Military Brides

Bridal Shower

edited July 2015 in Military Brides

My sister is getting married in a couple of months, her fiancé is in the Air Force and is being transferred out of the country in February.  I would like to plan a bridal shower or something small for her.  They are correctly living with my sister's parents and once he is transferred she is staying here, he will be away for a year and once he is done with that he will be sent somewhere else for 2 years and my sister will be going with him.  My issue is as I don't know where they will be living or what they will need, how do I have a bridal shower?  They have no room to store gifts or the money to pay for storage.  Is there an alternative to the normal bridal shower that we can do for her?  Thank you for any suggestions.

Re: Bridal Shower

• I would first talk to your sister, she may have some of the same concerns and may not want a bridal shower because of this. One of the things that you could do is have a bridal luncheon or something similar- something that gets whomever your sister wants together but doesn't stem around gift giving?
    My sister is getting married in a couple of months, her fiancé is in the Air Force and is being transferred out of the country in February.  I would like to plan a bridal shower or something small for her.  They are correctly living with my sister's parents and once he is transferred she is staying here, he will be away for a year and once he is done with that he will be sent somewhere else for 2 years and my sister will be going with him.  My issue is as I don't know where they will be living or what they will need, how do I have a bridal shower?  They have no room to store gifts or the money to pay for storage.  Is there an alternative to the normal bridal shower that we can do for her?  Thank you for any suggestions.

• Came for the DD. Disappointing.

OP, for future reference, it is considered rude to delete your post. Lurkers may be able to learn from past posts and thus, it is helpful to leave them up.

As for your original question, I agree with PP. Talk to your sister.
  • edited July 2015
    I didn't mean to delete it, I was editing it when my daughter woke up and must of did something.  I just notice it.
  • I have a friend who politely asked for no gifts, but instead gift cards or checks to start their future.  I can't remember the way it was written though.  They were moving overseas and couldn't bring the gifts with them, well it would be a pain to bring it all.  They had a "sprinkle" instead of a shower but everyone still got together to celebrate.  This could be an option when you talk to your sister about ideas that make it easier on her and her FI.  
  • I have a friend who politely asked for no gifts, but instead gift cards or checks to start their future.  I can't remember the way it was written though.  They were moving overseas and couldn't bring the gifts with them, well it would be a pain to bring it all.  They had a "sprinkle" instead of a shower but everyone still got together to celebrate.  This could be an option when you talk to your sister about ideas that make it easier on her and her FI.  
    This isn't really good advice since a shower is to "shower" the bride with physical gifts. I don't care how cute a poem or wording is if I'm invited to a shower I'm bringing a physical boxed gift. I bring gift cards/check/cash to the actual wedding. I have only heard of the therm "sprinkle" used for second baby showers.
  • tojaitojai member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I definitely agree with asking her.  I came home from overseas to get married and went right back a few days later.  Nobody offered me a bridal shower, but I would have declined if they did. 

As for alternatives, I think a bridal luncheon or just a fun girl's night out is a great idea. 
  • All a matter of what works best for OP sister.  Just stating what I've seen work with an Active Duty couple.  He was doing what @tojai did and if guests had brought everything from wall decor to washers/dryers, I hope they give her the gift receipt too.  I'd rather deal with buying what works for the new home than risk TMO ruining your new kitchenaid mixer, which then they'll send you a check and you're at square one again. Not to mention the months it takes to even get your household goods delivered. A get together sounds great, but of course anything with food is great!
  • Agree with @Justsie and @tojai.  You are wise to consider the logistical issues here.  If there is absolutely no way to store gifts until she can join him in a year then it may be best to consider a luncheon.  It is never appropriate to ask for gift cards or money ILO boxed gifts at a shower - that is the whole purpose for the shower!

I think a luncheon would be lovely!
    Asking for gift cards and checks is extremely rude in all instances, and also inappropriate for a shower, the express purpose of which is to shower the couple with physical presents.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards