Chit Chat

Wedding Recap

A little back story: Heather is my half sister from my dad’s first marriage and as a family, we weren’t very close until about 6 years ago because of her mom. She also has a half brother, Justin from her mom’s previous relationship that ultimately was put into my dad’s care. Heather’s mom has had resentment towards my dad for it ever since, even though she made the decision to do so. The groom, Corey, and his mom also have a rocky relationship; his mom has a major drug problem and after she got into a physical altercation with her parents (his grandparents basically raised him), Corey told her that she was uninvited. 

Friday at the rehearsal and dinner: Heather’s mom was an ass and made Heather feel so bad about asking our dad to walk her down the aisle that he backed down and let her walk Heather down the aisle. He felt bad about it and apologized to Heather, but didn’t want to fight with her mom and ruin her wedding for her. We waited for a long time before the pastor finally called my mom and said that he did a lot of soul searching and decided he could not marry a couple who has two children before marriage. So here we are, waiting for this pastor for over an hour, and he decides he can’t do it because they have two sons. However, he said that he would be more than happy to come and bless the meal at the reception. Corey had a friend who was ordained who agreed to do it for them. The dinner was fairly uneventful, but it was cold as shit out and nobody was allowed inside the house (Heather's mom and husband #5) except to get food, and the food was kinda shitty. Not many people stuck around for long.

Saturday at the wedding: The wedding was in a field by a lake and it was really pretty out. However, the mosquitos were so bad that people were being eaten alive. It was casual (jeans and a button down), but I guess the memo wasn't really relayed well because some people were way overdressed. Personally, I was kind of confused, but she's my sister and I just asked her what to wear. Heather was also 50 minutes late because she got into a fight with her mom. She ended up calling my parents to come bail her out of the shitfest with her mother (she still walked her down the aisle though). When she finally arrived on her horse-drawn carriage she was beautiful and the ceremony was nice; you wouldn’t have even known that their pastor backed out at the last minute with as good of a job as Corey’s friend did.

Reception: They had mason jar cups with hand-painted designs on them that you kept for the night (some of the paint on mine rubbed off, but that’s fine since they had their name and wedding day on them. FI and I use mason jar glasses at our house). They had a nice selection of music and everyone seemed to have a good time. The pastor didn’t show up to bless the meal and nobody really missed it. The food was decent; it was a buffet that had pulled pork, chicken, pasta, potato casserole and veggies with salad. The pasta and potato casserole were probably the best...the pork was cold by the time I went through, and my mom and younger brother said that the chicken was dry. The cake was neat; half was a white wedding cake and the other half was a burning building (Corey’s a firefighter). A few people complained about that but I didn’t give a shit – it was some of the best cake I’ve ever had at a wedding. They contracted with the farm to do horse-drawn carriage rides through the village during the reception and that was really cool. At the very end they did a dollar dance, but by that time, a lot of people had gone home and it was really just their friends that were there. Not a lot of money I’m sure, but they had a good time doing it. 

All in all, it was a pretty good time; a few bumps and bruises along the way but nonetheless, still pretty good.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Recap

• People were pissed about the cake but not her being 50 minutes late and the dollar dance?

• We waited for a long time before the pastor finally called my mom and said that he did a lot of soul searching and decided he could not marry a couple who has two children before marriage. So here we are, waiting for this pastor for over an hour, and he decides he can’t do it because they have two sons. However, he said that he would be more than happy to come and bless the meal at the reception.

The pastor didn’t show up to bless the meal and nobody really missed it.
    What kind of an asshole bails on a wedding the day before?  Did he not know that they had two kids?  Because that seems like really basic info that he should have asked about.  So if he didn't, shame on him.  And if he did (assuming they were truthful), then he could have finished his soul searching more than 24 hrs before the ceremony he was supposed to perform.

As for the blessing, I wouldn't want this jag to even show up at my reception, let alone bless anything.  So unprofessional.

http://media.giphy.com/media/3uzYPLGAqDTtS/giphy.gif
  • I'm sure people were pissed about the 50 minutes late thing, but I didn't hear too much complaining about that. A lot of watch checking, but not a lot of outward complaining. One of my aunts was very vocal about the cake because it wasn't traditional; the whole wedding wasn't traditional...I'm not sure what part of the memo she missed. To her, it looked like a child's birthday cake and she would never choose to do that for her wedding. Personally, I bitched to FI about her being so late but I could give two fucks less about what a damn cake looks like. Dollar dances are stupid in my opinion, and I would never do one; they did though. The ones that participated in it were their friends and were beyond drunk by that point so I assume they just didn't care. Maybe it's "normal" in their circle...I don't know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Heffalump said:
    We waited for a long time before the pastor finally called my mom and said that he did a lot of soul searching and decided he could not marry a couple who has two children before marriage. So here we are, waiting for this pastor for over an hour, and he decides he can’t do it because they have two sons. However, he said that he would be more than happy to come and bless the meal at the reception.

The pastor didn’t show up to bless the meal and nobody really missed it.
    What kind of an asshole bails on a wedding the day before?  Did he not know that they had two kids?  Because that seems like really basic info that he should have asked about.  So if he didn't, shame on him.  And if he did (assuming they were truthful), then he could have finished his soul searching more than 24 hrs before the ceremony he was supposed to perform.

As for the blessing, I wouldn't want this jag to even show up at my reception, let alone bless anything.  So unprofessional.

http://media.giphy.com/media/3uzYPLGAqDTtS/giphy.gif
    He knew; they go to his church and he baptized both of them. I guess now I should say they went to his church. After he backed out they said they wouldn't go back. He had initially said that he felt reservation about doing the ceremony but that was over a year ago when they had first gotten engaged. They said they would look for someone else to do it and he eventually came around (?) and said he would do it. To me, that would've been a no-go, but that doesn't excuse the 11th hour bailout.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards