Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Providing hair and makeup services for BMs?

What is etiquette on providing hair and makeup services for bridesmaids? The salon I am looking at now looks to be fairly reasonable - $30-40 for hair and $30 for makeup ($5-10 extra for fake eyelashes) so it wouldn't be an outrageous expense for them but I'm a newly engaged bride here, so I'm not sure what is expected of us to pay for.

Re: Providing hair and makeup services for BMs?

• If you can afford to pay for hair and makeup for your BMs that would be extremely generous of you. If you can't pay for it or don't want to pay for it, then offer it to your BMs as an optional thing and provide them with the prices.

But if you are in anyway going to make hair and makeup mandatory then you definitely need to pay for it.

• That is a really good price.  Like Maggie said - if you can afford it, it's a nice gesture.  Also, if you're requiring it, you need to pay for it.

I asked my girls who would want hair and makeup professionally done, and then paid for that.  Two got both, two got one or the other, and one got neither.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I didn't have a preference on how my girls did their hair & makeup because I knew they would look good.  When I booked my appointment I sent an email out to my girls and said "I'm getting my hair done at x place at x time. If you would like to get your hair and/or makeup done there also, the price for a blow out is x, for an updo it's x and makeup is x. Please let me know if you want to come to the same place and I can add your name to the list so that they have a stylist available for you." Two of my girls, my mom and my OOT Aunt and OOT sister took me up on the offer. My MIL went to her own stylist. My other two BM lived on the other side of town so they took care of their own hair & makeup and we just met at the church, which was located in the middle of everyone, and got dressed there. If you can afford to pay for their services or even a portion of their services, that is great, but like PP said, unless you are requiring that they get their hair/makeup done professionally, you aren't required to cover those for them.
  • Wow those are great prices! Like PP said you only need to pay for it if you are requiring it. 

Also if you do choose to pay for it this doesn't count as your gift. I'm not saying you would do this but you say you are a newly engaged bride and I had a lot of misconceptions when I started planning. The only gift I'd received as a bridesmaid was jewelry to wear to the wedding so I thought that was the norm. I've seen a lot of posts now about brides who also think that wedding day services/jewelry is a gift but really it's a gift to yourself. Again sorry if you weren't considering it that way I just know I almost made some big mistakes early on in planning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice! After talking with one of my bridesmaids (who is friends with the girl I am considering hiring for hair/makeup), I am thinking of paying for them to get their hair done and giving them the option to get their makeup done and paying for that themselves.

engagedhamstermom, I was not planning on counting this as their bridesmaids' gifts, but I have learned a lot from these boards about that! My first though was earrings or something to wear for the wedding, but I'm definitely exploring different options than that now. :)
  • Thanks for the advice! After talking with one of my bridesmaids (who is friends with the girl I am considering hiring for hair/makeup), I am thinking of paying for them to get their hair done and giving them the option to get their makeup done and paying for that themselves.

engagedhamstermom, I was not planning on counting this as their bridesmaids' gifts, but I have learned a lot from these boards about that! My first though was earrings or something to wear for the wedding, but I'm definitely exploring different options than that now. :)

Maybe ask who wants their hair done, first.  Or, because the prices are comparable, maybe offer to pay for one service and have them be responsible for the other one (if they want it professionally done).  I had five women in my bridal party - my sister did her own hair and makeup, two BMs got both hair and makeup done, and two got either hair or makeup, but not both. 

For my sister's wedding, she paid for hair to be professionally done.  However, I have short, spiky hair, and it took me approximately thirty seconds to do it myself.  She paid for my makeup instead.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards