Destination Weddings Discussions

Bahamas Wedding 2016 Advice Needed

Hi! Any and all advice on planning a wedding in the Bahamas is much appreciated! We are thinking April 2016. I would like an family friendly place since my nephew who will be 1.5 years old by then will be coming. However I don't want it to be over run by kids either. Would love an all inclusive and on the island of Nassau. Guests about 10-15 people and for sure want ceremony on the beach. I have looked into Melia on the website but waiting to hear more info back from them. I am a wedding photographer so photography is of upmost importance to me so suggestions on that as well please!!

Re: Bahamas Wedding 2016 Advice Needed

• Nassau (or the Bahamas) is not the best place for all inclusives. Your only other choices are Breezes or Riu Palace. Depending on when in April (not sure of the timing of Easter) the resorts won't be too busy with kids, assuming Spring Breaks are over with. However, that is something you really cannot control because the pickings are slim and you want something family friendly.

If you want all inclusive, your best bets are the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, or Mexico.

• If you are open to other locations, I would suggest the Secrets in Cozumel, Mexico or the Secrets in Punta Cana.  Both, I think, share the property with a family friendly resort. So you could stay on the adults-only side, while your nephew and his family stays on the family friendly side. If you stay on the adults only side, you have access to the entire property, kids just can't go to the adults side. From what I've seen, the weddings can be held on either side of the beach. There are AIs littered around the Carribean with simlar setups.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Thank you! Ill look into Punta Cana for sure! We have been to Mexico many times so were wanting somewhere different. Did you stay at Secrets or have wedding there? :)
  • Also if either of you have photos of where you stayed I would love to see them! Thanks!!
  • If you are open to other locations, I would suggest the Secrets in Cozumel, Mexico or the Secrets in Punta Cana.  Both, I think, share the property with a family friendly resort. So you could stay on the adults-only side, while your nephew and his family stays on the family friendly side. If you stay on the adults only side, you have access to the entire property, kids just can't go to the adults side. From what I've seen, the weddings can be held on either side of the beach. There are AIs littered around the Carribean with simlar setups.

The Secrets property in Punta Cana does not share a resort complex with Dreams, which is the family friendly sister resort of the Secrets brand. However, there are two Dreams properties in Punta Cana and a Now Resort, which is another brand related to Secrets/Dreams and is also family friendly. Secrets is adults only, so I don't think it's the best fit.

There are MANY resorts to choose from in Punta Cana, so I'm sure you'll find something that works for your family and your budget.

• Thank you we looked into Dreams today and it sounds really nice! Only concern was beach bc everyone was complaining of seaweed but looks like that can happen anywhere? I do think you are right and Punta Cana has more options for us :)
  • The seaweed is said to be a result of global warming or pollution or maybe shifts in weather. So, there is absolutely no guessing as to where it will be and when. This year's over abundance of it was not something that could be predicted and no one knows when it will go away. 

We were in Mexico in May and noticed it on the beach, but it did not bother us as we did not swim in the ocean. We chose to mainly lay by the pool, which is perfect for us!

• We are booking Dreams La Romana this week and so excited! If anyone knows a great photographer nearby let me know! Not too impressed with resort photogs
  • I'm getting married in the Nassau next April too, so I've been doing TONS of research.  On Andros Island (which according to my research is a 13 minute flight from Nassau), there is a place called Swain's Cay Lodge.  They have an all inclusive package where you can rent out the full lodge up to 22 people.  For $7750, you get the lodge for 2 nights, dinners for all guests, and a few other things.  That might be fun for your nephew, but he'd be the only child there.  I'd love to know where you've decided as I'm still deciding myself.  It's hard to choose someplace that I can't visit in person beforehand.  Try checking out this website for more info: http://www.bahamas.com/directory?title=&island=2&category=services&things_to_do=All&services=107&=Apply.  There are lots of places specifically in Nassau.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards