Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

How to make hair lighter

So my engagement pictures are next week and I went this week to get my hair colored.  My girl got married and is on her honeymoon...i went to someone who i know but I think my hair is to dark now.  I dont want to go color my hair again but I wanted to know if anyone had any natural ways to make it lighter?  I am looking things on pinterest to see if I get anywhere with this.  TIA

Re: How to make hair lighter

• You could try washing it a bunch of times. My hair always fades a bit over time and I attribute it to washing though I don't actually have any proof of that. Especially if it's a red color, red just didn't want to stay in my hair more than a couple of washes. 

Sit out in the sun a bunch (because everyone needs more of an excuse to do that, haha). 

I think I read somewhere that either lemon or lime juice can help naturally lighten hair but again I have no proof on that I just remember reading it on pinterest this weekend. 

You could also consider just getting some highlights done on the top of your hair that way you aren't re-dying all of your hair.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Be careful with doing lemon juice, depending on the coloring of your hair, it could turn it a funky color and I've heard it can dry out hair too depending on your hair type. The suggestion of sitting out in the sun is a good one. Also if you use a natural or organic type of hair product, go to the store and get something basic and don't get something for color treated hair. It will naturally strip the color out then each time you wash it. It will be a slow process, but until your regular girl comes back, it will help.
  • You could try washing it a bunch of times. My hair always fades a bit over time and I attribute it to washing though I don't actually have any proof of that. Especially if it's a red color, red just didn't want to stay in my hair more than a couple of washes. 

Sit out in the sun a bunch (because everyone needs more of an excuse to do that, haha). 

I think I read somewhere that either lemon or lime juice can help naturally lighten hair but again I have no proof on that I just remember reading it on pinterest this weekend. 

You could also consider just getting some highlights done on the top of your hair that way you aren't re-dying all of your hair.
    Do NOT do this! It can turn your hair, depending on the colour already in it, green, or orange. Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo several times. Just keep in mind that this may dry out your hair so you may want to use a hair mask after.
  • Thank you all for your advice.  I have been washing with Head & Shoulders since Tuesday every day.  I will have to do a hair mask for sure this weekend because I can feel my hair being so dry and the weather in NJ is not helping.  But the harsh darkness of the color is starting to break down which is good...and my hair dress will be the only one to dye my hair before teh wedding to avoid this.  Thank you all again
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards