Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Changed reception idea/location.

My FI and I have been talking alot about the wedding lately and we have decided that we want to host our reception at a local restaurant that is very close to our house. We are also thinking that having the ceremony at a church would be nice as well. I know it's totally different than what we were thinking originally but we are having 16 people and the budget is still the same. We are planning on $40-$50 per person including drinks (alcoholic and non) but are not limiting if it's above that number. We would have the supper and cake at the restaurant and music,dancing and a bonfire at our house after since it's close. Does this sound good or should we stick to our original plan of a BBQ at home?

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Changed reception idea/location.

• My FI and I have been talking alot about the wedding lately and we have decided that we want to host our reception at a local restaurant that is very close to our house. We are also thinking that having the ceremony at a church would be nice as well. I know it's totally different than what we were thinking originally but we are having 16 people and the budget is still the same. We are planning on $40-$50 per person including drinks (alcoholic and non) but are not limiting if it's above that number. We would have the supper and cake at the restaurant and music,dancing and a bonfire at our house after since it's close. Does this sound good or should we stick to our original plan of a BBQ at home?
    As long as the restaurant has room for 16 people and everything is hosted it sounds fine. 
  • Honestly, sounds better to me.  Minimal prep-work beforehand and no clean-up on your part - sounds like a win to me.
  • That sounds like a really nice plan!
  • Yes that's what we were thinking as well. The restaurant is fairly small but has room for our group. The prices are reasonable for the whole menu without having to do a restricted menu. It's a casual family place and we really like the food. I think this also is less stress on us because the venue doesn't need decoration and we don't have to worry about renting chairs and tables for the backyard. We would only need a few chairs and tables in the backyard and a dancing area for the after party. We don't expect a few guests to want to stay late like the older ladies. We have enough lawn chairs ourselves to accomodate the rest. Thinking more about it, I like the idea better and better.

• Yes that's what we were thinking as well. The restaurant is fairly small but has room for our group. The prices are reasonable for the whole menu without having to do a restricted menu. It's a casual family place and we really like the food. I think this also is less stress on us because the venue doesn't need decoration and we don't have to worry about renting chairs and tables for the backyard. We would only need a few chairs and tables in the backyard and a dancing area for the after party. We don't expect a few guests to want to stay late like the older ladies. We have enough lawn chairs ourselves to accomodate the rest. Thinking more about it, I like the idea better and better.

Just make sure to check with your neighbors and on any zoning restrictions.  It's a pain in the rear to think about, but here we've got burning and noise restrictions (any fire above 3' round needs a permit and music off by 10...)

But I really like the restaurant idea much better - makes things much easier for you!  Also, you never know if the restaurant will be willing to do the cake there for you...

• DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    I'm seeing that small weddings held at a restaurant or similar venue are on trend right now. This type of wedding offers Affordability, inclusiveness and convenience. Your plan sounds really nice. I too am planning something similar.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Yes that's what we were thinking as well. The restaurant is fairly small but has room for our group. The prices are reasonable for the whole menu without having to do a restricted menu. It's a casual family place and we really like the food. I think this also is less stress on us because the venue doesn't need decoration and we don't have to worry about renting chairs and tables for the backyard. We would only need a few chairs and tables in the backyard and a dancing area for the after party. We don't expect a few guests to want to stay late like the older ladies. We have enough lawn chairs ourselves to accomodate the rest. Thinking more about it, I like the idea better and better.

Just make sure to check with your neighbors and on any zoning restrictions.  It's a pain in the rear to think about, but here we've got burning and noise restrictions (any fire above 3' round needs a permit and music off by 10...)

But I really like the restaurant idea much better - makes things much easier for you!  Also, you never know if the restaurant will be willing to do the cake there for you...

I have checked with our neighbors and they are ok with it, they have loud parties regularly and we hear them well into the night so our low key wedding is not a problem for them. We are going to have a fire bowl so the fire won't be too big, just a small fire that we can roast marshmallows and relax after the reception. I will check into permits for sure though, thanks for mentioning that. I am so excited now because I know this will be an awesome wedding, I can't wait, I just hope this year goes by really fast lol.

• I'm seeing that small weddings held at a restaurant or similar venue are on trend right now. This type of wedding offers Affordability, inclusiveness and convenience. Your plan sounds really nice. I too am planning something similar.
    Yes that is what we want, I want to walk in and have a nice meal with the people I love and care about. We will be married and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. Sweet and simple and easy on the wallet. Sounds alot better than having to take out a second mortgage to fund one day in our lives.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards