Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake and Cupcakes - What Happens to the Cake?

Hi :) We are considering getting a two tier cake for the traditional cake cutting and considering cupcakes to supplement cake for the guests.

If we do that, what happens to the cake? Do we just save it? Eat it at brunch the next day? I can't imagine a handful of people get a slice of cake and everyone else gets cupcakes. I figure it's all or none, right?

Oh and we don't plan on saving the top tier. I'd rather just eat it on our wedding day or soon thereafter.

Thanks!!

Re: Cake and Cupcakes - What Happens to the Cake?

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2015

Personally, I would either get a much smaller cake (like a 6-8" round) and give everyone cupcakes, or get a bigger cake and give everyone cake.  If you're really just doing the cake only for the cake cutting, then I'm not sure the point of a two tier.

Exactly how many guests are you having and why are you doing cupcakes to "supplement"?  If it's a cost saving measure, you may not actually save with cupcakes.

• Instead of supplementing with cupcakes get sheetcakes that are made just like the2 tier cake and have them cut in the kithen.
  • Hi :) We are considering getting a two tier cake for the traditional cake cutting and considering cupcakes to supplement cake for the guests. If we do that, what happens to the cake? Do we just save it? Eat it at brunch the next day? I can't imagine a handful of people get a slice of cake and everyone else gets cupcakes. I figure it's all or none, right? Oh and we don't plan on saving the top tier. I'd rather just eat it on our wedding day or soon thereafter. Thanks!!
    We're doing a 2 tier cutting cake in 2 flavors, a couple sheet cakes, and then mini desserts as well.  If the cake does not get eaten, I will eat cake for breakfast for the next week (or however long it's good for).  

If all you're doing is the cake and cupcakes, then yeah, it's a bit odd.  Switch to a one tier cutting cake with cupcakes, or do the sheet cakes instead of the cupcakes.  I personally would do the former as at least with my baker, cupcakes are cheaper than the per person slice cost of cake.  A lot of people won't eat the whole slice anyway.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I guess I am the only one that doesn't care if you have a 2-tiered cutting cake (remember just because it is 2-tiered doesn't necessarily mean that it is a large, normal size wedding cake...these cutting cakes can be small like a 6 inch with a 4 inch on top) and cupcakes as a supplement.  As long as they are all the same flavors or at least equal in quality with a variety of flavors then I don't care if I get a slice cake vs a cupcake.  As long as I get cake in some form I am happy.

• IMO - have the cupcakes for later in the evening and as a "favor" or snack type thing where guests can take one home with them. 

There is NOTHING worse IMO of going to a wedding and some guests get served one size portion of cake (or anything for that matter), and others another.  I remember being at one where the guest next to me got a four-layer slice of cake with raspberry and lemon as the fillings that was 1x3x5 size slice...  And the wait-staff put a 1 1/2x1 1/2x 1 1/2 piece of unfilled sheet cake in front of myself, and the person next to me takes one bite, and says "I don't really care much for cake"...  Personally, I'd rather have a slice of cake as "dessert" then cupcakes as a snack later than the other way around... 

• DMsdbrideDMsdbride member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2015
    I should have put some more details about what I envisioned :)

Like Maggie0829 mentioned (which I didn't), the two tier cake would be a small cutting cake (the baker said 8 inch bottom and 6 inch top) or like Jacques said, an 8 inch round one layer cake.

I agree, I would never serve some people cake and some people cupcakes. Either everyone gets cake or everyone gets cupcakes. Regardless, cake/cupcakes would all come from the same place as to not sacrifice quality.

We considered sheet cakes. It's not really so much about the price, its more about "if I have leftovers, would I rather eat cake or cupcakes?"

I've seen a lot of set ups where the small cutting cake is in the center and the cupcakes are set up around it and it looks really cute.

I guess I just wondered, if we went that route, after we cut the cake, it basically gets boxed up and everyone gets cupcakes..which is totally fine!

Thanks for your input everyone!
  • I should have put some more details about what I envisioned :) Like Maggie0829 mentioned (which I didn't), the two tier cake would be a small cutting cake (the baker said 8 inch bottom and 6 inch top) or like Jacques said, an 8 inch round one layer cake. I agree, I would never serve some people cake and some people cupcakes. Either everyone gets cake or everyone gets cupcakes. Regardless, cake/cupcakes would all come from the same place as to not sacrifice quality. We considered sheet cakes. It's not really so much about the price, its more about "if I have leftovers, would I rather eat cake or cupcakes?" I've seen a lot of set ups where the small cutting cake is in the center and the cupcakes are set up around it and it looks really cute. I guess I just wondered, if we went that route, after we cut the cake, it basically gets boxed up and everyone gets cupcakes..which is totally fine! Thanks for your input everyone!
    This is exactly what we did.  We cut the small cake for the tradition and then everyone just ate the cupcakes.  For the small cake I took it home, sliced it up, wrapped each slice in plastic and placed in a freezer bag and frozen.  Then when we were in the mood for some cake we took a slice out of the freezer in the morning and enjoyed it for dessert at night.

• I should have put some more details about what I envisioned :)

Like Maggie0829 mentioned (which I didn't), the two tier cake would be a small cutting cake (the baker said 8 inch bottom and 6 inch top) or like Jacques said, an 8 inch round one layer cake.

I agree, I would never serve some people cake and some people cupcakes. Either everyone gets cake or everyone gets cupcakes. Regardless, cake/cupcakes would all come from the same place as to not sacrifice quality.

We considered sheet cakes. It's not really so much about the price, its more about "if I have leftovers, would I rather eat cake or cupcakes?"

I've seen a lot of set ups where the small cutting cake is in the center and the cupcakes are set up around it and it looks really cute.

I guess I just wondered, if we went that route, after we cut the cake, it basically gets boxed up and everyone gets cupcakes
    ..which is totally fine!

Thanks for your input everyone!

This is exactly what we did.  We cut the small cake for the tradition and then everyone just ate the cupcakes.  For the small cake I took it home, sliced it up, wrapped each slice in plastic and placed in a freezer bag and frozen.  Then when we were in the mood for some cake we took a slice out of the freezer in the morning and enjoyed it for dessert at night.

Sounds good to me!!! Thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards