Michigan-Detroit
Options

Dress Dilema - HELP!!!

So, I bought my dress last night!!! I LOVE the dress, it's perfect for me. However, I bought a dress for $199 and was told that it is being discontinued which is why the price is so low. They told me I had to buy the one that I tried on....which is fine, except it's a size 8 and I really need a size 6 if not a 4. But I would rather error on the higher side and have to take it in a smidge. When I told the consultant that all of the dresses I had chosen to try on were showing on their website as available, she said they didn't have my size. SO, I came home last night (after they were closed - as we were the last customers last night) only to find out that they have every size available online!!!!! Now I have this dress in my closet that needs to be altered down several inches!!!!! I LOVE the dress....do I really want to go through the hassle of trying to get them to order me  NEW one in MY size and exchange it? Do I really want to fight with managers and call corporate....or just find a place to handle the alterations and pray with every bone in my body that it still looks fabulous when it's all said and done.

So frustrated and uncertain :/

Re: Dress Dilema - HELP!!!

• Options
    Well, first, my mom had her dress altered from like a size 14 to a 4, and it looked fabulous. Granted, it was an MOB dress, but still. It can work.

That being said, I'm sort of confused by the question here. Is this a chain salon so there are multiple locations? If so, I could see calling around and seeing if other stores have the dress in the proper size. If it's discontinued, it might be that stores only have 1 or 2 dresses, or that only the online store has the sizes, but the in-person stores are sold out. If that's the case, you may not want to buy online unless you're absolutely sure of your size.

I think at minimum it's worth a call to understand why your size is availble online and not in-store. You certainly don't want to alter if you don't have to. There may be a very good explanation as to why you can't get a dress in your size, even if they're showing availability online. At least then you'll know and you've already got a dress that can be altered if needed.

Can you even exchange the dress you bought if you are able to locate your size? If not, this may all be a moot point unless you're prepared to outright buy another dress in the proper size and try to sell the original. If you can't exchange and don't want to buy two dresses, then I'd work with what you've got and try to find a fabulous tailor.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Oh, it's a chain.....David's Bridal. And it's the "way" the consultant kind of blew off my questions about my size and she sort of danced around the subject when I saked why they weren't going to order my size instead of selling me the one they had. I work in retail, so I know that the customer is always right and there is an exception to every rule regarding returns/exchanges. I will be calling them in a few to ask exactly why they wouldn't order me a new dress....they open at 11. At the time I was blinded by the fact that a) I LOVE the dress and b) it was WAY under my budget which means I have more cushion later for other things.
  • Options
    Problem solved. The manager was very understanding and I am taking the dress back today - they will order me the correct size and it will just be an even exchange :) PHEW!!!
    Thanks for at least listening to me vent...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards