Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How to direct the photographer?

I have to be honest, I'm regretting my photographer decision. We were in a rush to book all of vendors because we had a shorter engagement and at the time I was gung ho on staying within budget, which eventually went out the window (long story). We ended with the first photographer we met with because we loved her personality an she cost $1500 less than the other quotes. Here's my issue- all of engagement photos are cheesy poses of FI behind me with his arms wrapped around me, him awkwardly dipping me (doesn't work), and us awkwardly kissing. At the time I was 25 lbs heavier than FI. She made no attempt to pose us in a way that flattered our body types . Granted I've lost 15 lbs since the photos were taken, so our size difference will not be as pronounced, but I feel like a good photographer would take note of our body types and try to flatter both of us. For those in wedding photography, do you have any advice on what sort of directions to give her when we chat with her next week? It feels awkward telling her what to do, but I just was not happy with our E-pics. I'm deathly afraid I will end up hating my wedding pictures. My dress is a lace sheath, so I think having me tilt in and hold my bouquet in front of my pooch with help with formal pics? Any other guidance you can offer?

Re: How to direct the photographer?

• If there are any at all of your engagement pictures that you like, show her those and explain why you like them.  Maybe you prefer one side profile  as compared to the other.  Let her know.  If you have photos of yourself where you are posed a certain way from years past and you just love the way you are posed, suggest something similar.  Suggest no photos be taken from beneath you.  Practice posing in front of a mirror, or have a friend take a few photos of you guys in different poses that are more comfortable.  Just be open with your photographer about what you are/aren't comfortable with.  Please let her know.  Also you may find yourself so caught up in the emotions of your special day that your photographer is able to capture candids of the two of you that don't look quite so posed and stiff.  You are absolutely right that a good photographer should be able to make your body types work in the best way possible.  However if you can't get out of your contract, then consider some of the things listed above.  Hope this helps!
  • Try to get out of contract & find a new photographer. A good photographer won't need instruction from you. They only need to know what special groupings you want (like shots with Grandparents, parents, siblings etc)
  • Tell her you're unhappy and ask for a reshoot.  She shouldn't charge you.  If she doesn't, find a new photographer.  If she does and you're still not happy, find a new photographer.  It may cost you money in the short run, but that money will seem like nothing 5, 10, 20 years from now when you're looking back on your photos with regret.
  • There's no need to give instructions to the photographer. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards