Attire & Accessories Forum

HELP! Bridesmaid dress conundrum.

One question I’ve been repeatedly throwing out there to people who may know is: My bridesmaids are located in PA, northern OH, TN, AR, and MS. They’re also different shapes and sizes from a 2-22. David’s Bridal discontinued the two teal colors I would have had trouble choosing between (of course). The only teal they have left is “oasis” and I think it might be a little too beachy-bright for an October evening affair. I really would like a darker teal, because I think it’s a stunning color. I feel a little stuck though because David’s is the only retailer I know of that caters to all sizes in all states. I know there are online options, but I personally would hate it if I was a bridesmaid and couldn’t try on my dress (this also might be a round-girl problem). I wouldn’t care if we found a teal cocktail dress in Macy’s or Nordstrom or a regular store, but the sizes are a problem there. 

So, is there another option for dresses that could potentially have a darker teal color that can cater to women in different states of varying sizes? Or, am I being crazy about the idea that “oasis” is too island-y? Is there any chance David's Bridal will come out with a darker teal around summer 2016 (my date is in October 2016)? Or, should I just go with a royal blue that would make everyone’s life easier? 

Note: The "peacock" color in David's bridal is incredibly drab, and although it is a dark blue with hints of green, it is what I consider to be a depressing and not-flattering color for pictures. :)

What do y'all think? 

Re: HELP! Bridesmaid dress conundrum.

• edited August 2015
    You could just tell them to find a dark teal dress that they like and feel pretty in wherever they would like.

Edited for autocorrect...

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Have you considered dresses that aren't labeled "bridesmaids" dresses? The first website that came to mind for me is Modcloth - I'm not sure how large their size range is but I know they have a larger range than some department stores. I know it's online shopping but they have easy returns if the dresses don't fit right, AND they have some pretty awesome, bold colors for dresses.

I'm not sure what your girls' budget is, but this is an example of a dress they would have on modcloth: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/with-style-and-lace-dress-in-teal, although I notice the size range on their doesn't go as high as some other dresses (some of them go to 3XL).

Hope this helps! I would look around at other chain stores that don't necessarily carry "bridesmaids" dresses.
  • One question I’ve been repeatedly throwing out there to people who may know is: My bridesmaids are located in PA, northern OH, TN, AR, and MS. They’re also different shapes and sizes from a 2-22. David’s Bridal discontinued the two teal colors I would have had trouble choosing between (of course). The only teal they have left is “oasis” and I think it might be a little too beachy-bright for an October evening affair. I really would like a darker teal, because I think it’s a stunning color. I feel a little stuck though because David’s is the only retailer I know of that caters to all sizes in all states. I know there are online options, but I personally would hate it if I was a bridesmaid and couldn’t try on my dress (this also might be a round-girl problem). I wouldn’t care if we found a teal cocktail dress in Macy’s or Nordstrom or a regular store, but the sizes are a problem there. 

So, is there another option for dresses that could potentially have a darker teal color that can cater to women in different states of varying sizes? Or, am I being crazy about the idea that “oasis” is too island-y? Is there any chance David's Bridal will come out with a darker teal around summer 2016 (my date is in October 2016)? Or, should I just go with a royal blue that would make everyone’s life easier? 

Note: The "peacock" color in David's bridal is incredibly drab, and although it is a dark blue with hints of green, it is what I consider to be a depressing and not-flattering color for pictures. :)

What do y'all think? 

Your wedding isn't until October 2016.  Do not worry about BM dresses until at least June 2016.  Let colors come and go from DB because you do not need to buy BM dresses yet!  You are stressing yourself out over nothing!  Any of your girls could become pregnant, have a child, or lose/gain a lot of weight.  Then what?  They are stuck with a dress that probably will not fit because the bride wanted the BMs to purchase their dress over a year in advance.

Now, when next year rolls around, around June, then start looking.

You can find any dress, from any BM designer (as long as it fits in your BMs budgets) and then give them the information.  They can then go to a local retailer of the dress to purchase it.

• Alfred Angelo also has stores around the country to go and try and dress on. Plus, as others have said, Iff you pick a designer they can look up bridal stores in their area that carry that brand.

2016? You are way ahead of yourself. A million things can change in the next year and change. Wait till next spring/summer and see what's available.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Thanks everyone! I'm not asking they buy a dress until summer 2016! I just want to research where to take our business that has a range of sizes and the color that I want. :)
  • primafaba15primafaba15 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2015
    I went with Alfred Angelo for BM dresses because we were in a similar situation (maids in MA, CA and VA with completely different shapes and sizes, and DB did not have a purple shade I could stomach). We were really happy with their selection of styles and colors (steer clear of the Disney Maids and go for something that uses their Dream in Color line, that was the best selection) and how the dresses turned out. I was lucky enough to get everyone in one place for dress shopping, by happy coincidence, and then AA was able to ship the actual dress orders to their individual stores around the country. And there was some kind of discount attached because all of us got our dresses there. 

I'll caveat that we ran into some customer service type issues at my local store when we got around to fittings (among other things, their seamstress had very very limited and inconvenient availability), so I'd recommend doing that elsewhere. But for buying the dresses AA worked well.

• i had the same issue and this is what i did. i took all my in state maids with me to the bridal salon where i got my dress ( local shop) i had them pick out some dresses and i selected some as well we did long and short dresses to try on. 

we tried on a bunch of dresses and narrowed it down. to a few styles then chose from there. my my maids ranged in size from 4-14 

we picked a color a style and fabric and then had my maids out of state go to a local shop and try the same dress on they were lucky enough that the shop they went to had them they got measured and then called it in to my shop to place the order

my shop gave them a 10% discount if they all ordered with them 

• adk19 said:

Go to a hardware store.  Go to the paint aisle.  Pick up a paint chip of the dress color you love.  Get one for each of your bridesmaids.  Mail them to your bridesmaids saying, "This is the color I'd like you to aim for when selecting a bridesmaid dress.  Pick whatever you love in a color similar to this."

^^^^THIS. It is soooo much nicer to allow your bridesmaids to pick something that suits their body type, and with that range in sizes it can be difficult to find all in one place. Also not having to buy it at a bridal shop increases the chances that they will find something that they will want to wear again, and in their price ranges. I told mine "pink-ish". The 3 that have been purchased so far are very different, but I think that will look beautiful together.
  • I would suggest picking a designer who has a color you like and seeing if they're willing to go try dresses on at a shop in their town that carries that designer.  Colors may change but I wouldn't wait until June 2016 if your wedding is October 2016....especially if you order from somewhere other than DB.  I ordered mine from a local shop at the beginning of March and while they came in early, they weren't quoted to be in until July for my October wedding. Give yourself at least 6-10 months.
  • primafaba15primafaba15 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2015
    Colors may change but I wouldn't wait until June 2016 if your wedding is October 2016....especially if you order from somewhere other than DB.  I ordered mine from a local shop at the beginning of March and while they came in early, they weren't quoted to be in until July for my October wedding. Give yourself at least 6-10 months.
    Actually I second giving yourself at least a little more time, for your BM's convenience if nothing else. We went to Alfred Angelo in October and their dresses came in by late December/early January. But my BMs were super busy (they are a political staffer, a lawyer and an ER nurse) and they really needed that extra time to get fittings into their schedule. AA was super difficult with their fitting times, which added to it, but that wasn't the only factor. In fact, the third BM's schedule ended up being so nuts this year that in the end by the time she could handle the fittings she was doing the final pick-up the actual morning of the wedding. 

So, you may or may not need 6-10 months (maybe call the stores you're considering now and ask them for timeline?), but I'd definitely give yourself a little wiggle room for your maids' sake! 
  • At 10 months a woman could get pregnant and have a child.  That is too far in advance for a BM dress.  That is more in line with a wedding dress production, not a BM dress production time frame.  And you do not have to get alterations done at the store you purchase the dress, in fact, it will probably be cheaper and more convenient to go to a local seamstress. 
  • FWIW my BM dresses were ordered in March and slated to be in by September, and now are not due to arrive until late October for my early November wedding. So while I agree right now is too early, I'd say 6-8 months is a safe bet just to put yourself at ease. You never know!

• Bridesmaids do not take that long at all.  Three months is what I have been told a lot.
  • I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where the party was all over the country. The bride picked a dress designer that is carried in a lot of bridal boutiques across the country. She picked the color and fabric, and let us pick the style of dress we wanted. She sent us each a list of a bunch of stores that were local to us that carried that designer, so we could go try on different styles before ordering if we wanted to.

Just an option other than David's or Alfred Angelo if you do want bridesmaid dresses. 

There are also some department store brands that sell the same dresses in regular and plus sizes--I know Nordstrom has a few, and a great free shipping/returns policy. Another option if you don't want traditional bridesmaid dresses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards