Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Pre Wedding Nail Care

My nails have always been atrocious (weak, flakey, dry...), but I want to try and use my natural nail for my wedding. We're now about 7 weeks out, and I feel like I'm on the right track! I've spent the summer with completely bare nails (no polish, strengtheners, wraps, etc), taking prenatals, drinking more water, and using argan oil to moisturize. My nails aren't 100% yet, but way healthier than they used to be! Anything else I could be doing? Strengtheners and gelatin have never worked for me. I've tried pretty much every strengthening product and vitamin on the market!

Re: Pre Wedding Nail Care

• I find when i eat more natural fruits and vegetables I see my nails much stronger and growing quicker.  Also biotin helps with this too but its very similar to your prenatals you are taking
  • snowywintersnowywinter member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2015
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this is way overkill. I mean, really, people will barely notice your nails. If you get a mani the day before, no one's going to know how healthy or unhealthy they are. This would be at the bottom of my priority list.

That said, B complex vitamins are good for nail health and growth. There's one by Nature's Bounty called Skin, Hair, and Nails. I used it for my hair and it worked wonders on all three.
  • @snowywinter I should clarify, my concern is that my nails don't grow. They flake and chip, thus nail polish does not stick to them. Even if I get a manicure the day before, it will chip off by the next day. That's where my concern is. I won't have nails to get manicured if I can't grow healthy nails. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • Have you seen a dermatologist about this issue? Issues with hair and nails could be indicators of other more serious health issues or it could just be you have trouble with your nails and I bet a dr would have the answer.

However if it's just that nail polish always chips on you I think that is pretty normal depending on how rough you are on your nails. For me normal polish chips the day I put it on sometimes and my nails are fairly healthy. You might need to get a Gel manicure, I've heard those last longer. Or I started using Jamberry nail wraps and they are awesome. On me they last 2-3 weeks. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't manage to keep regular nail polish on for more than a day because it flakes and chips off. I've found the only thing that works for me is the gel polish. I'm always surprised at the end of the week when they still look great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The vitamin B helps me alot with nails strength.
  • I too have poor nails sadly, though recently with a healthier diet I've noticed a change. They still all broke on me last week :(. I'd recommend the vitamin B as others did and also a gel manicure the day before, which is what I'm doing.
  • edited September 2015
    Just wondering, what kind of work do you do? I used to work at a Starbucks and the constant washing of all the equipment did a number on my nails. Now I am a nurse and constantly having to wash my hands, then doing dishes at home on most evenings really makes them weak and peel-y. If you have to put your hands in any kind of water or chemicals, maybe try using gloves to protect your skin and nails? I have been taking vitamins and using gloves when I remember to wash dishes and it has been helping :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards