Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Such a beautiful story about a dad & stepdad, had to share

This is a story of a wedding that took place near me over the weekend. It's a beautiful story. You read so many posts on here about brides trying to figure out how to honor their dads while honoring their stepfathers. This father took the matter into his own hands. He warned the photographer that something big was going to happen. When he got to the isle to walk his daughter down the isle, he had her stop & when down the isle and grabbed the arm of her stepfather and took him down to the bride so that they could both walk her down the isle. The stepfather had no idea that this was going to take place. In the words of the father to the step father 'You worked as hard as I have. You'll help us walk our daughter down the aisle"  Such a beautiful moment for everyone involved. I wish for all brides now and in the future to have parents who can work together and have relationships like this. I've attached a link to the story of our local news which includes the emotional photos.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/lorain-county/2015/09/29/lagrange-stepfather-gets-the-thrill-of-a-lifteime/73010538/

Re: Such a beautiful story about a dad & stepdad, had to share

• It's aisle.

I think it's kind that the father made the gesture to the step-father, but I'm left wondering why he thought it was ok to take the decision out of the bride's hands.

We see so many brides on this board agonizing over this decision. I can't imagine that this bride didn't put some thought into who she wanted to walk her down the aisle, even if she didn't discuss her thoughts with the father or the step-father. It kind of makes me wonder whether her wishes were ignored.
  • The bride commented on the original post about how moving she found the moment to be. She didn't elaborate on why she asked her dad alone instead of both dads. I assumed/inferred from the additional comments that she didn't want to hurt her dads feelings, and he learned of this after and planned this surprise.
  • The bride commented on the original post about how moving she found the moment to be. She didn't elaborate on why she asked her dad alone instead of both dads. I assumed/inferred from the additional comments that she didn't want to hurt her dads feelings, and he learned of this after and planned this surprise.
    I hope so. I have a dad and a stepdad and this would have pissed. me. right. off. I love my step dad and he's a good guy but the aisle decision was a hard one for me and there were reasons why I went with my dad alone. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    I hope so. I have a dad and a stepdad and this would have pissed. me. right. off. I love my step dad and he's a good guy but the aisle decision was a hard one for me and there were reasons why I went with my dad alone. 

They just (literally) talked about it in our local news. Apparently bio dad was interviewed and said the divorce and the wife's subsequent wedding were contentious but both sides are cordial now. He wanted to show his daughter that for her Union and new family that they stood as one and the problems of the past are staying there.
  • The bride said that she had reached out to her bio-dad a few weeks before wondering if she made the right choice of not having her step-dad walk her down or both of them together.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Well I'm glad it worked out for them but I feel like the dad was possibly overstepping boundaries. There might have been a really good reason she just wanted him to walk her down. Also I feel like a wedding ceremony isn't the place to try and surprise anyone. If you want to surprise someone do it at the rehearsal dinner, a quiet moment before the ceremony, or maybe even reception but to me the ceremony is just not the place. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I cried when I read this and then my boss walked into my cube and was wondering WTF was going on.

Anyway, I cried because, as a stepparent and a child in a stepparent situation, I know how hard it is to deal with these things. In my personal experiences, it's always been so negative and contentious. I was happy to see the dad putting himself and his feelings aside for his daughter. That has never happened in my world. However, if it was my wedding, I would want to know what was going to happen up front and it sounds like the daughter was okay with it because she had expressed her thoughts prior to the wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards