Snarky Brides
Options

Cocktail Hour Before the Ceremony?

Is this a thing? I am going to a wedding next week with a "meet and greet" before the ceremony.  

Re: Cocktail Hour Before the Ceremony?

• Options
    I've heard of some couples doing it, usually if it's a destination wedding or if most of the guests are from OOT. I know one couple who scheduled it that way because their venue closes early and they wanted to maximize their party time.

It's a little unusual, but I don't think it's breaching any etiquette.
  • Options
    I have heard of some couples doing this, but have never witnessed it myself.  It isn't against etiquette or anything, but I can see how it can be confusing to guests if they aren't used to that kind of set up.

Did the couple list the times for each thing on their invite?  Like Meet and Greet from 1-2, Ceremony 2-2:30, Reception from 2:30-?

• Options
    Every wedding I've gone to or been in has had some sort of "Cocktail hour". Usually with lots of appetizers and drinks. It's usually the in between time so that pictures can be done. However, one wedding I was in, the cocktail hour was done with the receiving line because it was a 300 person wedding. 

You don't have to have a cocktail hour as long as there isn't a gap between your ceremony and reception. If there is going to be a gap, i.e. for pictures or whatnot, then a cocktail hour makes sense. 
  • Options
    Every wedding I've gone to or been in has had some sort of "Cocktail hour". Usually with lots of appetizers and drinks. It's usually the in between time so that pictures can be done. However, one wedding I was in, the cocktail hour was done with the receiving line because it was a 300 person wedding. 

You don't have to have a cocktail hour as long as there isn't a gap between your ceremony and reception. If there is going to be a gap, i.e. for pictures or whatnot, then a cocktail hour makes sense. 

BOXES

Cocktail hours before a reception are pretty commonplace. OP was referring to a cocktail hour before the ceremony, which is less common.

• Options
    colasuda said:

BOXES

Cocktail hours before a reception are pretty commonplace. OP was referring to a cocktail hour before the ceremony, which is less common.

Thanks, I misread that. I've been to weddings that offer refreshments before the ceremony, but not a full out cocktail hour. In my family that would be dangerous. Cocktail hours are bad enough before dinner :)
  • Options
    I've seen it once.   We were able to get alcohol but no food and we milled around talking until we were told to take our seats.   It was very nice.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I've seen it once.   We were able to get alcohol but no food and we milled around talking until we were told to take our seats.   It was very nice.
    How long was it?
    I am thinking this might be an option for my wedding,  I will see how it goes at the wedding I am going to. 
  • Options
    I went to a wedding like this, I really liked it. Lasted, I dunno, maybe 30 minutes? It was a situation where they got married on the dance floor and we all sat and watched from our tables so we got there, had cocktails, found our table, ceremony and then reception. 
  • Options
    I've been to a few weddings like that.     They last about 30 minutes or so.  All the weddings we did on the boat had a pre-cermeony cocktails.  Then we would do the ceremony, then the food and more drinks after the ceremony.

My own wedding was to be on a beach.  Instead it was moved to the tent because of a storm.  The guests ended up having a few drinks while waiting for the ceremony to start.  It wasn't official, but just kind-of happened.  We had transportation, so it was mostly the people who arrived in the first trolley run.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    redoryx said:
    I went to a wedding like this, I really liked it. Lasted, I dunno, maybe 30 minutes? It was a situation where they got married on the dance floor and we all sat and watched from our tables so we got there, had cocktails, found our table, ceremony and then reception. 

I was just about to post a thread in the receptions forum about this. We're having a similar set up with the ceremony at the reception and the guests sitting at their tables for it and was going to ask if anyone thought it was weird if I had the bar open 30 minuts before. At the risk of hijacking thi thread, would you put this on the invitation? Like "Meet and Greet" at 4pm, "Ceremony" at 4:30pm? Or do you just put the ceremony time and if people get there early they can grab a drink while they wait?
  • Options
    redoryx said:

I was just about to post a thread in the receptions forum about this. We're having a similar set up with the ceremony at the reception and the guests sitting at their tables for it and was going to ask if anyone thought it was weird if I had the bar open 30 minuts before. At the risk of hijacking thi thread, would you put this on the invitation? Like "Meet and Greet" at 4pm, "Ceremony" at 4:30pm? Or do you just put the ceremony time and if people get there early they can grab a drink while they wait?
    The wedding I am going to says, "meet and greet at 5:30" ceremony at 6:00, Reception following
  • Options
    Actually I went to a fabulous Indian wedding that did this in Long Beach Ca. I don't remember if they had alcohol, but they had tea, refreshment and coffee as well as some pastries and light finger food. People milled around and chatted before the ceremony which started around 4-5pm and it was nice. I found it perfect because the ceremony was traditional and rather long, so I didn't have to worry about my stomach growling.

Post ceremony they had a buffet style cocktail hour in a different part of the hotel which I could have sworn was the main meal because there was so much food. Then they had an actual sit down dinner in the ballroom. I was stuffed! Best wedding ever though.
  • Options
    banana468 said:

This happened at mine by accident. Ceremony and reception were at the same place, and they already had the bar set up at like, 5:30. With a 6pm ceremony and a bunch of early birds, people just started drinking. 
    Of course, as the bride, I missed out and only found out later. One uncropped picture of me coming down the aisle has empties on the table behind me. Classy! 
    (And the venue didn't charge us extra for the additional hour of bar time that actually occurred. Woo!)

I think the meet and greet before the ceremony is a nice idea. You always have early birds. Having even something like cucumber water available before the ceremony is a nice touch. I've heard of people giving out champagne before the ceremony. I'm on board with this concept for sure.  

• Options
    justsuzie said:
    redoryx said:

The wedding I am going to says, "meet and greet at 5:30" ceremony at 6:00, Reception following

I can't remember, but I suspect the invites said Cocktails starting at 6:30, Ceremony at 7, Reception to follow or something
  • Options
    A friend of mine had the cocktail hour before her ceremony, as she had quite a few people coming in from out of town. I don't remember if she mentioned the cocktail hour on her invitation though. Her reasoning to do the cocktail hour before the ceremony was so people wouldn't miss the ceremony if they got stuck in traffic. It worked out really well.
  • Options
    Should you have food available if you are serving drinks?
  • Options
    justsuzie said:
    Should you have food available if you are serving drinks?
    I would.  Nothing huge, just some snacks, like pretzels and nuts and popcorn.  Things like that.  It is always a good idea to have food when alcohol is being served because you never know when your guests last ate.

• Options
    We actually have been talking about having a table serving up beer on the way to the ceremony. We are getting married at a craft brewery, and the ceremony is outside. It's early October so the weather should be nice, but I wouldn't mind having a cold beer to sip on during the ceremony if I were a guest. I'm sure the families will frown upon it, but oh well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards