Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Hair and makeup timeline

Hi ladies! I've just gotten the itinerary from my salon for hair and makeup on the day-of (October) and am concerned about the timing being too long and too early in the morning.

I told the salon we need to leave NLT 12.30 for a 2.30pm ceremony and they have us scheduled from 8.15a to 11.45a. There's 8 people getting makeup and 6 getting hair done - me, both moms, and 5 bridesmaids (2 are doing their own hair). I'm concerned that the early people will need touchups before we even leave and that the work won't last for the girls done by 10am (it's a 5pm reception).

I voiced my concerns but was essentially told they couldn't change any of the timing because they had other appointments around 10am and would be too busy to start later. I had a backup option but am not sure if they're still available and it will cost me $200-300 more.

Is the timing reasonable? Should I worry about makeup 'melting' and hair frizzes? I'd love some advice!

Re: Hair and makeup timeline

• That timeline seems pretty normal.  And if the MUA and hairstylists are professionals and use the proper products then touch ups will not be necessary.  For my wedding I got my hair and makeup done at like 11am and my ceremony wasn't until 4:30.  I made sure not to rub my face but other then that it looked just as good after 5.5 hours as it did when I first got it done.  Same with my hair The only thing I touched up was my lipstick because I had eaten.

And for my friends wedding I was in 2 years ago, I was one of the first to get my makeup and hair done (probably around 8:30/9am) for her 4pm ceremony.  Everything stayed and I certainly didn't look like I was melting.

These people are professionals so trust their judgment.

Are you having multiple hair stylists and MUAs?  Because if not, then I am impressed that they are able to get that many people done in a little more then 3 hours.

• Yes, there's ultimately 7 people working on the 8 of us - some stylists will do both hair and makeup, other girls will have a stylist and different MUA.
  • So are you having a gap?
  • I wanted a 2 hour gap between the salon and ceremony for travel and getting dressed on-site 12.30-2.30). If we stick to their schedule, it will be from 11.45a-2.30p. Not a big difference, just a long wait for the girls finishing at 9.45a
  • I wanted a 2 hour gap between the salon and ceremony for travel and getting dressed on-site 12.30-2.30). If we stick to their schedule, it will be from 11.45a-2.30p. Not a big difference, just a long wait for the girls finishing at 9.45a
    I believe @aliwis000 was referencing your 2:30 ceremony and 5:00 reception. Unless your ceremony is two and a half hours long (or two hours long and half hour away from the reception venue), this isn't okay. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I am going to guess OP is going to use the "but I am having a Catholic wedding" excuse regarding her gap.

• For FSIL's wedding I got my make-up done at 9 or 10 AM and her ceremony didn't start until 6:30pm. It looked great all day and (because I am terrible and don't wash my face every night) was still looking decent the next morning.

For my sister's wedding I still had long hair and had curls put in, it lasted from 10am to 8ish without falling. After that with a lot of dancing some of the curls fell a bit, but we were very satisfied.

Moral of the story, if you trust your team, I think you'll be fine.

• Have everyone choose hairstyles that will hold up during the day and be preparted to need to touch up lipstick & probably a powder touch up too to reduce shine. But you would need to do that during the day no matter what time you get ready. Just remind everyone to wear button down shirts as to make it easier for getting changed. It will reduct the risk of messing up their hair and/or makeup. See if you can bring a tray of food for your wedding party. Like bagels, fruit, etc. Something that you can munch on while getting ready and while waiting. It will also help keep the hangries (hunger induces anger) and helps too if any pre-ceremony drinking is taking place.
  • @ShesSoCold and @aliwis000 - I misread about the gap :) Yes, there is a gap between the ceremony and the reception to allow for the actual ceremony, travel, and cocktail hour.

@Erikan73 - Yes and yes! I've planned some breakfast and snacks but thanks for the reminder to remind them about button-ups.
  • Wow everybody here is making it sound easy but unless it is really hot in October I don't think melting or hair frizzes should be a concern. After all you won't be doing anything strenuous till the wedding right?
  • Nothing strenuous and the temperature should (fingers crossed) be around 75-76 degrees. I, however, sweat when I'm nervous and have hair that does not like to cooperate if there's any moisture in the air so I was concerned with the timing.

With some extra lipstick and powder it sounds like we'll be fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards