Favors

Sunglassses Wedding Favors

vievyrvievyr member
First Anniversary
How many sunglasses should I buy for my wedding favors?
Has anyone done this and had leftovers? or should I buy Exta?

Re: Sunglassses Wedding Favors

• I wouldn't buy them. People usually have their own.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't use that as your favor. I only like either oversized square sunglasses or cateye. I won't buy or wear pretty much anything else unless I'm truly desperate and borrow on of FIs.

People have very specific taste with sunglasses.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Sunglasses are not one size fits all, or one style fits all.  The vast majority of people will leave them behind and you'll have to deal with a ton of leftovers.

If you are going to go with favours (which aren't necessary), the general consensus here is to go with something edible.  Yummy treats are fun.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • You are going to have a lot of cheap sunglasses to drop off at Goodwill after your wedding.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Denise40 said:

I wouldn't buy them. People usually have their own.

This. I think it's a total waste of your money. Favors aren't necessary, so just skip them if this is your only idea.
    *********************************************************************************

• Complete waste of money.  I have my own pair of sunglasses that took me forever to pick out since I am very picky about the type of sunglasses I wear.  And sorry but I don't want some cheap pair of sunglasses.

So if you are adamant about having favors do something edible.

• I would totally leave them on the table.  I'm a sunglass snob.  I drop in upwards of $400 for sunglasses.  I've had the same pair for 5 years now.  If I break or lose the pair I have now within 24 hours I will have a new pair.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

We did sunglasses has the groomsmen gift. H picked a very classic style that was good quality.  Everyone loved them. We have been married 3 years and I still notice some of the GMs wearing them.

However, I think cheap sunglass as a favor is a waste.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Save your money. People usually have their own. And I'd never wear or take with me favor sunglasses. 
  • KatWAG said:

We did sunglasses has the groomsmen gift. H picked a very classic style that was good quality.  Everyone loved them. We have been married 3 years and I still notice some of the GMs wearing them.

My DH got sunglasses last year for a GM gift.  Ray-bans, so not cheap.  He has a fat head and they didn't fit.   He ended up giving them to his new sister-in-law.      I sure like most group gifts, it works for some and not for others.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    lyndausvi said:
    KatWAG said:

My DH got sunglasses last year for a GM gift.  Ray-bans, so not cheap.  He has a fat head and they didn't fit.   He ended up giving them to his new sister-in-law.      I sure like most group gifts, it works for some and not for others.
    We did Ray- Ban Aviators. But All of H's friends must have skinny heads because they fit just fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    vievyr said:
    How many sunglasses should I buy for my wedding favors?
    Has anyone done this and had leftovers? or should I buy Exta?
    None.

No one wants cheap sunglasses.  Everyone has different face shapes and not all sunglasses look good on all people or even fit all people.  Some people wear glasses and have no use for non-prescription sunglasses.  Most people won't take them.  May as well use your money as kindling for a bonfire.

Get edible or nothing at all.  Favors aren't required and most people won't miss them.
  • I know i'm definitely in the minority, but I LOVE getting cheap sunglasses for free at events.  Mostly for summertime when we go boating/hiking/swimming and play lots of outdoor sports.  It's nice to not have to worry about ruining them while doing those activities.  Especially if your wedding is outdoors it would great for people who forgot sunglasses. 

That being said - favors are definitely not necessary and obviously other people are very picky about sunglasses so:1) I wouldn't order extra2) I wouldn't do this unless the cost is 100% within your budget....i.e. don't make sacrifices elsewhere just to do this, it's not worth it 3) I'd prefer not to have your wedding date or personalization on it.  Maybe just make them your wedding colors?  

• Skip it.  Sunglasses are a very personal taste. Even if you bought me expensive sunglasses, chances are I won't like how they look on me.  Forget about cheapo ones for favors - guarantee they're not making it out of the reception hall.
  • I've had someone's wedding favor sunglasses sitting here in my office drawer since I started this job.  No idea who they belong to or how long they've been here.  Basically.... people don't place a value on them.  So don't bother spending the money.

Side note, if anybody in the Denver area wants a free pair of sunglasses that says Ryan <3 Rachel on one side and Mexico  - 11.16.2014 on the other... come visit me.

Married 9.12.15
  • I've had someone's wedding favor sunglasses sitting here in my office drawer since I started this job.  No idea who they belong to or how long they've been here.  Basically.... people don't place a value on them.  So don't bother spending the money.

Side note, if anybody in the Denver area wants a free pair of sunglasses that says Ryan <3 Rachel on one side and Mexico  - 11.16.2014 on the other... come visit me.

Oh my goodness - someone actually personalized them?  On what tacky self-absorbed planet to Ryan and Rachel live that they thought someone would want to wear those in public and then get asked by random strangers "Oh, are you Rachel (Ryan)?"  "Uhhhh...no. Rachel is my friend I met in Econ 301 my second year of college who got married last year."  "Oh."

And why doesn't Rachel <3 Ryan?
  • http://www.logolenses.com

I have a pair from my gym, which were a year end gift.  They are silver and the right lens says "I (with a big heart)" and the left lens has our gym name.  I have worn them exactly 0 times,  They're a little hard to see out of.  I'm thinking of making some for my school kids I coach, cos I think 11-13 year olds would find them fun.  I personally wouldn't do it, but if you're so inclined, the link is above.  

Here's a sample (from a different gym than mine):

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards