Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Changing ENTIRE name (not just last name)?

First post, and my first real conundrum I can't solve myself!

For my entire life, I have been called by my middle name. My first name is a family name and seems pretty simple to read, but somehow, teachers, government officials, and 9 out of every 10 people I've had to use my legal name with have butchered the pronunciation and I'm sick of it. I'm also sick of explaining to people why my parents chose to do this (they thought [middle name] [first name] sounded bad in that order, but I disagree).

So when I get married, I plan to change my name to [middle name] [first name] [married name]. Has anyone done anything similar? Can I just go through the normal process for changing my last name, or do I have to do anything extra? Thanks in advance!

Re: Changing ENTIRE name (not just last name)?

• It depends where you live. Some places only allow you to take your spouse's last name for marriage and require other paperwork/fees for other name changes. If you post your location in general terms (country and state or province) we can help you google for a specific answer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This will depend on where you live. The best thing to do in this situation is call your local Social Security office or even the courthouse and ask.

FTR, I've always gone by my middle name (first is family name and it didn't sound good in the opposite order) and I left it how it was and just changed my last name. I've gotten use to correcting people so it isn't a huge deal.

• Like PP said, it really depends on where you live.

FWIW, I have always gone by a nickname for my middle name.  I have just gotten used to correcting people or just answering when people call me by my first name (did this a lot my last year of college because I just didn't care anymore).  I don't really get upset or care if people call me by my first name because those people who I do care about know what I like to be called.  But then again I am not in a certain career field where having to constantly correct people is an issue or my full legal name is ever used.

• Fingers crossed I am planning on changing my middle and last names. I want to go from First Middle Maiden to First Middle-Maiden HusbandLast

Ex. Sara Ann Smith 
    Sara Ann-Smith Jones
    11/21/2012 - Chapter 1: The Text
    10/23/2014 - Chapter 2: The Proposal
    11/21/2015 - Chapter 3: The Wedding

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards