Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Am I overstepping some boundaries with parent gifts?

For the last several weeks I've been looking everywhere for some small sentimental gifts for our parents for the wedding. I finally found stuff that I think they'd all like. For example for my FMIL who loves bracelets I found one that I thought she'd really like and on the inside it has the option to engrave it and I was going to have it say something like "Thank you for raising the man of my dreams, love your new daughter" and for my dad who always has a hankie I found a site that will embroider a personal message to him so I had one typed out saying how much he means to me. So anyways it's stuff like that for each of our parents and i was planning on writing a letter with my FI to each of them as well as a thank you. 

Well I was showing my fiance what I found to see what his thoughts were and he got kind of upset and said he didn't know we were supposed to get them stuff and that there was no way he could compete with my thoughtful gifts. I'm not sure why he's surprised I've been asking him for ideas while looking but I guess he didn't understand what I was asking and that's probably why I've gotten no feedback from him. I really felt like I stepped over a boundary with him. Then he was saying the gift should be from both of us and I realized he's totally right and my gifts were very one sided. So I told him that was fine and I didn't mind changing the wording on all of it so that it's from both of us but then he was upset with that and is now saying no get your gifts and I'll just add a gift card or something. 

So was I in the wrong? Should I still order the gifts but change the messages or should I just order them as is and let him add a gift card or do whatever he wants?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Am I overstepping some boundaries with parent gifts?

• Options
    What about giving these presents just from you to your Dad and FMIL outside of the wedding events?

I think your FI is thinking of the gifts to the parents the wrong way. This isn't a competition, and his gifts shouldn't be "better" than yours.

I think giving joint gifts is the way to go here. A card from both of you. A wedding album after your day, etc.

• Options
    I do agree with your FI that the gifts you picked out were definitely one sided and didn't include him at all.  So I think it would be best for you to buy gifts for your parents and let your FI buy gifts for his parents.  Since basically gifts for parents is a way to thank them for being  your parents and for raising you.

And to be honest, I am not a fan of that engraving for the bracelet.  Just seems a bit cheesy to me.

• Options
    Think outside of pinterest. 

• Options
    For the last several weeks I've been looking everywhere for some small sentimental gifts for our parents for the wedding. I finally found stuff that I think they'd all like. For example for my FMIL who loves bracelets I found one that I thought she'd really like and on the inside it has the option to engrave it and I was going to have it say something like "Thank you for raising the man of my dreams, love your new daughter" and for my dad who always has a hankie I found a site that will embroider a personal message to him so I had one typed out saying how much he means to me. So anyways it's stuff like that for each of our parents and i was planning on writing a letter with my FI to each of them as well as a thank you. 

Well I was showing my fiance what I found to see what his thoughts were and he got kind of upset and said he didn't know we were supposed to get them stuff and that there was no way he could compete with my thoughtful gifts. I'm not sure why he's surprised I've been asking him for ideas while looking but I guess he didn't understand what I was asking and that's probably why I've gotten no feedback from him. I really felt like I stepped over a boundary with him. Then he was saying the gift should be from both of us and I realized he's totally right and my gifts were very one sided. So I told him that was fine and I didn't mind changing the wording on all of it so that it's from both of us but then he was upset with that and is now saying no get your gifts and I'll just add a gift card or something. 

So was I in the wrong? Should I still order the gifts but change the messages or should I just order them as is and let him add a gift card or do whatever he wants?
    I feel very strongly that you should NOT get them separate gifts.  You two are coming together as a married couple, you're a unit.  Why would you give them each a separate gift?  Either he buys for his parents and you buy for yours, or you buy and select joint gifts.  He can get them giftcards at Christmas.  Your wedding should be the ONE time you guys show up as a team.
  • Options
    lnixon8 said:
    Think outside of pinterest. 
    I honestly didn't use pinterest for the gifts, I spent weeks finding things I thought they would love. Maybe the message on the bracelet was a bit cheesy, but it is on the inside so it's not like anyone but her would be reading it. 

I agreed with him that they were one sided, I guess I got tunnel vision. I'm thinking now that I might keep the ideas for my mom and dad and just give those to them privately in the bridal suite while I'm getting dressed more as a thank you for raising me. He can decide if he wants to do something similar for his parents. I think I'll mention to my FI the idea of giving them a letter on the day of the wedding and photo-books when we get our photos back. Maybe we'll do nice photo frames for them day of too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just fyi, that saying is cheesy, but if I gave something like that to FI's mom she would LOVE IT.  She loves stuff like that.  It's definitely a "know your recipient" sort of gift.
    Yea I agree with the "know your recipient", I do love cheesy stuff like that too and my FMIL is definitely someone who I think would appreciate it too.

My FI loves the wedding album idea so we're going to go that route and I'm going to give my parents gifts personally. I think I'm going to keep the gifts for FMIL and FFIL for their birthday's or maybe next mother's/father's day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards