Honeymoon Discussions

Has anyone honeymooned in Victoria or Banff?

Looking for recommendations on a honeymoon to pretty much anywhere in Canada in May! I've heard great things about Victoria and Banff but am open to suggestions. Neither of us have been to Canada.

Re: Has anyone honeymooned in Victoria or Banff?

• Looking for recommendations on a honeymoon to pretty much anywhere in Canada in May! I've heard great things about Victoria and Banff but am open to suggestions. Neither of us have been to Canada.

What are you looking to do on your HM??  Banff is much more nature based, hiking, mountain climbing, skiing, white water rafting, camping, etc.  Victoria is a beautiful city, but much more city than Banff, obviously.  You can also travel around the rest of the Island.  Both are very touristy.  

Banff - You can also travel through the Rockies and up into Jasper, hitting the Columbia Icefields on the way.  

Victoria - You can travel the Island or hope over to Vancouver.  You can take the ferry (about a 90 min ride each way) so you could day trip Van. if you wanted to, or spend more time there.  Victoria is more old-wrold/British feeling, though I'm not sure if that's the best way to describe it.  You can also do some ocean sports, though you'll probably want wetsuits.  Lots of little restaurants and shops that are independent (Banff too, but much more kitschy/nature stuff)

• My honeymoon isn't in Banff, but that's where I got engaged (well Calgary, but we went to Banff the next day). I am biased. I loved the Rockies and if you are looking for something extravagant there's the hotel on Lake Louise that is definitely on my bucket list. We stayed in Canmore at the Georgetown Inn. It was one of the best trips of my life. Flew into Calgary, 2 nights there and got engaged, spent the next night in Canmore hiking, then went to Drumheller to look at dinosaurs and the badlands, back to Banff, then last day in Calgary. We got a little bit of everything. 

Banff was definitely pretty kitschy, but the scenery more than made up for it. I've never been to Victoria though. 

If you make it to Banff, check out Lake Louise and do the kayaking for the longest time (an hour?) and make the most of it. Then do the tea house hike and go to Little Beehive. That one morning was the best part of my trip. We stopped in at the tea house and had some tea and a sandwich and it was so incredibly relaxing. SO romantic. Just the 2 of us after some exercise just enjoying each other's company. Take me back there! 
  • No but I do love Victoria! Don't miss the Buchart Gardens, particularly if you are going in May. I have never been to Banff. Sounds lovely!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards