Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Tips for smooth legs?

Shaving my legs is a perpetual problem. I don't know what it is about my skin, but no matter how I do it I end up with the little black bumps everywhere, even right after I shave. Normally this is just something I've learned to let go, but for my wedding and especially the wedding night I'd just like it to look...nicer. My original plan was to get waxed, but I've never done that before and didn't realize how pricey it would be. So, has anyone stumbled across a Plan B that worked for them in terms of getting things a little bit smoother?? Obviously it won't be as good as waxing but something is better than nothing.

Things I've tried:
- Buying a razor with one of those moisture-cake-things on it. This has worked pretty well for daily use and lack of cuts, but I'm still getting the bumps. 
- Shaving with conditioner. Doesn't seem to get very different results from the fancy razor. 
- Shaving with olive oil, which I saw online somewhere last week. My skin is definitely softer but, again, still the bumps, and now my legs are covered in bandaids because I keep nicking myself....

Re: Tips for smooth legs?

• Options
    I was going to suggest waxing but if it's out of budget...I dunno. Do they sell Nair anymore? You could try that.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I used to shave with a sugar scrub, I stopped when I found out how quickly it destroyed razors. I definitely didn't have the same issue you have though, so you might try it if you feel like the cost is worth it. Obviously you would not want to shave your lady-bits this way.
  • Options
    @southernbelle0915 -- I had completely forgotten about Nair! Thank you! It looks like they do still sell it so I might give that a shot. 

@justsie - I'll give the sugar scrub a go as well (I'm really just aiming for legs, not lady parts, so that should be fine). I'm willing to sacrifice a razor for the cause since I'm not planning to do this long-term :-). Any reason it wouldn't work with one of the super-cheap Bic razors? That's what I've been using with the olive oil because I didn't want to gunk up my nice one. 
  • Options
    The black bumps are probably your leg hairs growing back, which they will probably do at nearly the same rate from Nair as from a razor. Waxing is really the only non-permanent thing I can think of that'll slow that growth rate.

At-home waxing is a ton cheaper than pro-waxing, but it does take some will-power to do that to yourself; you might want to beg a very close friend to do it to you. (Or maybe I'm just a wimp about it. I can usually only get through half a leg at a time.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @southernbelle0915 -- I had completely forgotten about Nair! Thank you! It looks like they do still sell it so I might give that a shot. 

@justsie - I'll give the sugar scrub a go as well (I'm really just aiming for legs, not lady parts, so that should be fine). I'm willing to sacrifice a razor for the cause since I'm not planning to do this long-term :-). Any reason it wouldn't work with one of the super-cheap Bic razors? That's what I've been using with the olive oil because I didn't want to gunk up my nice one. 
    I don't see why not, but it might just cause them to get destroyed faster. I've just keep an eye out that it doesn't accidently bend a blade or something that would cause it to cut you. Since sugar dissolves in water I don't think it would happen, but I'd watch out just in case.
  • Options
    I have sensitive skin and get tons of bumps, though it appears your bumps are from the hair not getting shaved all the way down. Have you considered switching a razor?

I use a men's razor (I am currently using Gillette's Custom Plus 3) and apply coconut oil to my legs, then shave. After I get out of the shower I apply Tend Skin ointment and then Hempz body lotion. That assures smooth legs and a close shave for me. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    My advice is to be careful with Nair- I found out I'm allergic to it. It was like eating my skin away the two times I tried it! OUCH!
  • Options
    The black bumps never seem to go away at all -- even 2 minutes after I shave, and no matter how carefully I shave, they're there. I guess maybe that is something that would require waxing to fix? (I haven't tried Nair yet because I haven't had time to actually follow the careful instructions). 

I've tried switching up razors a few different times in my life but I've almost always had the same problem. I'll admit I don't typically do a lot of lotioning or anything besides whatever comes embedded in the razor, so maybe that's something that would help? 
  • Options
    Maybe try shaving during a bath?  It will help the hairs stand up better if your legs are really warm and give you a closer shave. And maybe try exfoliating the skin with a loofah a bit before shaving. I use the aloevera vasaline spray lotion after getting out of the shower which has been making my legs smooth.  I've also used baby oil- but that tends to be a little greasey- but will make your legs looks shiny and smooth.  
  • Options
    I always shave during my shower -- would a bath be different? (or did you just mean bathing in general). I hadn't thought about exfoliating though! 

• Options
    Exfoliating might help. (Always before, not after; exfoliating just-shaved skin is very likely to irritate it.) Shaving in a bath as opposed to a shower will soften the hair more, yes. Waxing is probably your best bet, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015

The fact that you're getting nicks and cuts tells me you aren't using sharp blades (and keep in mind that it doesn't have to "look" dull to actually be dull - most people use disposable razors far longer than they are actually sharp and useful for in an effort to be frugal - that might be fine for the average shave, but not if you want a very close shave).  You're using cheap razors and you're not using a product with sufficient lubrication (in other words, use a good shaving cream - not soap, not olive oil, not conditioner, not those little bars on those crappy razors that actually left me with more hair than I started I'm sure).

Buy a good razor - one with four or five blades.  Mens razors work well.  Do some research on the best ones.  The Gillette Fusion and the Mach 3 are both good ones (though Mach 3 only has three blades, but that could be sufficient).  It's amazing how close of a shave you get once you realize that women's legs don't require pink razors with a floral motif.

Exfoliate before you shave.  Either a good sugar scrub or use a loofah.  You don't shave with the sugar scrub, it's just for exfoliating dead skin to get a closer shave.

Shave at the end of your shower, not the beginning.  Give it a good 15 minutes to allow the follicles to open up.

Use a good shaving cream and plenty of it.  Rinse the blade frequently.  EOS makes a good one.  Trader Joe's has a honey mango one that's good.  Alba Botanica has a very similar one to the TJ's one (in fact they may actually be the makers of the TJ's one) if you don't have a TJ's near you.  Kiss My Face also has a very good one.

• Options
    lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited June 2015
    I find that the first time I shave my legs are fine a smooth but I get red bumps if I try to shave again the day after. For the summer I try to limit my shaving to every other day or even skip 2 days but if I know there's a big event coming up that I want really smooth I'll skip shaving for about a week before and then I'll shave the day of the big event and have smooth legs. It's not ideal so maybe I'll look into some of these tricks above.

Anyways I just want to caution you about waxing. For me I have pretty fine light hair on my upper legs and professional waxing did not take care of those. My legs looked smooth but I still had to shave to make them feel smooth. So before you spend the money keep that in mind depending on your hair type.

Also if you are going to try Nair make sure you do the small patch of skin test they recommend. I figured it the recommendation was for chumps and just applied it to my whole leg. Within a couple minutes it seemed like the stuff was eating my skin and I bleeding. It painful bloody mess. I don't skip allergy tests anymore.

Edit for Spelling...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Shave using Coconut Oil.   I don't mean coconut oil products, I mean really 100% organic virgin coconut oil that comes in the jar.   It's a little weird at first because it's not a cream.  I would put a little in a bowl and bring it in the shower.  You rub it on your legs and shave.   I will warn you that it will leave the bottom of the shower/tub slippery, so be cautious.  Make sure you rinse it out off well and rinse it out of the shower.  

It leaves your legs very smooth.  A jar of coconut oil can be very expensive, but it has many uses (both beauty and for cooking) and a jar will last quite a while.
  • Options
    Agree with PPs about trying a men's razor. I always feel like I get a much closer shave that lasts longer if I use a men's razor.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I know this post is a little old but I wanted to chime in just in case anyone is still wondering. I have  ridiculously sensitive skin- every time I shave I have to use lidocaine or some type of numbing spray and hydrocotisone cream to keep my legs from itching/burning to death and getting all red and inflamed. I also have a skin condition (very minor and very common, some of you might know what I mean, but it's still considered a condition) where I have these tiny little red bumps all over my legs, ALL the time (also slightly on the backs of my upper arms). I have used ammonium lactate lotion as suggested by my doctor to help with this. After about a week or maybe 10 days of using it nightly, my skin is soooo smooth and the bumps are gone, and my skin looks great also. So it doesn't irritate sensitive skin or anything- but if you have an open wound it will HURT LIKE HELL so be careful. It's OTC at places like CVS and I'm sure you can get it online, at Publix you have to ask the pharmacist since it's behind the counter but no RX or ID or anything required. The only thing is, it is SUPER sticky and thick and gross feeling. I get cat hair, my hair, lint, EVERYTHING stuck to my legs when I put it on. I usually just do it right before bed, then put on long pants and wash it off in the morning when I shower. You have to keep up with it or it stops working pretty instantaneously. Overall it's a big pain in the ass and it's not cheap, but for special occasions like a weeding it is all that will work (for me at least). Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards