Snarky Brides

Business card...

I just rec'd a wedding invitation that included the business card of a travel agent. 

98% of people have to travel over 3 hours for this wedding. 

The travel agent is relative of the groom.  They requested all travel go through her.  They won't even provide the hotel block code, must use travel agent. 

*sigh*

Re: Business card...

• I just used this gif in another thread but I feel like it could work here as well...

• WTF?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Well, that's a new one….DECLINE! Or find some other cheap hotel and don't us the TA at all just to make a point.
    That's what I would do.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Uhh yeah in this day and age, it's not that hard to find your own travel and hotel accomodations.  Travel agent is totally unnecessary!
    Married 9.12.15
  • Well, that's a new one….DECLINE! Or find some other cheap hotel and don't us the TA at all just to make a point.
    This is probably what I'd do if it was a wedding I had been looking forward to.
  • So I know some agents who work with a bride and groom will tell them if their guests use them they will give them x amount towards their honeymoon. Usually done by using some of the commission money. Either way a member of their family is making money off of the wedding because they are FORCING people to use that person. That's gross.

• That's just nasty. 

Somewhat related, FMIL has had nightmares about her FIL handing out his business cards at our wedding.  I mentioned it to FI and he said he would be more than thoroughly surprised if that didn't happen. Sigh. Some people suck.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • So I know some agents who work with a bride and groom will tell them if their guests use them they will give them x amount towards their honeymoon. Usually done by using some of the commission money. Either way a member of their family is making money off of the wedding because they are FORCING people to use that person. That's gross.

I agree. But they aren't forcing people to use the travel agent. They are making them feel like they need to, and it's still gross. My cousin got married OOT. They had a hotel block booked at the same hotel as the wedding. We didn't stay there. We stayed nearby, because I was 7.5 months pregnant and didn't want to be kept up with rowdiness (not that this always happens at weddings and hotel blocks, but I knew it would, and it did). I didn't want to feel like I had to stay up and visit with family, as I was easily exhausted. The hotel we stayed at was our favourite hotel. My dad is a light sleeper and decided to stay at the same hotel as we did. The groom's uncle did too. It was within walking distance (and was even cheaper than the block at the other hotel. I know because my dad got my younger sister a room there so she could be near the party).

Also, I've never booked a hotel block with a "code". Can't you just call the hotel, make your own reservation and say I'm with the whatever wedding? We've only done it twice, but that's how we've done it before.
  • Yuck! I thought it bad enough when I learned that for every room booked for my friends wedding block they got $XX off of the reception space at the hotel so u were supposed to book that way even though it wasn't that good of a deal
  • Umm No! Hotels.com has run some decent deals over time... no one says you have to stay with the crowd! 

• kvruns said:
    Yuck! I thought it bad enough when I learned that for every room booked for my friends wedding block they got $XX off of the reception space at the hotel so u were supposed to book that way even though it wasn't that good of a deal
    Unless your friend arranged it that way and/or pushed you to reserve there, it isn't really your friend's fault. Many hotels give the B&G a discount or a free gift if a certain number of guests come and/or reserve rooms. It isn't the fault of the B&G unless they push their guests to reserve there. Simply telling them there's a block of rooms there doesn't count.

As for the OP, what makes that tacky is that they're requesting everyone use the travel agent. I'd have no problem with it if they simply included the agent's card as an "if you need one" kind of thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards