Chit Chat

Favorite reading format?

The "What are you Reading?" discussion got me curious... what is everyone's preferred reading format?  Do you prefer real, tangible books?  Digital format?  Audio? 

Do you typically buy your books? If you buy, do you typical go new or used?  Do you borrow from library? Trade with friends?

I'm kind of a mix of all of the above.  I used to be strictly paper books and refused to convert to digital.  Then I realized that digital is much more convenient in the middle of the night when my insomnia kicks in, because I don't need to turn on lights.  So, I'm mostly converted to using my Kindle now. But, I will also sometimes check the used bookstore to see if I can find it used at cheaper price than the download. I also have recently been introduced to the OverDrive app, where you can download digital versions of books from your local library... and I love it.  This is now my first choice for books, since I can download them for free.  I have come across a few times where it's not available and I have to waitlist it, but then I just read something else and go back for it later.

I have a hard time staying focused on audio books.  I like audio for books that are easier to read or for things I've already read, but I don't absorb the information as quickly with audio, so it doesn't work so well on books I actually need to process.

Re: Favorite reading format?

• I'm definitely a mix. Used to be allll about the paper. I had a hard time with audiobooks at first but have since gotten used to listening to them and paying attention (the 30 second backup button on the audible app is my friend).

I also LOVE my kindle... took some getting used to but I love how portable it is and how easy it is to read.
  • Mostly paperback books.  I never do audio.  I had a kindle, but I decided I like real books better.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm a mix. I LOVE my Kindle for big books (just finished the Song of Ice and Fire series on it) and for the convenience it offers - it I finish one book, I can just go borrow one from the Kindle Lender library or buy another one for a few bucks.

I also love buying books at Goodwill, and I'm a book hoarder. And I occasionally listen to audio books, but usually just on road trips. H and I are listening to Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman, which is also narrated by Nick Offerman, and we think the fact that he narrates it makes the audio book superior to the regular version...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love my kindle! I usually buy my books rather than loan from the library because I like having the option of re-reading it in the future and while sure I could re-borrow it I prefer to just own it. I got into that habit when I read paper books after I had a few library late fees where I should have just bought the book...

Sometimes I miss paper books and will read a small one on paper but I've realized that the paperwhite kindle is so much more convenient since I mostly read in bed and don't need a light now and because I tend to read larger books which means my kindle is so much lighter to tote around and to hold at night.

Funny story apparently I don't drop my kindle when I fall asleep reading so if I go to bed before my fiance he will come in and find the kindle on the sleep page but me still holding it up as if I am reading it and he will put it away for me. My old kindle didn't have a back-light so I had a different light that attached and it used to strobe after being on for like 2+ hours. My fiance was always amazed that he'd walk in and see it strobe in my face with me fast asleep. I'm a very heavy sleeper...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Regular books, used to always buy them from Half Price Books but I found Goodwill has them for cheap too so I've started looking there even though I'm not a Goodwill person.  I just can't justify paying a lot of money for a book I will read in a couple days on vacation.

Have read some books on the ipad, I don't love it but if I find a good deal on amazon I do it

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2015
    I have one of the first gen Kindles and I like it because it's portable and it saves my spot without having to use a bookmark or anything.  I also like that if I see an interesting book on sale, I can just download it on there and read it when I have the time without a bunch of books taking up space in my house or desk at work.

For cookbooks, however, I prefer the real thing.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • No preference on books or ereaders, but I prefer the ereaders that aren't backlit. So I have the very basic kindle.

I get a lot of paperback books from my Mom. She's an avid reader, and a bit of a book hoarder. Whenever I visit I usually take 8-9 books back with me. When she visits me she usually brings ones I think I would like. My friends and I share books quite a bit, and once in awhile I buy one. Usually just from the grocery store or somewhere I already am and decide I neeeed it right then.

I do like going to the library, but try to only go in the summer when I'm off work, otherwise it seems like a chore to return books and I get fines. I do borrow digital books quite often. I try not to buy many digital books, only if I have a gift card or I really, really want it.
  • Definitely the actual book. I don't have an e-reader and I'm not a big fan of audio books.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I was a latecomer to the e-reader bandwagon and now I love it! I have the Kindle Paperwhite.

- I'm always downloading books for $2-$3, a convenience fee I'm ok with over navigating to the Library all the time like I used to
    - I can still download e-copies of library books, if available (and not with 200+ holds...ugh)
    - Fits in my purse, which is great for public transit commuting and times when I'm somewhere killing time (Dr. office, etc)
    - Has enough of a light so I can read in bed after DH tries to fall asleep
    - Can be used with one hand (keeping my other arm under the bed covers when I'm cold... lol)
    - Has a dictionary, so if I don't know a word, one tap lets me build my vocabulary

• I much prefer actual books, especially when I get them from local bookstores or trade with my mom. She's a book shopaholic. Overdrive is AWESOME though. Especially for traveling! I used it a ton when I was doing my 6-8 week travels. Also, Overdrive is great when you are reading a book you don't want anyone to see, like 50 Shades.
  • I still prefer paper books. I've had to go digital for a few textbooks and I hated it. Although I admit I did have to rely on my computer or phone. I know a kindle type reader would probably make it easier.

I'm trying to ween myself off new books. I read a ton and go through things quickly. I could easily spend $30+/month if I bought everything I wanted to read new. I try to go to the library once per month and buy used books as much as possible. Luckily, the library near my house has an after-hours book drop, so it's easy to return things and avoid late fees. 

I did download audible and have started listening to e-books on the train. I can't really read because of sound distractions, but I can tune out the noise and listen to an e-book. I've found though that it's better to stick with short stories and special pod-cast type things (the JFK assassination thing free on audible was cool), so I can "read" the whole thing in one or two commutes. 
  • I've got the Kindle with the keyboard on it.  I love books, but after the kindle, it's so much easier to just lay back and read with 1 hand.  Books are too bulky for me now.  And I love that my Kindle takes no space

• What would you guys recommend as fair as e-readers? FH wants one and mentioned he would like a Paperwhite or something similar.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I haven't tried Paperwhite, so I can't say on that one. I have Kindle Fire and like that it serves multiple purposes as a reader and a tablet. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and haven't touched it since I got my Kindle Fire. Since I tend to read most at bedtime or when I can't sleep, I have the reading screen set to black with white font, so it's not so bright.  I initially thought I would hate the darker screen for reading, but I actually prefer it over a bright screen now.

• A mix. I love physical books, but I'd like to get a Kindle for traveling. I enjoy audio books, especially "dramatized" versions (for those who don't know, it's like a radio play or listening to a movie with some narration with different actors for different characters, sound effects, etc.) for listening to when cooking, sewing, crafting, cleaning, etc.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    edited September 2015
    I read physical books when at home - mostly from the library, occasionally bought from a booksale for a buck or 2, never full price from a store.  

When traveling, I just bring my kindle - saves weight in my luggage/carry on.  I'd read on the kindle more at home, but I'm too cheap and prefer to take out books for free from the library.  :)
  • hellohkb I have the Kindle Voyage and I love it. It is paperwhite which I find easier on the eyes than my old original kindle and since it's e-paper it's much easier to me to read than on my ipad. It has a backlight which is really nice for reading in bed. It doesn't wake my fiance up when I wake up at 2 and turn it on where my old light that I used for my old kindle did. You can turn the backlight off if you just don't like it also.

Also it has this x-ray feature that only works on certain books but when it does work it's great. It allows you to look up stuff on wikipedia or even in previous spots in the book. So say it references another book I can look that book up on wikipedia if I want. Or say I'm reading a book with a ton of characters and it's been like 10 chapters since a character was mentioned and I'm thinking who is Lloyd? Well I click on Lloyd and it tells me a brief summary of where he is and allows me to go back to other chapters with him in it if that isn't enough. Unfortunately a lot of books aren't compatible yet but when they are it's nice. 

Finally I really like kindle in general b/c it allows me sync to my phone with the kindle app. I don't like reading on my phone nearly as much but it saves me in a pinch when I forgot I had a dr. appt so I didn't bring my kindle, well now it doesn't matter I can pick up where I left off. Before I was always leaving my book somewhere and then I wouldn't have it. I keep my kindle at home now (unless I'm traveling) and always have my phone with me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have to say that I still love real books, and I read a lot, I won't leave my house without a book no matter where I'm going. I did buy a kindle for when I was traveling for work since I was gone for a month or more at a time and saved weight in my bag. It was nice for the convenience of it but since I got back from those long trips I haven't even charged it. 

I just like the feel and smell of a real book, I spend all say looking at a computer screen and while the paperwhite isn't exactly the same I feel like I'm still looking at an electronic and don't feel unplugged. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    edited September 2015
    I prefer actual physical books.  I have an e-reader with tons of books on it, but if I read a book and I really like it I prefer to buy a new hardcover copy.  Though, sometimes if I find a used book for a decent price that looks interesting or that I had wanted to try reading, I will sometimes buy it.  For example, I picked up five classic books for five dollars at a garage sale once, and they are in excellent condition and are bound in that old timey way and I really like them.
    ETA sometimes my sister or my friend will lend me books to try out, which is always nice.  
  • I like physical books on the beach, but the Kindle at home. I love that I can open my Kindle app on my lunch break if I have time and get in a couple chapters of a book that I can't put down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards