Registry and Gift Forum

Cookware Advice

I'm starting my registry and want to include decent cookware - nothing super extravagant because we are not fancy in the kitchen but we want it to be quality.  I think easy to clean and dishwasher safe are probably priorities.  Does anyone have some advice or want to share the details on their awesome cookware?  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cookware Advice

• We are all about All-Clad.    Yes, it can be expensive, but it's worth it for us.    We also have The Green Pan as a non-stick frying pan.    As long as you season it properly it works great.

Do not underestimate the power of a good pans.  Good ones should last a lifetime.    I have a cast iron frying pan that was my grandmother's.   She died in the 60's.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We went for Calphalon - they just came out with a dishwasher safe line. So far they've held up really well. We aren't fancy in the kitchen but we do cook at home most nights.
  • Your cookware depends on the type of stove you have.  Not all expensive/high quality cookware is created equal.  I always recommend getting cookware that is compatible with all stove types (not all cookware works with induction or gas).

I am a big fan of all-clad, but you need to do your research to make sure the type you register for is compatible with your lifestyle (the more expensive collections work on everything, but only a few are dishwasher safe... not that I would ever put mine in the dishwasher)....It is not always for everyone.  My mom hates it. You should also at least know how to cook in the pans (oiled enough etc).  FI and I went to several cooking stores and asked about the proper way to cook/care for the cookware. Typically, after cooking several times in an all-clad pan, I do need to take a brillo pad and elbow grease to it, but I have never cooked on something that heats up as fast (d5 or copper core collection, stainless steel isn't as fast to heat up because it doesn't have the heat-retention cores that the other two have).  It's great to cook on, but you need to be aware of how to cook with it.

FI's family has always loved le creuset (his great-uncle owned several french restaurants). Traditionally, his family will give one or two pieces from that brand to the bride and groom.  His dad still has their first pans 30 years later, and it still looks new.

My step-dad has had analon for over 20 years.  Unfortunately, my younger sister put some in the dishwasher, which ruined the appearance.  It is the easiest to clean, but you do need to wash by hand.

If you have the time, look for cooking classes offered in your area.  Most William Sonoma's or Sur La Tables offer classes where you can "test" the cookware out.
  • Another vote for All-Clad. I am completely obsessed with my All-Clad cookware!! I cook a ton, and it holds up great, evenly distributes heat, and I just love love love All-Clad.

For oven dishes / soups, I love Le Creuset.

Have fun registering!!

• Your cookware depends on the type of stove you have.  Not all expensive/high quality cookware is created equal.  I always recommend getting cookware that is compatible with all stove types (not all cookware works with induction or gas).

I am a big fan of all-clad, but you need to do your research to make sure the type you register for is compatible with your lifestyle (the more expensive collections work on everything, but only a few are dishwasher safe... not that I would ever put mine in the dishwasher)....It is not always for everyone.  My mom hates it. You should also at least know how to cook in the pans (oiled enough etc).  FI and I went to several cooking stores and asked about the proper way to cook/care for the cookware. Typically, after cooking several times in an all-clad pan, I do need to take a brillo pad and elbow grease to it, but I have never cooked on something that heats up as fast (d5 or copper core collection, stainless steel isn't as fast to heat up because it doesn't have the heat-retention cores that the other two have).  It's great to cook on, but you need to be aware of how to cook with it.

FI's family has always loved le creuset (his great-uncle owned several french restaurants). Traditionally, his family will give one or two pieces from that brand to the bride and groom.  His dad still has their first pans 30 years later, and it still looks new.

My step-dad has had analon for over 20 years.  Unfortunately, my younger sister put some in the dishwasher, which ruined the appearance.  It is the easiest to clean, but you do need to wash by hand.

If you have the time, look for cooking classes offered in your area.  Most William Sonoma's or Sur La Tables offer classes where you can "test" the cookware out.
    I have had All-Clad for 5+ years and I've never had to do that.

• We did Calphalon and got their new (at least almost two years ago it was new) dishwasher safe set.  We still hand wash them to keep it nicer longer, but I wanted the option to put it in the dishwasher if I was being super lazy.

I really like them.  They are super easy to clean and no nicks/scratches so far.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • We have Le Creuset and I love them. I have several cast iron skillets that were my grandmother's for everyday use as well.
  • I recommend a mix of All-Clad, Le Creuset and some old fashioned cast-iron.   The Le Creuset cast-iron enamel is fantastic for a variety of applications but you can't beat the All Clad saute and fry pans as well. 

I'd definitely go for quality over price.   Register for individual items vs. a set. 
  • I think I have some advice you can use... The stainless steel pans can be tough for the casual cook because no one ever tells you that in order to get the food not to stick... Never put cold food in the pan. That's right, that roast you were braising to put in the slow cooker will leave behind a mess if not at room temp with plenty of oil. That being said, I have different pans for different things I cook, but for a quality set, you'll want to pay attention to getting a nice thick bottom - copper conducts heat the best, so look for that if you can afford to (all-clad is one brand). The pan should be heavy and have nice riveted handles - you will be able to tell the quality by looking at it. You'll need non-stick fry pand in a couple of sizes. Here's where you can skimp since the non-stick coating wears out on all of them - with the exception of the ceramic non-stick (they eventually wear out, but have a lifetime replacement) and other higher-end brands that boast replacement guarantees. I chose scan pan because I inherited a few and they have replaced them over the years - no questions asked. You don't need an expensive stock pot to make soup - a good mid range one will do. And you'll need a Dutch oven that goes from stovetop to oven. Le Crueset is an excellent brand, but there are many good choices in a variety of price points. Don't get sucked into sets that have strange sizes or specialty pans - unless you cook that specialty often - they aren't good values. Hope this helps.
  • I have Cuisinart. They are dishwasher and OVEN safe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got the Rachael Ray hard adonized set and am really happy with it. I cook daily, and think it is a good quality at a reasonable price.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards