Attire & Accessories Forum

Help - buy gown out of state or not!?

Hi, I need some advice..

I went gown shopping for the first time last week in Virgina Beach, where my sister lives (I am in New Jersey). I went in thinking I probably wouldn't purchase, since I thought it would be too much of a hassle to have the dress shipped to VA, I would have to pick it up, alterations, etc. I only went there so that my sister could be a part of the experience, she recently gave birth to twins and won't be able to make the trip to NJ for quite a while.

At the shop, I found THE dress, and the consultant informed me that if I paid with an out of state credit card, I would not have to pay sales tax. This would save me over $200. This shop doesn't do their own alterations, so I would have to find a different place for that service anyway. My thought was to have it sent there, and I will pick it up when I am inevitably in VA or my sister comes back, and have it altered here. Since the twins were born, we go down there a lot more often, and I am not worried about having to get down there to pick up the dress when it comes in next year.

Should I try to find the gown in NJ and tell them this, maybe they will knock off a few hundred to make up for the sales tax, or should I just buy it in Virginia? Any previous experiences would be great to hear!

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help - buy gown out of state or not!?

• Since all you are doing is buying the dress in VA and doing everything else in NJ then I don't really see the problem with you going ahead and buying it and then going down to pick it up when it comes in (since you have a two really good reasons to go for a visit).

But I would make sure that you personally go and pick up the dress so you can give it a quick try on and make sure that everything is as it should be (no mistakes in regards to the size they ordered, or pulls in the fabric or any beading missing, etc).

• I saw go for it! Just make sure you get that dress back to NJ before you need to start on alterations, 2-3 months before the wedding day!
  • Go For it!! I went to visit relatives in Hungary about a year before my wedding and I saw a dress there that I fell in love with. After I figured the exchange rate, it turns out it was a little over $600.00!! Go for it, you can save money and get your dream dress!
  • trisha810trisha810 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2015
    I would go for it!  I live in NJ but I'm getting married in MI and on a casual trip to a bridal salon there I found my perfect dress.  Yes, I'll have to go there to pick it up and for the alterations but I make frequent trips to that area anyway - plus I won't have to worry about transporting the dress for the wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards