Wedding Invitations & Paper

Inviting some kids but not others

helenasuehelenasue member
First Anniversary First Comment
Hi everyone,

We are inviting the 5 children who are actually *in* our wedding, but no others. Is there a polite way to word this on the invitations? I'm worried that if we write 'Adults Only' or 'No Children, Please' it will upset guests whose children were not invited when they see other children in attendance.

How can we politely make it clear to guests that some children are invited, but not theirs?

Re: Inviting some kids but not others

• helenasue said:
    Hi everyone,

We are inviting the 5 children who are actually *in* our wedding, but no others. Is there a polite way to word this on the invitations? I'm worried that if we write 'Adults Only' or 'No Children, Please' it will upset guests whose children were not invited when they see other children in attendance.

How can we politely make it clear to guests that some children are invited, but not theirs?
    There is no need to inform anyone on who is not invited to the wedding. For people who have children that you are not inviting you simply address the invitation to the parents only. Some may write in their children, which then you call and say "I'm sorry for the confusion Joe Smith, but only you and Sally are invited to the wedding." Do not write "adults only" or "no children" on the invitation. 
  • No you don't note this on the invite.  You just invite those that you want, by name, on the envelope.  Just be prepared for people to add on to the RSVP (because people will do this).  So prepare an easy line of "I am sorry but we are only able to accommodate you and Tom, not Susie and Joey" or "I am sorry if there was any confusion but the invite was only for you and Tom" to call those who do try and RSVP for more then were invited.

• Just address the invitation to the parents only. Should anyone RSVP for their kids as well as themselves, you can tell them, "I'm sorry for any confusion, Jane, but the invitation is for you and John only. We aren't able to accommodate the kids."

Don't apologize for not inviting the kids or explain why, because then you'll have parents claiming they can't find a babysitter/they'll pay for the kids/the kids barely or won't eat anything/the kids will sit on their laps/you won't notice the kids ad nauseum. Stand firm.
  • It is very rude to  say anything about people who aren't invited.  This includes "no children".  You simply invite whom you want to invite.  Do not mention others in your invitation.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards