Wedding Party
Options

What was the best bridesmaid gift you ever received?

Hi ladies!

I am in the midst of purchasing BM gifts and am collecting ideas for each girl - upon the advice of the ladies here, I am doing totally individual, birthday-like gifts for each.  This has been met with some resistance by my mother (who thought I needed to get them each something wedding-related) and my MOH (who freaked when she realized she had to figure out what jewelry to wear for the wedding, since I would not be getting everyone matching earring sets).  I've tried to deflect all of that as gracefully as possible.  I've been a bridesmaid 3 times and I don't use or even still own any of the items that were given to me by the brides, as they were all specific to their weddings and things that weren't at all about my personal taste.  I'm trying to break the mold in my circle here!

Anyway, curious about what your absolute favorite or most memorable gifts you received as a bridesmaid were.  I have everyone mostly covered at this point but would love some ideas for add-ons that maybe haven't crossed my mind yet and would also work for some of my besties.  Thanks all!

Re: What was the best bridesmaid gift you ever received?

• Options
    In every wedding I've been in, I've always been given jewelry to wear for the wedding. Jewelry I've never worn again. So I've never gotten a bridesmaid gift I would consider "the best gift."
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Hi ladies!

I am in the midst of purchasing BM gifts and am collecting ideas for each girl - upon the advice of the ladies here, I am doing totally individual, birthday-like gifts for each.  This has been met with some resistance by my mother (who thought I needed to get them each something wedding-related) and my MOH (who freaked when she realized she had to figure out what jewelry to wear for the wedding, since I would not be getting everyone matching earring sets).  I've tried to deflect all of that as gracefully as possible.  I've been a bridesmaid 3 times and I don't use or even still own any of the items that were given to me by the brides, as they were all specific to their weddings and things that weren't at all about my personal taste.  I'm trying to break the mold in my circle here!

Anyway, curious about what your absolute favorite or most memorable gifts you received as a bridesmaid were.  I have everyone mostly covered at this point but would love some ideas for add-ons that maybe haven't crossed my mind yet and would also work for some of my besties.  Thanks all!
    Ditto what the pirate said.  I've never gotten a great bridesmaid gift.  What I'd like if I was in a wedding next month or so would be a great pair of blingy dangly earrings I could wear to the wedding or not and a six pack of expensive-ish (more than $10) craft beer.  Less than $30 spent by the bride and I'd be a happy girl.
  • Options
    PupatellaPupatella member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2015
    So the best bridesmaid gift I have ever received...

My best friend crocheted some coasters for us. I know this doesn't sound like much, but I love having something that I know she personally made. She even asked us which colors we would like. It's not about the money, but about the thought, and the time she took to make them all. 

• Options
    A heartfelt note and a large starbucks gift card.

I love me some coffee and that was way more meaningful than earrings that I can't or wont wear again (Sensitive skin, can only wear the expensive stuff)
  • Options
    I've never gotten anything that wasn't stupid wedding related crap. 

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I've only been in one wedding :( But, it was my best friends wedding and she got me a fabulous Michael Kors bag. Totally my style, and I love it. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I've only been in one wedding and we received Coach wallet bags -- very cute but kind of impractical (it doesn't fit anything besides a few cards and a few bills) -- I think the bride was going for a big brand name gift for a low price. We also got earrings which we were forced to wear at the wedding (I later either hid them in my closet somewhere or threw them out, I forget). 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I haven't gotten any good gifts, but the worst was a bag full of generic lotions and "spa" things - things I'd never use personally, or that I'd want to pick out myself because I'm particular about scents, and won't use cheap ones. At the risk of sounding like a brat, it was kind of awkward because all the groomsmen got really nice personally engraved flasks, and then all the bridesmaids got our bags. I didn't even expect anything before the gifts were handed out, but I definitely felt like we were second tier afterwards. 
  • Options
    Oddly, it was a necklace & earrings to wear in the wedding.  But it was when I was my own sister's MOH, and she totally knows my style, so I've worn them a zillion times since.  She also had each of us pick our own dress (same length/color/fabric) and I've worn that again too!
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  The responses definitely make me feel good about my decision to buck "tradition" and get them something I think they will actually love and use in life, not just the wedding day.  Kind of sad that so many of us can't even name a favorite BM gift because they've all been wedding-related stuff.

Noted on the booze - excellent gift add-on if I need something to round out anyone's gifts!

• Options

This, sadly.  On top of it, the tote bags I've gotten are crazy-cheap (in terms of quality) and never hold up to hauling daycare supplies, pool stuff, etc.  I exorcised them all from my closet.
  • Options
    In every wedding I've been in, I've always been given jewelry to wear for the wedding. Jewelry I've never worn again. So I've never gotten a bridesmaid gift I would consider "the best gift."
    This.  I was a BM once.  I was given a bracelet to wear to the wedding.  I guess technically not a gift then.  So if it's a gift, I didn't like it.  I don't have a "best gift."
  • Options
    A bottle of wine and a corkscrew. Everything else I have received was the standard wedding related, matchy matchy.
  • Options
    I've always gotten jewelry but the jewelry has always been my style. Unfortunately the one bracelet was cheap and tarnished quickly, but I did wear it quite a bit until then. I wore an illusion necklace quite a bit until that broke too (a common hazard with illusion styles). 

I gave my bridesmaids various purses that suited their styles. Then, when I was a BM in one of their weddings, she gave all her BMs clutch-style purses too (see the "totally copying me" thread on Snarky, haha). I use that all the time, so that is my "best gift."

• Options
    C525C525 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    My best friends wedding in 2010 was the tops, i can immediately think of what she gave us. Every other wedding since then has been forgettable, to be honest... because it was probably jewelry for the day of (which served its purpose, wasn't necessarily a bad thing)

the 2010 gift was a Lands End type LARGE canvas/tote bag with our names stitched on top. its PERFECT for the beach and currently is the large bag holding smaller bags in my closet until next summer.
  • Options

All the weddings I've been in, I was given items for the wedding.  Jewelry (which I wasn't forced to wear, but have worn on many occasions), a clutch, heart felt notes.  My fiancé hates knickknacks, and wanted to give our wedding party an experience.  So we rented a house for a long holiday weekend, and provided the food and alcohol as our way to thank them.  Everyone had a blast and it gave us all a chance to hang out together.  It went over really well and we gave a speech about how much they all mean to us, which turned into drunken speeches by each person in the wedding party with lots of laughter and tears.  So now we are just giving accessories to the wedding party, along with personal notes to each.

• Options
    A crystal votive. I collect a particular type of crystal. It's honestly the only bm gift I remember loving.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    My hotel stay paid for at an out of town wedding and a gift card for a restaurant the bride knew I had reservations for the Thursday before her wedding.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2015
    My hotel stay paid for at an out of town wedding and a gift card for a restaurant the bride knew I had reservations for the Thursday before her wedding.
    I got something similar.

C525 said:
    My best friends wedding in 2010 was the tops, i can immediately think of what she gave us. Every other wedding since then has been forgettable, to be honest... because it was probably jewelry for the day of (which served its purpose, wasn't necessarily a bad thing)

the 2010 gift was a Lands End type LARGE canvas/tote bag with our names stitched on top. its PERFECT for the beach and currently is the large bag holding smaller bags in my closet until next summer.
    I got one of those too as a BM gift!   Great beach bag.   I've had it for 9 years now.  Still holding up just fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

Me neither.
  • Options
    missa011missa011 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2015

FSIL gave us monogrammed makeup cases that held a champagne glass and split of champagne, a starbucks gift card, a reusable water bottle, and small pearl earrings that she wanted us to wear for the wedding, that I actually have used again (I'm actually wearing them today). The makeup bag was kind of unnecessary (for me, I don't wear a lot of makeup), but a cute presentation which I knew she was going for. The rest I thought were awesome, I keep the water bottle at work and champagne and coffee are ALWAYS good ideas.

• Options
    Best gift: a voucher for a massage and mani at the spa at the hotel we stayed at for the wedding. It was such a treat the next day!
    Worst: £2 FLIP FLOPS for the party after the reception, with my name on them. Thanks.
  • Options
    Most of the weddings I've been in have been matchy wedding jewelry. (Including the one with matching pantyhose.) 2 weddings bucked that trend. One of the brides gave me a very nice jewelry box from Ireland which I love. (She knew my taste.) The other one the bride gave us nice sturdy tote bags filled with different things. Mine had a spa robe/wrap with my name on it, a pair of NICE flip flops, these rhinestone hair things she wanted us to wear (have never worn them again), some snacks, drinks, etc...and a bottle of tequila. Best by far.
  • Options
    Best gift I've received as a bridesmaid was a little bag with a kimono (for getting ready, which I still use in the summer), a scarf that could be used as a wrap (outdoor wedding, scarf was in a complementary color to the dress) that I wear all the time, flat, foldable ballet slippers from sidekicks that we all wore for dancing (and that I still wear sometimes), and also some mini make-up products and small things like that (nice hair ties, mini Benefit mascara, etc.).  

I just got married a few weeks ago and I did personalized birthday-like gifts for my bridesmaids because they are all so different, I couldn't think of any one thing that would match their individual styles (one bridesmaid had gauged ears and a sternum piercing, so earrings/necklaces were out!).  I kept an eye on Kate Spade sale on sales, and found cute wallets and whatnot for very reasonable prices, and found an array of other items for the girls and everyone loved their gifts.    
  • Options
    I went with jewelry but in my defense I don't want them to wear it for the wedding. I tried to do it all individually but I suck suck suck at buying presents. So each girl is getting a necklace with a delicate gold lily on it -- maybe quarter of an inch -- with a pearl set in it. Simple but classy I hope. Then they're each getting a bottle of wine or booze and a personalized wine glass. I don't mean personalized like just their name or something -- one girl is super into fitness so I got her one that said "Don't judge me I ran today" etc. etc. 

I hope these are good ... I really suck suck suck at presents! 

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • Options
    When i was in my MOH wedding, she got us a lot of little things, she gave us personalized wine glasses which I always use, a monogram clutch to use at the wedding and I use everytime I need a clutch and get so many compliments on it AND she gave us monogrammed beach bags and xlarge beach towels.  I live by the Jersey shore and am a huge beach person as were the rest of the BM so it was a perfect gift.  I know a lot of people dont like the monogram stuff but it was all things I have used many times since!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards