Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Engagement Photos - yay or nay?

FI and I are checking out different photographers now.  We got referrals from friends, checked out each webpage and ranked them by who we liked best and are now evaluating their packages.

We personally don't really care either way about having an engagement session.  Our original thought was if it's included in the package, we'll do it, and if not, my sister can take some nice photos of us when she comes home to visit (she has a professional camera and has been taking classes and has taken some of other friends).

However, a lot of friends and photographers alike, recommend the engagement session so we can get used to having our pictures taken professionally and to allow us to build a relationship with the photographers.

So what are your thoughts?  Is this all hogwash used to sell the session?  Did you have engagement photos?  Are you glad you did?

Re: Engagement Photos - yay or nay?

• Options
    Our Engagement session was included in our package, but all in all, I think they're a good idea.  Especially if either of you are like FI, because he is just so uncomfortable in front of a camera. I'm hoping the engagement session has helped him loosen up a little since the photographer isn't a stranger anymore, KWIM? And it also gave the photographer a chance to get a feel for us and what we're comfortable with. And really, we got some great pics out of it, like the first one, and then some...well...that showcased just how much FI doesn't like taking posed pictures, like the second one...lol.

So I say go for it if it's in the budget and you think it would help you feel more comfortable with the photographer. 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I never thought I would choose to do an engagement session but it was included in the package for every photographer we talked to.  I will be honest - it was awkward, cheesy and somewhat embarrassing but I think worth it to spend a lot of time with our photographer so he can get to know us, learn how we respond to the camera and how we interact with each other.  I should have them back any day now and I'll post a link that will ideally prove that our photographer was able to capture a handful of nice moments while we nervously giggled for an hour.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ours is included as well, but it's actually ME who's uncomfortable in front of the camera.  FI takes really good pictures.  I'm doing it for what PP mentioned, just getting to know the photographer and their style.  If they weren't in our package, I probably wouldn't do them.  I did save the date head shots at JC Penny though, and they turned out REALLY good. I got the deal from groupon.  The photographer was fantastic there and really had fun with us.  We ended up extending the groupon deal and bought some other shots.

• Options
    laurad75laurad75 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2015
    I'm going to share the link to my engagement photos.  I think the photographer did a nice job but I'm not wild about how I look in a lot of them.  We got a couple that I am happy with and like I said in PP it was worth it to spend that time getting to know the photographer.  Please excuse my FI getting fresh in 75% of the shots.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2015
    oh I think you look so pretty and happy in them.  You're right, she did a great job.  Love the dress! 

• Options
    laurad75 said:
    I'm going to share the link to my engagement photos.  I think the photographer did a nice job but I'm not wild about how I look in a lot of them.  We got a couple that I am happy with and like I said in PP it was worth it to spend that time getting to know the photographer.  Please excuse my FI getting fresh in 75% of the shots.  

I think you look amazing and so happy in these!  If him getting fresh is what it takes for you to smile that genuinely then keep it up FI;).
  • Options
    I personally don't care a fig if we have engagement photos.  I don't generally care for images of myself, and I really can't envision ever really looking at, enjoying, or distributing engagement pics.  If I want to see myself young and in love when I am old and gray, I will have my wedding photos to look back on.

BUT...I am still dead set on taking engagement photos.  I consider it an audition of sorts.  If the engagement shoot goes well and I am pleased with the quality of the images, I can feel confident in letting them shoot my wedding.  But if personalities clash or the resulting photos don't impress me, it may be time to go back to the drawing board.

It seems like almost all the higher-quality photographers include engagement photos in their packages, but even if it cost more I would still not think of skipping it.
  • Options
    I skipped them with a pro. My sister took them with my camera for the std. I'm a photog bc I'd prefer not to have my photo taken, so I didn't do the pro e pics even though they were included. It was to difficult with scheduling. I don't regret it one bit.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    alot of photographers prefer to have it included in the packages as well so they can get to know you and how best to work with you :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are getting pictures done, but not with the photographer that is doing our wedding. We already have a great relationship with him but want a different style from what he uses for our engagement.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards