DIY Wedding Forum

HELP with decor!

Hi guys!

I need help! I would love to hear your ideas on what to do with these shelves at our wedding venue. From what I've seen, people usually put picture frames, flowers, and candles on the shelves. I'm not opposed to doing so, but the shelves are in a dark corner. At night, theres minimum light in that corner. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out something creative to no avail! 

Thanks for all of your help! 

Re: HELP with decor!

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Are the shelves adjustable at all?  If a cake table will be placed in front of it, you could place one, slightly elevated simple candle arrangement behind it.

You could also just put some simple, free standing draping over it, and cover the shelves up. 
  • Get some non holiday stocking hangers of your initals or little frames, and use those to swag/hang tulle wrapped around a string of lights? One it'll lighten it up a little, two it'll take up space and need less to fill it. 

Fller- Mix and match below
    -Backlit photos. Hinge two frames together with a b/w photo on translucent paper, place a LED candle behind. If you got a laser printer print a few photos in b/w on vellum (or very thin paper) or you can pay to print to a transpareny (cheaper and staff are more familiar with how) at a print store then layer wax or vellum behind the transparency. 
    - Books with your colors. Go to a used book sale, and buy a box or of unwanted hardbacks, 2nd and Charles (a 2nd hand media store) has "free" bins you can peruse for interesting hardbacks but you'll only find 1-2 per trip. 
    -Re-purposing the Bridal party bouqets- buy wide mouth vases and place the bridal party bouquets here.
    -Wrap a handful of small fake presents in your colors and place on shelves for guests to place presents on shelves. 
  • Also different types of candle holders with battery operated lights in them would be great. Then you don't have to worry abou hot wax or anything like that. Mix that with the photos, it will look like a beautiful home decor.

• Buy some large letters and spell something out.  Fill it up with candles?
  • Get some non holiday stocking hangers of your initals or little frames, and use those to swag/hang tulle wrapped around a string of lights? One it'll lighten it up a little, two it'll take up space and need less to fill it. 

Fller- Mix and match below
    -Backlit photos. Hinge two frames together with a b/w photo on translucent paper, place a LED candle behind. If you got a laser printer print a few photos in b/w on vellum (or very thin paper) or you can pay to print to a transpareny (cheaper and staff are more familiar with how) at a print store then layer wax or vellum behind the transparency. 
    - Books with your colors. Go to a used book sale, and buy a box or of unwanted hardbacks, 2nd and Charles (a 2nd hand media store) has "free" bins you can peruse for interesting hardbacks but you'll only find 1-2 per trip. 
    -Re-purposing the Bridal party bouqets- buy wide mouth vases and place the bridal party bouquets here.
    -Wrap a handful of small fake presents in your colors and place on shelves for guests to place presents on shelves. 
    Wow.. can you come decorate my house? Love the book idea you have going there and I may have to snag it for my wedding. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, maybe glowsticks behind frames/decoration. Also, mirrors help reflect light so maybe small mirrors?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I would use this as a get to know the maids and groomsman...have a photo of each girl with some info about themselves then add candles or light candles. Depending on the theme of your wedding put some greenery and i love the large letter idea or spell something our with white or light colored letters.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards