Wedding Reception Forum

Visiting a venue for the first time

My FI and I are visiting our first venue on Wednesday (wee!) and I was wondering if anyone could offer advice on what to ask. I have a list of questions already regarding the deposit/payments and set-up/tear down and a few other things, but would like to be pretty prepared when we go.

Here is a link to the venue's website: http://www.oldblueroosterevents.com/

Thank you!

Re: Visiting a venue for the first time

• A big thing for me was set up and tear down but sounds like you have that covered. I'm super happy with my venue's policy of me bringing the stuff to the rehearsal and they will box it up for me after the wedding and I can go pick it up after the honeymoon. 

Ask about any additional taxes/fees they have. ie. our venue adds 20% gratuity automatically which personally I find kind of helpful but the shock factor of the initial price was a bit concerning until we realized what was happening. Also ours didn't but I've heard of places having fees for not using their preferred vendors. 

If you want to anything special ie. have a dog ring bearer or a sparkler sendoff or decorate with candles make sure that is ok with your venue. This might not be a first meeting question unless something like that is a deal breaker to you.

Find out max capacity but also it might be relevant to find out minimum capacity. Our venue required a minimum of 50 people. However unlike the max capacity (which is probably due to like fire code or something) the minimum might be flexible. I expressed concern saying we might only get 48 people so he dropped the minimum to 40 for us. 

This wasn't something I had asked at our first meeting but we just had our final planning meeting before the rehearsal and he told us that we could use their mirrors, votives, and table numbers if we wanted. I had already bought mirrors but gladly accepted his offer of the votives and table numbers. 2 less things to worry about. So see what things your venue might already have. He also said he has things like the cake cutting knife and special looking champagne glasses. 

Kind of playing on that last one is find out what they have for you for plates, table linens, etc... Even if their website says they only have white table linens it doesn't hurt to ask if they have others available for no charge, ours had white napkins for us to use even though the specifically stated on their website they only had white.

You can ask if they have preferred vendors or a list of vendors that work there frequently. Our DJ, Photographer, and Videographer have all worked together at our venue many times before and they say that help it run real smoothly.

Find out when they need final headcounts. Initially we were told 3 weeks out but then yesterday he told us just give him the definitely coming numbers at that point and we can add people up to a day before. 

Ask if they have a different pricing for vendors. Ours does not unfortunately but I've heard that many do. 

Don't just assuming that buffet will be cheaper. Ours wasn't because they said that they make more food for buffet.

Finally if it's a venue that typically does weddings see if they have a general flow for the event. I had some ideas in my head for when cake cutting, first dances, etc.. should be and when he went through how they typically do it, their way made way more sense! 

Sorry if this is a lot, it's kind of a compilation of things I've learned since picking our venue. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you so much! @engagedhamstermom

I will definitely add some questions about : min. capacity, policy on sparklers, extra taxes/fees, any décor they have available, and preferred vendors/outside vendor fees!

The venue we are considering does provide linens to rent through them, but you have to talk with them to get a quote, so I don't even have a ballpark number for it. I will ask them about that as well.

• aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2015
    First get a copy of the contract...go line by line. Flag anything you don't understand. Ask questions. (This does not have to be at the meeting, go home, read slowly, take your time.)

If you are serving alcohol ask about required security and if it included

Get information about extra time and associated cost. (Extra time before the ceremony to take pictures, or get dressed there, extra time for the reception etc.)

Check policies on decor. Ours required us to have any candles in glass containers and that we had to have them approved. (We are just doing LOTS of votives so we just sent the website of what we would buy to the venue and they approved them before I purchased.)

Check policy on wedding coordinator, be it full time or just day of. Our venue states, in their actual contract, that they are not allowed. Well I already had a full time one hired. I had that she was welcome anytime added to the contract.

Ask what their headcount limit is. THEN LOOK AROUND THE ROOM! Hopefully tables will be set up already. You can then see how many fit at each table and mentally add or subtract tables in your mind. If they are set up with 20 tables when you visit and you are thinking you might need 25 (depending on table size and number of people at each) but the room is already looking crowded that is a big red flag.  (Dont forget to think about extra tables like gift table, cake table, buffet, sign in etc)

Pay attention to temp. Now I do not know where you live but I am in Texas. It is hot. I wanted to know the AC situation, can we get it cold in here so when guests show up, that door starts swinging open and hot bodies fill this room it will not be a sweat box.

Preferred vendors: Are they required or just preferred? Some might be required others might not be. Example: My venue requires the bartenders be from one of 2 places but they don't care who my florist is.

Required Vendors: What happens if one of their required vendors will not get back to you / is a pain to work with. If you can prove they are being unresponsive can you switch to a different one. (We had to do this, since all communication was documented it was easy to show their required vendor was giving us the shaft so we got to get a new one not on their list.)

As far as linens go. My florist wanted over $400 to rent table cloths. I BOUGHT overlays for under half that. Now yes, they are overlays not full table cloths but our venue provides floor length cloths in a few colors, putting the overlay on top of that provides nice contrast and saved a bundle. Check things out like that before you sign anything.

Last piece of advice:

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING! Even if it is just an email. Venues have turn over, people get busy and forget what they told you, things happen. You will have a lot more luck if they start flip flopping if you have a documented email with a date and who it is from. That way you say, well you told me on X date that I could do this.
  • Thank you so much! I'm very excited to see the venue today and I am going to another one tomorrow. I'll def. be using this information! @aliwis000 @Jen4948

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards