Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

I want longer hair for wedding

I typically get a trim once every three months to keep my hair long but healthy. 

Right now my hair length is just above my boobs... I'm getting married next October and really want to have a few more inches so that I can rock the long, wavy hair look. My friend who just got married had her hair down the way I'm planning, and it looked long and lovely. She said she didn't get a haircut for the year leading up to her wedding and I'm wondering if I should do the same. My hair doesn't really grow fast.

What did you do for your long hair look?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: I want longer hair for wedding

• Options
    I grew my hair pretty long for my wedding. Skipping trims would have had me with tons of split ends. I didn't trim my hair as much as I regularly do, but I still trimmed it often. 
  • Options
    Pre-natal vitamins or biotin can help hair grow faster as well.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Definitely agree with prenatal vitamins.  I wouldn't wait an year because the longer you wait between cuts, the worse any split ends will get which will  just mean that you will need to have more taken off to get rid of the split ends.  I can't go very long between cuts for that reason- hate dry split ends! 
  • Options
    Everyone's hair is different, but mine gets mad if I don't trim it. The less I trim it, the less it grows and the more split ends I have. I get a teeny tiny trim every nine weeks and my hair's been steadily growing and is below my waist. 

I agree with PP's suggestion of biotin or prenatals. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I agree with other PP's. Definitely take vitamins. I wouldn't get a trim every six weeks, but I also wouldn't wait a whole year either. I think I went about every 2-3 months leading up to my wedding.
  • Options
    Would you consider extensions? I think that'll be a good option.
  • Options

Last November I cut my 19" hair to an angled bob! Now I'm getting married & I want my hair back!! It's grown about 4 inches since last year! I get trims every 3months and have already ordered my extensions because it won't be that long! I bought mine from bellami hair extensions

• Options
    I have worn hair extensions I got mine from Sally's they were about 100 or so. I recommend having a friend who is a stylist help color them/cut them a bit to help look more natural but I used mine everyday for about a year (with washing them) and they held up really well and no one ever knew I wore them its was just instant hair :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Vitamins and plenty of water will do you good. I have to warn you that prenatals WILL make you sick if you don't eat enough with them. I'm taking them as well for hair growth and often miss a day because I'm afraid I didn't eat enough in a meal to take one. Also, hair growth is hair growth.. so expect your leg/arm/pit hair to grow too!
  • Options
    Do at least monthly trims.

• Options
    Find a nice salon in your area that does extensions.  
  • Options

I have been treating my hair with lots of conditioning treatments, argan oils, etc. I also ahve jsut been getting mnimal dry trims bc my hair splits and it won't help me to not get it cut. I am also using any christmas gift money I get to splurge and buy a set of Bellami hair extensions. I am decently happy with my length but I have no thickness whatsoever and im sure the few extra inches will look nice with the hairstyle I have picked!

My suggestion - consult with your hairdresser or any hairdresser really, especially if you are having someone do you hair for you, they would be the best to discuss this with as far as any treatments and cutting/not cutting your hair.

• Options
    Agreed on the prenatal vitamins, your nails and hair will grow faster. 

I had a talk with my hairdresser about this. Our engagement is not super long so I do not have even a full year to grow mine out. I have actually increased my color appointments to every six weeks (damn little grays and my dark hair), but it's been probably five months since we cut it. She looked at it last week and said she would just trim my bangs and thin my hair because the hair all looked really healthy still, no split ends. If it starts to get split ends obviously we need to trim it. It is probably different for different people but I expect I'll get to month six and a half before it needs a cut, and then will have another couple months to the wedding. Even with all this uninterrupted growing I do wonder if I'll need to get some extensions for the look I want. 

I think it's different for different people. I probably would not just flat out skip all hair appointments for a year because it will probably get shaggy, but take stock of it every month ago to check for split ends. 
  • Options
    I'm growing my hair out for the wedding (but will probably get it cut based on what works best for the style I go with) With long hair, I find I keep getting tangles very easily and with my hair getting stuck under the strap of my purse, my ends are taking a real beating.  I decided to try and find a product to repair the damage and came across L'oreal Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm, and also L'oreal total repair extreme split ends fixer serum.  I've used it twice so far but after the first use, my ends felt silky and the split ends were less noticeable.  Still going to get my regular trims, but this is definitely a nice addition to keep the ends healthy.  
  • Options
    Hair cut every other color, then a partial ream of extensions (about same length of hair, but added fullness). Had them fused in since it was less expensive. I had some breakage getting them out, but it wasn't terrible. Worth it because otherwise, when I had my hair in front over one shoulder, there was very little in the back--just straggly pieces. I have long hair but it's fine. Had fantastic hair at wedding.
  • Options
    Do you blow dry (or flat iron) your hair regularly? If not, I think you'd be able to get fewer trims. I periodically search my hair for split ends and trim them myself, and my hair is soft and healthy for several months at a time. If you use heat on your hair regularly though, you'll probably have to use extensions (or deal with split ends). 
  • Options
    Coconut oil for the win! I use it for EVERYTHING. Cooking, body and face, hair, and a daily supplement. Not only is it super nourishing with healthy fats, it also has antibacterial properties. So for hair growth (I swear, my hair was thin and dry and terrible and it is amazing now) I take 3 coconut oil capsules a day - you can just eat the coconut oil in its natural state but I like the capsules better - and I do a coconut oil hair mask once a week. It clears up your scalp with the antibacterial properties to allow for growth, and the fatty oils nourish the hair. Plus - it's like a keratin treatment after I do it - smooth and shiny as hell. I am OBSESSED with it. I also use it on my face and eyes as my moisturizer and have gotten compliments on how long my eyelashes have gotten. I got all my friends hooked on it. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Options
    Refrain from using hot tools on your hair too, to prevent the ends from drying. I've been growing mine out since Nov 2013 and I've been using kerastase initialiste treatments on both my scalp and ends and really minimalizing how much I blow dry/flat iron my hair. Since then, I've only gotten my hair trimmed once and it is shiny and has grown quite a bit. Though, I should probably try the trimming a bit more than I am. I've also been drinking tons of water every day.
  • Options
    I didn't read everything so someone may have already mentioned this, but if you don't want all the extras in pre-natal vitamins, GNC sells a "Hair & Nails" vitamin that totally worked for me. 

Also, the sock bun. To try and prevent split ends, at least a few days a week after I get out of the shower I slather up my hair ends with an oil and then put my hair up in a sock bun so you can't see the ends, and they're protected from sun, snags, etc. And the sock bun is totally work appropriate and looks somewhat polished. I don't use an actual sock, I use one of the spongey things that you can buy at H&M right next to the cashier. I have 4 of them in two different sizes. 
  • Options
    @cjr3561 can you share your coconut oil hair mask?? Do you just use straight coconut oil or is it a specific brand? I have been interested to try coconut oil in my hair as I had heard it was great but I had not taken the plunge yet...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I very rarely use heat on my hair, and I use oil on my ends. I get a trim about 4-6 months. My hair never grows and its grown like crazy in the past year just from applying no heat. I'm thinking of going to get a trim in the next few weeks, my wedding is in May and I'd like it to grow a bit more. I'm still wearing extensions cause my hair is thin. I have a few split ends but for the most part my hair is pretty good and it's been quite a bit since I got a trim.
  • Options
    @714hbbride I use just straight coconut oil. There are many different brands, look for one that is organic, unrefined and cold pressed.. as natural as it gets :) I take a few spoonfuls, heat it in a bowl in the microwave then slather it on - scalp and ends. I turn my head upside down and do a scalp massage too to get the blood flowing and really let it do it's thing. I'll usually do this on a day I'm cleaning my apartment - I leave it for a few hours then do a good shampoo and conditioner. It's lovely.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Options
    I got engaged in Dec 2013 and my wedding is May 2015. I have been growing my hair out ever since. I got a trim in Feb 2014 and Oct 2014 and don't plan on getting it trimmed again until the wedding day. I use an argan oil in the ends pretty much every day and only wash my hair twice a week and I have found this really helps with not getting split ends. In the end everyone's hair is different though!
  • Options
    Crunchy Betty has a good tutorial on hot oil treatments, including how to infuse oil with things like peppermint or ginger that stimulate the scalp:

http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-secrets-to-a-phenomenal-hot-oil-hair-treatment-part-1-creating
    http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-secrets-to-a-phenomenal-hot-oil-hair-treatment-part-2-indulging
  • Options
    cjr3561 said:

Coconut oil for the win! I use it for EVERYTHING. Cooking, body and face, hair, and a daily supplement. Not only is it super nourishing with healthy fats, it also has antibacterial properties. So for hair growth (I swear, my hair was thin and dry and terrible and it is amazing now) I take 3 coconut oil capsules a day - you can just eat the coconut oil in its natural state but I like the capsules better - and I do a coconut oil hair mask once a week. It clears up your scalp with the antibacterial properties to allow for growth, and the fatty oils nourish the hair. Plus - it's like a keratin treatment after I do it - smooth and shiny as hell. I am OBSESSED with it. I also use it on my face and eyes as my moisturizer and have gotten compliments on how long my eyelashes have gotten. I got all my friends hooked on it. :)

CJR3561, do you buy regular coconut oil that you find in the supermarket? And you just apply it to your face like you would a moisturiser? I've heard great things recently about coconut oil, which is why I'm asking. It's something I was thinking of trying. 
  • Options
    pennydl said:

cjr3561 said:

CJR3561, do you buy regular coconut oil that you find in the supermarket? And you just apply it to your face like you would a moisturiser? I've heard great things recently about coconut oil, which is why I'm asking. It's something I was thinking of trying. 
    I know I'm not CJR, but you can buy liquid coconut oil for anything you'd apply it to (face, hair, etc). I may also add that another thing that can help soften your hair is using a clarifying shampoo. I use one from nutragena once a week and my hair has never been softer (this is really only good if you use a lot of product though, product means buildup and the clarifying shampoo strips the product off). If you are eating the coconut oil I'd suggest going with one that is in a solid state natrually and using heat if you need it liquid. 
  • Options
    I take Biotin supplements and they help. I also have been trying to avoid hot tools and teasing for the months leading up to my wedding. Coconut oil and natural hair care products are ideal. Additionally, frequent scalp massages can also help with growing your hair out.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    If you're willing to pay for quality extensions this is a great way to go and it eliminates the need to stress over your hair growing well in a relatively short span of time. 

I've got thin hair that really won't grow longer than just past my shoulders without looking raggedy (I've tried prenals and biotin and just about every hair vitamin there is) so I own a set of clip in extensions (Head Kandy brand) and a set of tape in extensions (Hotheads brand). I've worn both types to weddings I've been a BM in and already have my hotheads in for my wedding this Saturday (they stay in 8-10 weeks each time you put them in). Clip ins run around $130 and tape ins around $450. 

Extensions can be colored to match your hair or you can buy them colored then have a stylist trim them to look natural. 
  • Options
    Vitamins. Also, talk to your stylist about how long you can go between trims without damaging your hair. If he or she says three months is max, I'd stick with their expertise.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards