Snarky Brides
Options

Being Snarky this morning. Wedding start times

Denise40Denise40 member
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited August 2015 in Snarky Brides

I've been sick all weekend and fiancé went back out of town after being home only 5 days. I'm looking at a Facebook Bride site and they were talking about start times.

These were some of the comments:

Mine doesnt start until 12.30. But i put on invites for guest to arive by 12

knowing people will be late Im putting 3pm for my 3.30 wedding figured better to be safe.

My wedding is at 3pm I will be at church around 3.10pm. I av put on my invites for people to come at 2.45pm :-) x

Edit for Paragraphs

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Being Snarky this morning. Wedding start times

• Options
    Oh haha. My wedding starts at 4pm, and I put 4pm on the invitations. I think people start to arrive up to 30 min before the time you put on an invitation. I would be so pissed off waiting an hour (or more) for a ceremony to start (unless there was some sort of unavoidable emergency situation).

I love looking at people's wedding websites too!! Very entertaining. :smile:

I hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    Ughhhhh.....so everyone with any time management skill shows up 45 minutes early and has to sit (possibly in uncomfortable wooden pews) around waiting for you?

I'd laugh if I didn't have to put up with it enough times in the past to just be annoyed all over again. :/ 
  • Options
    It's crazy. I told them that it's wrong to make their guests late and them knowingly are being late! They told me it's their day! Whatever
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    That is so rude. I usually show up early anyway. If I showed up early for your early start time, I'd be super pissed. What's wrong with people?

Can someone provide the link to this site? I've seen/read so many stupid things from there that I'm really curious to see it myself now. I searched under FB brides, but all I came up with was Bride Magazine's FB page and numerous bridal stores/products. Where are all these scary brides posting?
  • Options
    This is one of them. It's a closed group so you have to send a request to join TRACY'S BRIDE 2B POSITIVE IDEAS & DISCUSSION GRoup. I can't get the link. @snowywinter
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Denise40 said:

It's crazy. I told them that it's wrong to make their guests late and them knowingly are being late! They told me it's their day!

Whatever

------------------------------------------

Good for you for telling them the correct thing to do!! I hate how people think it's fine to inconvenience everyone else on "their" day.

Hopefully their guests see their posts and will show up at the true ceremony time.

• Options
    Denise40 said:
    This is one of them. It's a closed group so you have to send a request to join TRACY'S BRIDE 2B POSITIVE IDEAS & DISCUSSION GRoup. I can't get the link. @snowywinter
    Thank you for the info!!
  • Options
    The last wedding I attended, the bridal party was told at rehearsal, "Your ceremony is at 3pm. Everyone must be here by 2." Mom of the bride and one guest were there at 2. Musicians were in place. By 2:45, two members of the bridal party were there. No bride or groom. By 2:55, groom and his mom and most of the party were there. Influx of guests. Priest and deacon vested. Bride there, but out of sight. Procession began at 3:04, still minus one couple who were supposed to do a presentation during the ceremony. Didn't matter. They showed up half an hour later, just in time for their part. The invitations said 3pm.
  • Options
    Punctuality and lack thereof drives me insane!

DH wanted to do this for our ceremony and I said absolutely not for the reasons stated above-- most people would be early and we weren't catering to people who can't get their shit together. 

On our wedding website, I put "Ceremony- 6 pm Cocktail Hour 6:30 pm Dinner 7:30pm."
    I also put something like, "The venue is approximately a 10 minute cab from the train stations or a 20 minute bus ride."  In my head, putting the whole schedule on the website made it clearer that the night was sequenced and we had no intention of starting late. 

I think only two families were actually late for the ceremony. That's on them and I didn't trouble myself with it in the slightest. 

• Options
    thisismynickname I think that is smart putting what time everything starts. I think I'll at least add what time dinner is to our wedding website. While 6:30 isn't crazy late for dinner it might be on the later side to the older crowd and that way they can plan ahead. Also in case someone has to miss the ceremony they know what time to show up to get fed!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is so crazy. I'm a late person, I have a terrible time showing up right at the time I'm supposed to most of the time. Usually it's 5 - 10 minutes but it took forever for H to learn that when I said I'd be over "between 1 and 2" I would show up at 2. 

BUT I make an exception for weddings. I plan to be there 15 minutes early and leave myself plenty of time for traffic because coming in late is so awkward. And I would be mortified if someone delayed their wedding just because I can't gauge traffic accordingly. It's so inconvenient to everyone else when you do that. I just don't get it.
  • Options
    For ours, I put on the invites "Ceremony at 3pm, Cocktails at 3;30, Dinner at 5pm"

It worked. Our ceremony was short - 12mins from all walk in to all walk out - so gave us some time to say hi to people before pictures and get some really great candid ones as well.
  • Options
    So I hate being late, and I would never be late to a wedding. But this can also be a cultural thing.

I once had a friend who told me she always puts her times an hour earlier because in her culture everyone is an hour late. I remember going to her baby shower at 3:00pm and I was the only one there. Around 45-1hour everyone else showed up. This was hispanic culture btw.

Also, apparently some islands like Hawaii are on "island time" so my planner told me she tells native vendors various other times to accommodate for this.
  • Options
    So I hate being late, and I would never be late to a wedding. But this can also be a cultural thing.

I once had a friend who told me she always puts her times an hour earlier because in her culture everyone is an hour late. I remember going to her baby shower at 3:00pm and I was the only one there. Around 45-1hour everyone else showed up. This was hispanic culture btw.

Also, apparently some islands like Hawaii are on "island time" so my planner told me she tells native vendors various other times to accommodate for this.
    I disagree with doing this. I show up on time, so why am I forced to wait around on others that decide to be late? Start the event on time, and if people arrive late then I'm sorry the time was clearly stated. I would be understanding if it was something out of their hands, but that still wouldn't mean I would hold up all of my other guests that were on time for it. Unless the bus transporting a majority of my guests is late to drop off, I'm starting on time. 

If you friend was my friend I'd be showing up an hour and a half before the wedding actually started and sitting around. At some point I am going to start wondering who isn't ready to get married and having to have a talk in the back.
  • Options
    This happened to us over the weekend! Invitations said 2:30, black-tie optional... We were confused by it being so early and formal, but whatever. 

We showed up around 2:00, and it turns out it was outside (there had never been an indication of it being outdoors, even when we discussed the wedding for 2 hours with the B&G that week) with no shade (90+ degrees)...  Program fans said 3:30 (which were not passed out until 3:25)...We waited for the ceremony to start, which actually didn't happen until 3:45.  After being out in the baking sun for 2+ hours, we were allowed to remain outside on a patio with fruit passed around until dinner another 2 hours later....

To ice the cake, bride told us drunkenly later that night that it was because her family is perpetually late.... a smelly suit and a blistered sunburn later, we were beyond irritated...
  • Options
    This happened to us over the weekend! Invitations said 2:30, black-tie optional... We were confused by it being so early and formal, but whatever. 

We showed up around 2:00, and it turns out it was outside (there had never been an indication of it being outdoors, even when we discussed the wedding for 2 hours with the B&G that week) with no shade (90+ degrees)...  Program fans said 3:30 (which were not passed out until 3:25)...We waited for the ceremony to start, which actually didn't happen until 3:45.  After being out in the baking sun for 2+ hours, we were allowed to remain outside on a patio with fruit passed around until dinner another 2 hours later....

To ice the cake, bride told us drunkenly later that night that it was because her family is perpetually late.... a smelly suit and a blistered sunburn later, we were beyond irritated...
    I would have left...  not even kidding.
  • Options

That's bs! I would have left a long time before then. What are these brides thinking??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I am Hispanic and I don't like to be late, many of our family members are the same way. In fact, some family members are insanely early.

Interestingly my FH is Italian and always late.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Denise40 said:

That's bs! I would have left a long time before then. What are these brides thinking??
    Yep.  If the invitation said 2:30, I'm gone at 3pm.  And even if I do end up staying for the ceremony, I'm definitely not sticking around outside for another two hours.
  • Options
    You know what I don't get about people who use the cultural excuse for being late?

"Oh, the invite says 3pm? That means 4pm." So what, when people see 3pm come and go they don't worry, because they know that time really meant 4? That doesn't incentivize people to show up at the published time, ever. 

Logic??

Years back I had a coworker that was always late and when I called him on it (I was a Team Lead) he replied, no joke, "Well, I'm Greek." And????

• Options
    You know what I don't get about people who use the cultural excuse for being late?

"Oh, the invite says 3pm? That means 4pm." So what, when people see 3pm come and go they don't worry, because they know that time really meant 4? That doesn't incentivize people to show up at the published time, ever. 

Logic??

Years back I had a coworker that was always late and when I called him on it (I was a Team Lead) he replied, no joke, "Well, I'm Greek." And????

It is so weird when people are racist, sexists, etc. to themselves. I never know how to feel. I was on the phone with a customer and said did you forward that email? HIs response- "of course not. I'm a man. I can only do one thing at once".    OK

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards