40-Plus Brides

How do I delay my period?

Hello ladies! I was wondering if anyone had any natural remedies to help delay a period? I am scheduled to start the day of my wedding. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the first day, but I am always in SO much pain and look awful on the first day of my menstrual cycle. I am dreading to feel that way on the day of my wedding and really want to delay it. Does anyone have any methods to do this without the use of birth control? Thank you!!

Re: How do I delay my period?

• Birth control is the only way I know to fool your body and change up your cycle.
  • you could outright starve yourself. if you lose a bunch of weight, your body usually starts shutting down and you stop menstruating.

you could also start ingesting bromide, which the Nazis used to help stop women from menstruating in concentration camps. bromide can also be toxic in higher doses, so this might not be the best idea. 

please keep in mind that i'm not a doctor, and neither of these ^^^ suggestions is safe, despite being all natural. 

you could also get pregnant, which can come with it's own host of issues - but it should stop you from bleeding (unless you spot - some women do.)
  • Talk to your doctor. There are was to postpone it for long periods of time. Austronauts use this for their spaceflights.
  • I think you can get a progesterone shot and that will eliminate a period. I had the same issue and I ended up going on birth control even though I REALLY didn't want to. I started a couple of months before and skipped period and reset my cycle with two months to spare, so i guess i could theoretically stop taking it now. I will warn though if you don't have the time to do it in advance ( as in, you are going to continuous dose for the first time at your wedding) just know that I gained some weight and my boobs got very big while continuous dosing.  Everything is back to a normal size now that I am back on regular dosing,  but it was a noticeable change that would've affected the way my dress fit. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Talk to your doctor, but the pill is usually the easiest way to go in this situation.  I'm on the pill and will continue to stay on it until after the wedding.  But looking ahead to next year, I saw that I would have my period the week of my wedding, so I already went ahead and changed my pill cycle so it will come the week before.  I didn't want to risk any period related emergencies while in my beautiful dress!
  • I've had a lot of success controlling my cycle naturally by using a pelvic chiropractor.  Between regular adjustments and supplements, my 10 day long friend is now about 5-6 days, and everything from cramps, flow accidents, bloating, acne, and energy loss has been minimized. 

The thing to remember is that everyone is different, and you need to talk to a doctor.  Many women have a delayed or premature start because of stress.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards