have you chosen their anniversary date, but incorporating their nuptials as well. You can honor them by having framed pictures of your grandparents on their wedding day and your parents on their wedding day. You could also copy the pose that either your parents or grandparents had in their photo. I wish I had an idea to include your FI, but it's really hard to think of something now that you've explained that his parents have been divorced for 3 decades and that he doesn't get along with his daddy...I was going to say maybe you could take a picture with your FMIL and FFIL of them kissing you on the cheek and that he could do the same with your parents, but that could get real awkward real fast. Try talking to FI about the cheek kissing situation and see how it sits with him. As all the pp's said, make sure you play their first dance songs...your parents will love it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards