Military Brides

Ideas...please!

So my FI is active duty Navy and we're just begining to really jump into planning. Our wedding however will not really be military related : our venue is a 1928 grand ballroom in Detroit and our colors are purple and antique gold.
My FI doesn't really want to include the Navy in any of our plans because he says he wants to feel like a "normal person" that day. He will however be taking a few of our engagement pics in his whites, just because our mothers have requested it and I think it would be nice to have. (He's a first class petty officer, not an officer so we can't do the swords). 
I would still like to include a nod towards the Navy in some other way! So I'm thinking something little....instead of a pillow I'm thinking our RB can carry something Navy related?? Anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate ideas without being over obvious?

Re: Ideas...please!

• edited December 2011
    You could wear a garter with the nevy seal on it, or you could do a cake topper with a bride and a sailor, cocktail napkins, a picture of the two of you with him in his uniform, you could even put his rate and rank on the invitations. there are lots of simple ways to incorperate the military. My FI and I are both AD and we're trying to get away from the military as much as possible, but everyone keeps trying to shove it down our throats. Good Luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You could try naming the tables after battle ships instead of simply numbering them 1,2,3.. If any of your parents, grandparents or other honored guests are in the military or are retired you could frame old pictures of them in uniform and display them somewhere as a nice little tribute. Just think understated details that will give your wedding character, rather than turning it into a political rally.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    H is also in the Navy and was the same way for our wedding.  He chose not to wear his uniform, but we did want a few things related to it. 

We put on all of the military invites "service dress whites are invited" at the bottom of the reception card.  So we had the guests in the Navy in their dress whites, and one friend in the Army in his firemans uniform.  People loved the uniforms. 

The toss garter that we used was a Navy garter that I found at David's Bridal.  It was camo with a U.S. Navy logo sewed on. 

The lobby at our venue had TV screens that played a slideshow of some of our photos throughout the night, and we had a few pics in there of us from military events where he was in his dress uniform.

Oh, and we told the DJ that if he played the Village People's "In the Navy" then we weren't paying him.  Haha.  You might want to specifiy that on a no-play list since lots of people think its fun for Navy guys, but honestly they hate the song and consider it offensive.  H said he would leave our wedding if he heard it. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ha thats so funny!  We're walking in to the Village People "In the Navy."  We are doing the famous ships as our table names, and we are requesting service members to wear their dress uniforms.  Other than that, no Navy.  I will be wearing a Navy garter.  Also, our colors are navy blue and silver  FI is not wearing his uniform, however I like the idea of a slide show on one of the TV screens with a bunch of pictures of us, including some with him in his uniform.  Also, I will be doing a Navy themed grooms cake for our rehearsal dinner.  Thats it. :)  There are lots of little things you can do without going overboard. Maybe in your baskets you place in the bathrooms, you can have a little poem that includes something Navy related.  My FI Is first class too.  He is (fingers crossed) going to be taking his E7 Board in January...we find out in November if he gets an early promote. So although we don't want a super Navy wedding, we are doing little things to incorporate it.  :)  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Warner2011Warner2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is the same way. He does not want anything to do with having military stuff in our wedding. I want him to be in his dress blues but he said he wants to be normal too. But oh well.
    His Pink In A Camo World
  • Warner2011Warner2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and there are military serving dishwear like a cake cutter and stuff. You can find just about anything.
    His Pink In A Camo World
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the ideas ladies!!
  • edited December 2011
    You can get the Navy themes garter at davids bridal for really cheap!  If you just want the throwing garter it's $12.00...if you want the throwing one and keepsake one it's $24.00!  They also have matching ring pilllows and flower girl baskets...that may be a bit extreme though lol I'm former Navy and my FI is AD Navy, he didn't want to wear his uniform either but I wanted to include something Navy related since the Navy is the reason why we met :) So this is what I'm doing!  Good luck to you! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards