Wedding Etiquette Forum

Tacky wedding

DH, DD and I attended his friends wedding where he was best man. I had posted previously about the etiquette blunders and how I tried to get out of going. I relented for DHs sake. I'm glad I went for DH, but to be honest none of it was worth it.

-There WAS an open bar. This was nice. I consumed about six beers, so I had a wonderful buzz going on. Which made life tolerable.
-There was NOT air conditioning at the venue, which was a rustic barn with ceiling fans. Given the fact this was also in Texas, we were all dying from the humidity.
-The bride and groom were continually behind schedule. The wedding started 40min late.
-the cake was pretty bad. It was cheesecake but they left it sitting out in the heat so by the time it was served it was just...no Bueno.
- Bride did a dollar dance. DJ then called out the men who didn't dance (my husband being one of them). My husband then danced with her but didn't give her any money (as he only had his debit on him). Being the goof ball he is, after the DJ called him out he asked the groom if he had cash on him to pay his wife (HAHAHAHAHA).
-Everything from Pinterest and Etsy was there.

I guess I just don't understand why people have weddings in the summer, in the south with no AC in a semi outdoors venue. That was really my only legitimate complaint. Everyone was coated in sweat.

The bride and groom were nice enough to rent a house for the weekend with multiple bedrooms and allow us to stay. They coordinated which bedroom everyone would have. They gave us the smallest room. Which is get, the Bridal party/family is more important. But we were crammed in a room with DDs pack and play. Thursday night the bride and groom had sex (which woke me up in the middle of the night).

All in all; next time DHs BFF has a wedding (especially a PPD wedding) I am going to opt out. It wasn't worth the 7 and a half hour drive, the three night stay cramped in or the heat.

Re: Tacky wedding

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    One of our few relatives who actually attended DD's wedding asked us up front, "Is any part of this wedding going to be outdoors?"  When we told him, no, and it's all air-conditioned, he said "Well, I guess we'll come then."   It sounds like they had a similar experience at another wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I don't get why they'd have a semi outdoor venue w/o AC  That's brutal.

It stinks that you were stuck in a small room, but you could've found accommodations  on your own, so you would have a choice in the matter.   Who cares that you heard them having sex?
  • I don't get why they'd have a semi outdoor venue w/o AC  That's brutal.

It stinks that you were stuck in a small room, but you could've found accommodations  on your own, so you would have a choice in the matter.   Who cares that you heard them having sex?

True. We should have opted out and got the hotel an hour away the second we saw the room. Lesson learned.

Oh please. It woke me up at 1am so I can snark on the fact I heard them. They can have sex all they want but when it comes with loud moaning that's something that could have been toned down a notch.
  •  I'd be totally creeped out if I was made an unwitting voyeur for a friend...I couldn't imagine their parents or siblings hearing the same thing.
    Gah!! I imagine if one room heard it, then a few more did too ;)
  • The dollar dance is pretty tacky. The lack of A/C, running behind schedule, and cheesecake left out in the heat isn't really tacky, it's just poor planning and a touch of stupidity on their part ;)

Though a "touch" may be a little too generous of me to say!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    SP29 said:
     I'd be totally creeped out if I was made an unwitting voyeur for a friend...I couldn't imagine their parents or siblings hearing the same thing.
    Gah!! I imagine if one room heard it, then a few more did too ;).

Breakfast the next day must have been so awkward, lol.

• MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015

Granted, after the incident with my college roommate doing the deed in our dorm room, I now have the pair to go ahead with the bang on the wall or otherwise no fear about embarrassing the crap out of someone doing the deed at the wrong time/location in some form...  I know, it's morbid at the time, but really, that's disrespect for every person in that house!  Calling them on it in the moment - totally o.k. - there are some things you just don't do when the walls are paper thin!!!

Who cares that you heard them having sex?
    They can have sex all they want but when it comes with loud moaning that's something that could have been toned down a notch.
    O.k. to add to this - when you have a kid with you - it becomes especially an issue as they get older they can hear the sounds too - depending on the age, that's one thing you never want to have to explain as a parent...  Just - NO!
  • DaytimeDivaDaytimeDiva member
    First Comment
    edited September 2015
    Yes, sounds pretty tacky. The thing that got me the most though is the DJ calling your husband out for not dancing and giving the bride money! But then again, I hate attention being drawn to me so maybe it's just me who would be super embarrassed (not about not having money but having everyones attention drawn to me for not paying the bride)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards